Travel tips for PWDs

Greetings everyone from Spain. We are finishing up the first part of our trip and have had a wonderful time - mostly sightseeing. It’s been quite cold here (mid 50s) and they have had unusual “muddy” rain - it contains sand from the sahara that comes across from Africa to the costa del sol, and when it rains everything gets muddy. Highly unusual for Spain.

We’ve been eating pretty well, but I’ve been finding that blood sugar control is a little bit easier here than in the US - not sure why. Could be, as @jbowler suggests, that it’s just I’m more active here on vacation.

Anyway, things are going pretty well from a blood sugar p.o.v. Thanks @JessicaD for asking.

9 Likes

I find that too except for the UK which is carb-overload. It may just be a matter of taking more care (though that doesn’t explain the UK), but I suspect that it comes down to addition of disaccharides to everything in the US, even things that don’t need it - tomato sauce with added sugar? Mexico City a couple of weeks ago was simply avoidance (beans, no, rice, no chocolate, umm nice, but no; they seem to add sugar in Mexico City.)

My Spanish rule is no paella, my Italian rule is no primi, my brit rule is go to Safeway. However you are going to Portugal, and I have no rules there, well, no Port, apart from that (and even then, I do not obey) you can have Atlantic fish (the Spanish do on the north too, but everything is overfished up there[politics blurred]), you can enjoy Fado, which makes everything taste good, though often sad. You can buy shirts that fit me (YMMV).

Damn, I need to be there too; I’ve never in my life been to the center of Spain, think Cordoba and everything east, west and north of there (until you get to Catalonia, Portugal or the Bay of Biscay), not even Granada. Sad. Needs to be fixed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just a quick update that you all might appreciate - from the Malaga airport.

I put a new sensor in yesterday, and it failed! Fortunately, I packed an extra, so (hopefully) I will be able to substitute. I am currently on hold with Dexcom technical support - calling them at perhaps the absolute worst time to try to reach them - it’s about 1.00 AM on sunday morning in San Diego.

Even if the extra fails, I have a finger stick monitor - that’s the backup to my backup. I hope I don’t need it.

@jbowler - we were in Marbella, which is full of brits. We did get a chance to go to Granada and see the Alhambra - really beautiful. Also we went to a small but famous town called Ronda which is perched on two sides of a huge gorge.

4 Likes

Did you try using the online request for sensor replacement?
https://dexcom.custhelp.com/app/webform

If its a sensor failure, they will usually just send it out, and respond via email. Maybe try that next time. No need to wait on hold.

4 Likes

Thanks @MM2 - I wanted to find out if there was something I could do to maybe resuscitate the sensor - turns out the answer to that is ‘no’. they will send me a new one.

2 Likes

Occasionally I have sensor that stops reading, but no error. I use xDrip and can sometimes see additional messages. I may see readings again, especially after getting more hydrated to help.

1 Like

Thursday, I’m flying for the first time since diagnosis. It’s been a long time, like 25 years! Having no experience flying with syringes and the like, I thought I’d check with the experts first.

I read that I can have all supplies in carry on bag, maybe even a dedicated extra carry-on, if I treat D as a disability. I have a backup for everything in my bug out bag (thanks Eric!). I’m on MDI therapy with a libre 3 CGM, which connects to my phone.

How about CGMs? Do they need to be treated specially?

Other thoughts for the homebody?

1 Like

Here are some general tips:

• Don’t ever check anything diabetes related. Always carry it with you on the plane.

• Bring backups/spares for everything.

• Syringes going through x-ray are not a problem. I have done that a million times and have never had it flagged by security.

• Bring enough D stuff to last longer in case you are delayed/stuck somewhere.

• For longer trips, if you are carrying 2 bags on the flight, split your stuff between them in such a way that if you lose either bag, or either bag gets stolen, you are still okay. For example, syringes are in both bags, insulin vials are in both bags, vials of strips in each bag, etc.

• Dexcom is no problem. Run it through x-ray with your bag. I have done it a million times and it has never caused a problem for me with sensors or with the receiver.

Sometimes the overhead bins fill up, and they try to make you check a carry-on bag. You do not have to ever check your diabetes stuff.

Print this out and have it, just in case a flight attendant tries to make you check your bag. It is from a transportation.gov site, so it’s their rules which you can show if you need to.

Here is the relevant part:

Things to Know

Can I bring my assistive device in the passenger cabin of the aircraft?

Yes.  You may bring your assistive device with you on an airplane and stow it in the passenger compartment in the following locations:
    In an overhead compartment;
    Under the seat in front of you; or
    In a designated stowage area if the device fits and is in accordance with FAA or foreign safety regulations.
5 Likes

Thanks @Eric !

Another question: how to carry smarties or glucose tabs ? Can I keep on my person, or do they need to be in the diabetes supplies bag, or both?

1 Like

You can put them wherever you want EXCEPT when going through the body scanner.

It won’t get flagged if you walk through an x-ray scanner, but if you have to go through the Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) full-body scanner, it will get flagged and you will be “that guy” who delays everyone because you get stopped and hold everyone up.

I suggest having a secure zippered side pocket on your carry-on bag, and putting everything from your pants pockets into that side pocket right before you drop your bag on the conveyor belt.

And then as soon as your bag comes out on the other side, put that stuff back into your pants pocket. That way, you are only separated from your glucose tabs for a few minutes.

You can also go through the manual screening by saying you have a disability, but I don’t know why anyone would want to hassle with all of that.

6 Likes

@mike_g First and foremost: hand carry your T1 supplies, do NOT check it in luggage! The reasons are lost and delayed luggage arrival, temperature extremes of checked luggage, etc. Second, for any tech (pump, CGM) and any insulin products, take more than you think you need! This will vary depending on the length of your travel and your tendency to experience CGMs/pumps getting ripped off or not staying on reliably. For even a short trip take one extra CGM/pump and an extra pen/vile of insulin. Third, if traveling in/through the US, my experience has been extremely varied with TSA. I have not used TSA’s call ahead service (TSA Cares, 855-787-2227) to walk me thru security checks, you may want to check it out. I’ve read that it’s great, I’ve read that it took forever for the TSA agent to show up. I’ve relied on the normal TSA folks and their training being substantially the same…that is clearly not the case. It will also depend on your take regarding manufacturer recommendations regarding pumps/CGMs vs x-rays, magnetometers, and millimeter wave systems. You need to check on your CGM/pump manufacturer recs and decide on your own comfort level with those. My take is x-rays and magnetometers are fine (I use Dash pumps, Dexcom G6). As a result, I’ve experienced no issues with x-ray/magnetometers with pumps/CGM. I’ve also (once or twice) risked the mm wave (enter chamber, stand/raise arms, it rotates around you) with no ill effects noted. However, I found Dexcom rec’s against mm wave tech; as a result, I’ve experienced everything from a no problem hand search to a detailed hand search rivaling literally ANYTHING I’ve heard of, used (I’m previous law enforcement where my life depended on a good search), seen, or read about. The experience was so ridiculous and time consuming I asked for a supervisor AND wrote TSA a scathing letter with no response. It seems TSA depends on a lack of consistent training and enforced standardization so as to intentionally result in field variation so the bad guys can’t figure out a method around TSA’s checks. The result is: the good guys (presumably you and me) are at TSA’s mercy; objecting or asking for a supervisor does nothing but take more time, get TSA defensive, and earning TSA statements their just following policy, process, and procedures…if so, their policies, processes, and procedures allow for extremely wide interpretation. The point is, make up your mind on the potential risk to various T1 tech and live with what you get, don’t plan on sympathy from TSA or similar checks overseas. Many T1s say they have suffered no ill effects from any of the security technology used, a few have said they have; many T1s say they’ve experienced TSA folks that have been appropriately trained and others, like myself, say they’ve experienced otherwise. As with most things T1, YDMV! Fourth, don’t let an airline tell you have to check or gate check your supplies (reasonable amount, hand carried), tell them its medical treatment supplies and they should leave you alone. Fifth, depending on the length of your trip, take some of your own food/snacks in your carry-on, that you know how to treat for or that don’t spike you. Do NOT rely on airline diabetic meals; my experience has been airline diabetic meals are great if you’re experiencing an extreme low (grapes, orange slices, breads, cookies).

Much of the above doesn’t paint a great picture…none of it means “Don’t fly!” just follow the Boy Scout motto and “Be Prepared!” I’m sure others will have a great recommendations, consolidate the thoughts, and enjoy your travels!

7 Likes

I started carrying around one of those small glucose tab tubes various manufacturers sell. I refill it using one of the larger bottles. Others carry smarties, M&Ms, or similar depending on their likes and dislikes. They’ll fit in a pants pocket or small back pack with other supplies and travel snacks!

4 Likes

I pay the $85 for 5 years of TSA Precheck. Lines are much shorter (like 15 people when the main lines are 100 people) which helps because I don’t let them send my pump through the xray or the mm wave machine. I just tell them it’s a medical device and hand it to them. They wipe it and my hands to test for something (I’m guessing explosives) and I keep an eye on my pump the whole time. It adds a few extra minutes.

I put glucose tables, snacks and a few days of diabetes supplies in a backpack which I stow under the seat in front of me. (I’m not tall so I don’t need to stretch my legs all the way under the seat). I put the rest of my supplies in my carryon. That way, I’m never separated from at least my first few days of supplies. I didn’t know about the rule of being able to keep medical stuff if the crew wants me to check my carryon — I’ll try to remember to put my excess medical stuff in a bag inside my carryon which I can then take out if my bag needs to go under the plane.

7 Likes

I packed two liquid bags in my carry on last month and was prepared to tell the agent that one was medical liquids(gel packs, insulin , etc…). I had an applesauce packet in my purse that I forgot about as well. To my surprise they said nothing about it.

Is this the norm?? Not sure. I also have TSA precheck.

2 Likes

@Eric , @TomH , @ned , @Josie : thanks! I appreciate all your perspectives to help me learn. All the different viewpoints are helpful, especially given the nature of TSA, as @TomH points out, and, all the differences in how we approach this disease.

It should be a great trip!

3 Likes

Have fun, and post some pictures! :star_struck:

2 Likes

I missed the part about where you were going? Have a good time and let us know how it went.

e

2 Likes

Ahh yes, left that part out! Denver en route to San Francisco, then driving up to Eureka CA area (Ferndale) for a wedding. Never been there, so plan to do a bit of hiking etc

4 Likes

I don’t think there is a norm…depends on the airport. The worst TSA experience I’ve had so far has been at Newark airport a few years ago. For whatever reason they wanted all food out of the carryon and placed in the bins which caused quite a kerfuffle at the checkpoint.

4 Likes

The input from @Eric is spot on (no shock there :smile:)!

3 Likes