Type two and food challenges

Thai food last night, yum, but I skip the rice, too, and only have a small dab of peanut sauce on my skewer of chicken satay. I went into the meal with some BOB from an earlier correction so just took a 4-unit Afrezza for what I ate.

1 Like

I think they should just pump afrezza into the hvac systems at all Asian restaurantsā€¦ like they do fluoride in municipal water systems

10 Likes

For me, itā€™s not as much about the carbs from the rice, but the sauces that I think have A LOT more sugar than most people know. Itā€™s definitely a dual bolus combination of Afrezza/Novolog and before Afrezza it was likely a prolonged high on the back end (hour to an hour and a half after the meal).

3 Likes

I actually had to have a big bite of an oatmeal cookie when I got home! Guess I could have had more peanut sauce!

1 Like

I had a pretty good laugh at that :slight_smile: I can just visualize the powder coming out of the vents, along with the hot oil smell!

2 Likes

@SLEE, as the cook for our household a majority of the time, I would not take it badly at all if you asked for some modifications to our standard menu!

Another thought to consider: a good T2 menu is really healthy for the whole family, even if they decide to eat more staples and less vegetablesā€¦

5 Likes

And it can be delish! For a T1 also.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I call a ā€œnastyā€ meal of carbs and fats -delicious though :slight_smile:
Japanese food, Chinese food, tempura, dumplingsā€¦etc. I think the carbs typically may add up to 200g or more for a meal like that. Each tempura may be about 30g of carbs and lots of fat/oil/grease. The sushi rice has sugar AND carbs; each piece of sushi may be about 30g.

4 pieces of sushi roll about 120g
2 tempura pieces about 60g
2 Deep fried dumplings about 60g (depending on thick or thin skinned)
Sesame seeds with tempura sauce beef probably probably 60g+ if you eat the sauce.

This type of a meal would cause me to have a delayed rise in BG typically 3-5 hours after the first bite of food and even affect my next morning fasting.

My Japanese meal typically consists of a maximum of 3 tempuras, and grilled fish or other non carb; or beef with teriyaki sauce and sashimi- no rice; or rolls with rice and hamachi kama. I can only handle so much carbs before I literally start to have a headache. :slight_smile:

Chinese food - Iā€™ve also come to terms with only having up to 6 juicy buns (xiao long bao) and proteins, green vegsā€¦; or a small bowl of noodles - something whereby I donā€™t exceed 60-80g per meal. This probably varies from individual to individual. When I exceed 80g carbs for any given meal, I canā€™t seem to dose properly.

2 Likes

This sounds way too high. We count a single piece of sushi as 4~6 carbs.

I got to wonderingā€¦

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/guides/eating-sushi-with-diabetes/

You must eat at a place with pretty small rolls. We have done takeout and weighed, and we average more like 15-20 carbs per piece, however these are not tiny rolls, they are the specialty rolls that are bigger than a silver dollar and usually have a sauce. Very tasty, not easy to fill up our diabetic though.

I agree that 120 seems high for 4 pieces.

Thatā€™s higher than Iā€™d have counted them too. These were small Iā€™d have probably figured 10g each and a typical larger piece Iā€™d consider 15ā€¦ like Iā€™ve mentioned elsewhere though ā€œcountsā€ are highly individualized

This is a buffet so the ones we get are the smaller slices and no breading or tempura.

I use 12g for nigiri, 4g for the small rolls (maki) and 6g for the California rolls. I tend to avoid the bigger specialty rolls and I do a WAG on the tempura.

This is my Asian food carb counting reference ā€¦
http://www.bcchildrens.ca/endocrinology-diabetes-site/documents/carbasian.pdf

4 Likes

Very useful listing ā€“ thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

120 g for 4 pieces may seem high except if the establishment adds sugar to the sushi rice. I used to not account for the additional sugar and was messed up quite a number of times. Asian restaurant foods are very difficult to dose for accurately. Do they use sugar? corn syrup? Packaged Asian Foods from Costco are easier to ā€œquantifyā€ because of the labelled carb content. They donā€™t taste the same. When I was a gestational diabetic, I resorted to eating ā€œpackagedā€ foods for about 1 month because I didnā€™t receive much help in the way of carb counting techniques and general education. It was also in the days of R and ?NPH? (it was so long ago that Iā€™m drawing a blank).

1 Like

Liquid insulin + Asian foods = fail

In my experience anyway

2 Likes

I have yet to use my Afreeza. I was all set to use it a little while ago when I was eating Asian food, I pre bolused and thought it best to not use Afreeza.

At all but the cheapest places they should season the rice with a mixture of vinegar, sugar, salt and gasp - MSG.

We used to make sushi at home quite often, and the difference between seasoned rice and unseasoned rice is enormous Seasoned rice for the win!

2 Likes

That sounds like a great approach. For me, eating food of any nationality is all about portion control. Sometimes easier said than done, especially at a buffet (your son deserves serious kudoā€™s for self control at an all you can eat buffet!!) If I constrain the amount of rice or noodles or whatever to a reasonable amount, then it is pretty much the same as eating Western food in my experience. It helps that in non-Western countries the default meal serving size seems to be less than it is here, or at least thatā€™s what Iā€™ve found in Asia and Central America.

I travel to Japan for work for several weeks at a time periodically, and I seek out Japanese food (especially conveyor belt sushi) since part of the fun of traveling for me is eating that cultureā€™s food. I read a thread on another site recommending a traveler should pack lots of cans of tuna fish when they leave so they could avoid all the native high carb food - to me that is just sad.

I eat a higher proportion of carb (and less vegetable) when Iā€™m traveling, but if I just pay attention to how much I am eating it seems to work pretty well, even using liquid insulin (since thatā€™s all Iā€™ve ever used).

4 Likes