Experiences coming off of Ozempic (or like drug)?

My bank account, and general feeling of wellness are considering coming off Ozempic. I am curious if others with T1D, using Oz off label, who have been on it 1+ years have managed to keep the weight off after stopping, and whether the food noise come back with a vengeance. The latter is my main concern, because it’s what messes with my control so badly. The former is important to me, but I’m trying to let that go a bit.

3 Likes

Several years ago, I had to stop victoza, also a glp1. We weened me off very slowly, since these are hormones.

All of it came back. The noise, hunger, higher insulin needs, and weight gain. With a vengeance. I forgot how much it had helped.

When the newer class of glp1 and gip came on the market, I was hesitant to try. I’m now 2 years in and remain at a very low dose.

I hope things work out for you!

4 Likes

The NY Times had an article some time ago, of a study done 10+ years ago in Sweden. The upshot is that patients on glp were less likely to gain weight back if they were on an exercise regimen before discontinuing compared to a control group not exercising.

Mike.

1 Like

Would you be willing to share how low your dose is? I’m currently taking 27 clicks 2 times a week (on Wed night and Sat night). I have mild nausea sometimes, but no longer puke. And I still crave junk food, but can’t overeat it.

@jo_jo Not sure which pen/concentration you’re using?

I’m on the starter pen (photo attached), and never went beyond it. I am taking 0.5 mg, 1X/week. No nausea or vomiting, no cramps, no constipation, etc.

Why are you taking it 2X/week?

That’s odd to me, and could explain the symptoms given its half life. You’re stacking it quite a bit!

You might actually get fewer symptoms if you took somewhere between the 27 and 54 clicks, but only 1X/week - talk to your Dr!

Maybe skip that second dose for 2-3 weeks to clear it out. See how you feel first there. Then if you need to increase, work out how many more clicks to add with your dr.

I hope you get it sorted out!

I am not a medical professional, these are talking points for your Dr.

2 Likes

I’m using the other pen. 2x a week split dose actually drastically helped with symptoms of nausea for me. I am thinking of lowering the dose again, but I still have cravings at this dose, so idk. I was good at 0.25 for so long, then it seemed to not work at all for me. I’ve never gotten above what I’m currently at.

1 Like