Type two and food challenges

Sad indeed. With a CGM you can set a “high” threshold, and if you cross it just take some more insulin.

Just like living with insulin means that sometimes you’ll be low, it also means that sometimes you’ll be high. To stay healthy we treat both.

3 Likes

I would venture to say in non-North American countries. Europeans, or at least Mediterranean Europeans, are often astonished at portion sizes in the States especially, but also in Canada (though we Canadians, too, can be astonished at portion sizes in the States).

2 Likes

We eat dinner off of 7" plates so we are always amazed at inexpensive restaurant fare. We usually split one meal three ways.

With that said, if you want small plates in the US, you just need to go to the more expensive restaurants. Then it will be suitably small.

In Europe, location matters as well, in Germany you often get served large plates of food, in Switzerland, small…

1 Like

I was just in Paris, and while I usually eat on the lower carb side, I ate so many delicious carbs: bread, croissants, crepes, pastry, etc. I also was much more active than usual which meant lows, so some of it went to treat that, and based on my CGM results, the net result was maybe a 10-pt increase in my average bg level over the vacation, which was well worth it.

Mid-range chain restaurants (things like Applebees, TGIFridays, etc) in the US are the worst in terms of having huge portions with horrifying nutritional info. Thankfully, the millennials are killing them off apparently—I’m never sure whether to consider myself one, since I’m on the cusp, but I’ll join in the credit for that one.

4 Likes

Define “on the cusp” ? I Guess since your screen name both contains “mom” and is a spice that nobody under 60 has ever heard of I always assumed you were appreciably older than me

Sam - You need to make more Pho in your pressure cooker more often. Black Cardamom is a key spice!

Also, if my foggy brain remember correctly, it was the secret ingredient in the Bloody Mary contest on Cheers.

Sam…
I am not a smart guy, but I do know there are 3 things you never ask a woman.
:wink:

3 Likes

Hey, I’ve heard of cardamom…oh, wait

1 Like

Hahaha. I don’t know how old you are, but I’m in my mid-30s. No kids—the “mom” is definitely not intended as such. It’s just a user name I came up with a while back for accounts where I neither wanted to use my name (which for me, is most things, since aspects of my job require being careful about public info) nor any user names connected to my existing accounts that were more identifiable or ones I used on things like dating websites. I do in fact like cardamom despite my age—an essential component of good chai after all, and just generally delicious. But yes, by many definitions, I’m a millennial, but I also fall into the Gen Y/Oregon Trail Generation category, which I think is an accurate and important distinction from the rest of the millennials.

1 Like

OMG !!! I can’t believe you were masquerading as a Mom this whole time.

:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Well, I’ve been masquerading as a diabetic, so it’s all good.

5 Likes

What’s the third thing. I can think of two. Three? You’ve stumped me.

Also laughing because I assumed “mom” mean kiddos! Love your ability to talk me into believing something that’s not true and which you didn’t even try to talk me into! Ha!!! I now better understand your diabetes wisdom on alcohol - I was wondering if you’d been drinking with kids or just got a lot of babysitters or didn’t get sitters or…? (not judging, no kids here, plenty of booze).

And if anyone’s in love with cardamom/cardamum/cardamon there’s a delightful ice cream by Three Twins that is sometimes available in grocery stores on the west coast.

http://threetwinsicecream.com/products/ice-cream/dads-cardamom/

2 Likes

And I thought she was masquerading as a Swedish baker. Is there anything the Swedes don’t add cardamom to? If @Eric was a Swede, he’d have mixed it with his insulin long ago. Come to think of it, he probably already has.

5 Likes

Ha! The Oregon Trail generation :-1: I’m part of that too…

I’ve made cardamom cookies before.

3 Likes

First was Age.
Not sure what you thought of as the second?

I am pretty sure one of the three questions never to ask would be:
Are you pregnant?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

LOL. Totally! That’s question number three for sure. Weight would be the other no-no I figure.

I’ve seen women who are obviously pregnant and I wouldn’t ask ever. Sucks to have that wrong on either the asking or being asked end.

3 Likes

Hahaha, it never occurred to me someone might read it that way!!! Maybe I’ll need to change it to “cardanotamom”? I am sort of in the midst of trying to decide whether I will ever want to have biological kids though. Mid-30s are fun…

oooooh that sounds so good!

2 Likes

My thoughts on ideal age to start having kids is how old will you be by the time your last child is 18?

Kinda puts a different spin on thinking about it.

3 Likes

I mean, that’s sort of an obvious aspect to me, but at this point, I’m not going back in time so starting earlier is a moot point (and not something I’d have wanted to do during grad school anyway). For me, right now, it’s basically a question of whether I want to have biological kids at all. Both of my parents are in their late 60s and still fit and active, so starting a little later isn’t a big concern to me, and my partner (also female) is 8 years younger than I am and wants kids at some point. I’ve already decided I won’t be the one carrying pregnancies regardless, just trying to decide if I/we would want to use my eggs potentially and if I’d want that enough to bother harvesting some eggs now, while there are probably some good ones still left. So perhaps a relatively different spin altogether re: thinking about it than most folks on here, heh.

2 Likes

Actually, as someone who works with teens but isn’t all OMGGG about babies and toddlers, I’m way more into the idea of kids once they are a bit older, even though they are challenging at that age.

And anyway, I’m not really in a position to have kids right now, for a range of reasons, mostly that I’m not having kids at all without a partner who really wants them and is ready for them (including our relationship being at a point where it seems ready—I’ve seen way too many peers marry, procreate, and divorce to rush into that potential scenario), and those things aren’t in place for me at this moment.

1 Like