Type 1 diabetic for 10 years ╮(╯∀╰)╭

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in my early 20’s. Growing up I always had issues with my immune system. I was sick a whole lot. My mom would say “At least you don’t have to give yourself shots everyday!” playing on my extreme fear of needles. So of course, I ended up getting the one disease that exploits my huge phobia, heh. I have an amazing partner that has been my support since day one. I am not sure I would be here today without him doing the shots I needed.

I got pregnant five years ago and have a healthy 5 year old boy today. My pregnancy was tough. I had to have a C-Section so of course I worried about the epidural the entire nine months. My little guy was worth it no doubt and if anything, the entire experience has made me stronger.

I have gotten to a comfortable place of acceptance with my disease. I never could have imagined 11 years ago giving myself shots, getting CGM’s inserted, and starting my training for my first pump in a few weeks. Type 1 sucks but the technology out there makes it bearable. For instance, I bought and used Buzzy, a vibrating distraction from injections, for years to help with my shot phobia. I try to keep up with all the new research and tools to help out. Anything to help relieve the struggle of daily life with type 1.

7 Likes

Hi, welcome to the site!

What kind of pump are you getting?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed just before my 30th birthday… it has been quite a change of pretty much everything. I never had a big phobia of needles, bet that has been quite a challenge. Glad you joined. I’ll be interested to hear how adapting to pumping goes for you after a decade + of MDI.

3 Likes

I’m getting the Medtronic 670. The company has sort of been difficult. I’m hoping the pump is worth it.

1 Like

One of the good things about MDI - it’s super easy to go back. No insurance hassles if you want to return to MDI. If the 670G isn’t right for you, no harm in trying for a while.

3 Likes

Hi Pikachu_Lollipops!

I was also diagnosed late, at 27, and went through 2 pregnancies after diagnosis. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy and had c-sections (and epidurals!) for all three. Pregnancy was hard… motherhood has been even harder. :grin:

I also use the 670 and have spent a LOT of time over the last year figuring it out. I just wanted to offer my help if you find yourself in need. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing you around!

4 Likes

Sorry for my curiosity, but what is the meaning of the characters next to your title? Some meme I haven’t run across? Looks to me like an upside down A jumping rope, but I’m sure that isn’t it?

That’s good to know. It seems like it might help with the daily stuff of insulin management but also seems a bit intimidating.

1 Like

Aww, thanks for reaching out. I may have questions about it! It seems like a lot to know. The trainer said I can’t start “auto mode” right away which is a bummer. That’s the main reason I wanted to try it. If it’s pretty complicated though, it’s probably for the best.

1 Like

Haha, it’s a jemoticon or Japanese emoticon.

Site to check: www. jemoticons. com

Sorry, it won’t let me link it for you.

I searched for ‘Shrugging’ So it’s suppose to be a little guy shrugging his shoulders.

2 Likes