Type 1 (LADA) Trying Ozempic?

Glad the Ozempic is working. I wouldn’t think that the anxiety is related - sounds like you’ve got enough on your plate to cause a stress reaction in anyone. Of course, I’ve been an anxiety neurotic much longer than I’ve been a diabetic, so take that for what it’s worth. :yum:

2 Likes

Just wanted to give an update on my Ozempic journey. Side effects gone, anxiety passed (and may have been entirely unrelated). I have no food related stress/chatter or binge eating, or even cravings of bad food. I am only on the lowest dose 0.25 and plan to stay here for as long as I can (may never move up). I have lost 18lbs in 5 weeks, which is a little faster than I’d like to lose, but I’m paying attention now to getting protein in. It’s like I finally have freedom from my food addiction. I eat healthy, I don’t turn to food to self soothe. I think at first the discomfort of not having food to soothe led to a bit of depressed feelings, but that has passed. I’m now working out since I’m no longer nauseated. This drug is a miracle for me, and even though it’s $$$ at $250 per pen, I hope I can take it forever, because I was blowing far more than that on food delivery, binging then throwing out foods, etc. It was a terrible addiction spiral I can’t even explain the nightmare it was and how bad it was for my blood sugar control. I really hope that insurance covers this someday for more than Type 2 Diabetes alone, because it has been the only thing that has worked for me with my disordered eating.

5 Likes

@jo_jo this is incredible to hear! I am so happy for you. But seriously, please do look into using the manufacturer’s savings card! I have used them for my migraine medications and the process is v straightforward. Send me a msg if you have any questions :grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll look into this!

2 Likes

Started 0.50 dosage today (16-May). I’m down 21 lbs, got a normal (for a Diabetic) A1C for the first time in years, and the nausea is better (mostly gone, sometimes pops up, usually on days 3 & 4 post shot). I am getting lows lately, so I’ve dialed down my I:C ratio, basal and correction factor slightly.

Really, really hoping the increase doesn’t bring back nausea. I think it was about 4 extra clicks, so I don’t expect it to be too extreme a jump, but I’ll see.

Cravings are better, but not totally gone like they were in the beginning. I’m still paying out of pocket, which is really hard when it’s so $$$, but I’m feeling it’s worth it for the mental peace from junk food addiction and the havoc that has wreaked on my control for years.

Just posting an update so I can look back on this and see how it’s gone, and it might be of interest to someone else.

2 Likes

Thought I’d provide an update on my Ozempic journey. I’m now at 0.75mg. I stalled on losing any weight and cravings were really bad for about 2 months at the .50 and upwards (I titrated a few clicks at a time). I’m just now experiencing lessened cravings, but not as lessened as the beginning of the Ozempic journey. I’m down a few more pounds since the 2nd 0.75 dose. I found out today that it will not be covered (it has taken this long for a decision). I am terrified to stop, in case all the weight comes back, so I’m trying to sell things on the side to make the money. I also finally have A1C’s = 7 which I haven’t experienced in years. And my next A1C is looking like it may be in the 6’s. I am going to see if there is anything my Endo can do to help me get it covered, but I suspect it will not be.

4 Likes

@jo_jo Thanks for the continued feedback on your efforts!

3 Likes

@jo_jo the diagnosis codes are key. Do you know what your Endo listed? The insurance company will most likely want to see non-T1D related codes, like:

*Insulin resistance
*Overweight
*Obese
*T2DM (a possible comorbidity with T1)

The above are approved uses for the GLP-1/GIP class of drugs.

If you have the time: call your insurance company and ask what diagnosis codes they approve for Ozempic use.

Since you’re the paying the premium, you have the right to know the details of your contract. Keep saying: “I’ll hold for the answer, thank you.” Use speaker or earbuds and do other tasks while you wait, on hold, for the answer.

I’ve become a master at this. Ask for, and write down, the name of each person with whom you speak (date and time, too).

Also, ask your Endo about mounjaro, which may work better for you. It’s a GLP1-GIP combo. Same approval process.

DISCLAIMER. I am not a healthcare professional. Consult all treatment options with your doctor.

4 Likes

Thank you! I will follow the above advice.

I am not overweight anymore, so I’m not sure the Endo will fight for my case or even keep prescribing Ozempic for me. I am so scared to think of returning to the horrible addictive behavior I had with food for YEARS and the weight gain, should I stop. I’m hoping when I see him, he will have a visual as to how much healthier I look, he will see my blood work and A1C’s in range for the first time in over a decade, and possibly help me try to work to have it approved, or perhaps switch to a similar medication, like the one you’ve mentioned above. I will come to the appointment with the insurance code details.

Thank you!

6 Likes

Well, I’m officially a year in to the Ozempic journey. Here’s my 1 year update:

• Struggled with nausea the entire time (some periods where it dissipated, but was never entirely gone for a long stretch of time).
  • Started at a 0.25 dose struggled terribly with nausea. Eventually got to the 0.75 dose of about 6 months ago, and went back down to 0.25 for several months (4-5 ish) then started to gain a few pounds, so titrated back up.
  • Been at the .50 + 10 clicks for 1.5ish months now at a healthy low weight of 130lbs (I’m 5’6" and 43 years old). I also take birth control pill. I still struggle with nausea at this dose, probably barfing or dry heaving 1 day a week and often a day or 2 of feeling pretty crappy. Majorly reduced appetite.
  • I think .5 didn’t work for me for a while, but it is again. I think the difference is I’m eating better (ie actual protein vs dry carbs) and working out regularly and staying hydrated. .50 may be my “sweet spot” to feeling okay enough to not barf, a little help with a reduced appetite but still need will power to stay on track, able to workout regularly.

I see my Endo in Feb. I don’t know what to do moving forward, or what he’ll allow for that matter. I kind of want to wean myself off the meds, but I do worry of course that I’ll just gain everything back. I’ve certainly developed better workout and eating habits, so I think I could retain those, but who knows if that’s just because the medication is giving me the mental space to do so.

I haven’t been covered this entire time, so I cringe at the money I’ve spent. But the food noise was driving me absolutely crazy and the cycle of binge eating was ruining my life and health. So what’s that worth to me financially? (I’m literally going into debt for this). IDK. Second to the peace and better health, I love the way I look for the first time in over a decade. That has done wonders for me in all areas of my life. It’s no small thing to feel a bit of self love again after years of digging deep to feel any self worth.

IDK. We’ll see. This is more a reflection than expectation for anything response wise. But I do welcome any comments for consideration.

7 Likes

I was at my DiaDoc’s office yesterday, with him was a new intern. He emphasized to her that I was not taking the Ozempic for weight loss, but rather for the cardiovascular and kidney benefits. I think that is the way for your endo to code it for the insurance company. And it is a very valid reason, and have not had any problem with Medicare paying for it.
Mike

6 Likes

Thank you! I will come to my upcoming appointment with this information :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a few thoughts on some of these topics. But I know this is a personal issue, so I am a little hesitant to offer anything.

Would you like to discuss some of these things, or is this better left as a personal reflection?

3 Likes

Please do go ahead, and thanks for asking:) I will try to table any defensive feelings as I read!!

3 Likes

There is a lot of great stuff to take from all of this. You feel better about yourself. Setting a goal, working toward a goal, reaching a goal - all of those are positive things.

This is great to hear:

I am often very hard on myself. I think there are many people that are that way. We are often our own toughest critics.

I find myself frequently having to correct how I speak to myself. For example, if I spill something, I might instinctively call myself stupid, and I say it out loud - “Stupid!”.

And then I will correct myself, and say, “Oops!”. And I say that out loud too, just to emphasize that I am not stupid, it was a simple mistake.

This is just a small example of something I do. But I know how it is when we are down on ourselves for things. I know how it is when we can beat ourselves up over things.

Something you said made me want to share this with for you.

I think we often treat ourselves so much worse than we would ever treat others.

Here is a little illustration…

Imagine you are a kindergarten teacher. In your class there is a young girl. She is 6 years old, and a very good student. She tries very hard, and is a great listener and always does what is asked of her. And she is a little bit overweight.

One day, about midway through the school year, you pull her aside and you say to her, “I like you so much more now that you have lost some weight. You were really pudgy at the beginning of the year. I did not like you as much back then.

Would you ever say that to a young child? Certainly not.

Why is it we are so hard on ourselves though? Why do we sometimes treat ourselves in a way we would never treat others?

I ask this because I do that to myself sometimes too. I speak to myself in a way that I would never treat another person.

I am writing all of this to try to encourage you to keep doing what you are doing. And feeling proud and happy about losing weight and reaching goals and feeling better about yourself are wonderful things.

But love yourself no matter what. Your feeling of self-worth can be based on so much more. Things like your character, and how you treat others, and what you do for others, and so many things.

I want to encourage you to love yourself unconditionally.

I would never say to you, “I like you more now that you have lost weight.” And I don’t think you should say that to yourself either.

I don’t know if I expressed this well. I hope so. I just want to encourage you to love yourself unconditionally.

Maybe a simpler way to say it is this:

Saying “I love the way I look” is better than saying “I love myself for the first time in many years.”

Those two things are totally different.

9 Likes

@jo_jo I second all of what @Eric said. I think most of us are toughest on ourselves. @Eric’s examples about how he treats himself are eerily recognizable, thought I don’t often get to the “Oops!” part! And, there are often things I’d never say out loud to others…and chastise myself for even thinking about someone else!

Hang in there, do what you think is right for you and press ahead!

7 Likes

Sorry for my silence - life has been… complicated!

@jo_jo I’m glad to hear you found your sweet spot. I’m still at the 0.5mg dose and staying there - my Endo agrees it’s all I need for crazy incessant hunger pangs, BG control, and weight stabilization. I have no nausea, constipation, etc.

For cost: have you tried the coupons?

Because these are hormones (GLP1&GIP) that are dysfunctional in the absence of a normal pancreas/islet cells, I (and my endo) see my ozempic as being just as important as insulin in my therapy.

Take the ozempic away and quality of life suffers along with BG control, weight, and more. It’s literally hormone replacement, like insulin - except we die without insulin, but why give us only the bare minimum to stay alive? I’m fine with staying on a glp1 the rest of my life, since it’s such a low dose.

I hope to add the GIP hormone to the mix someday, as in mounjaro…so far no luck in getting it approved. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes