Time of day Loop bug

So I figured out what is happening with my Loop basal rates.

(The bug is related to what I saw here, it is kind of an answer to what happened to me in this thread ===> Loop - a disturbing thing I saw today)

The issue is basically that the time of day is always one hour behind. So for example, if I have a basal rate set to start at 11:30am, that rate won’t actually start until 12:30pm.

If I have a 2pm basal rate, it does not start until 3pm. On and on like that. Every single rate is an hour late!

(This is NOT closed Loop!!! This is when it is in open Loop mode, so it is my pre-programmed basal rates, nothing to do with Loop making adjustments.)

So I have checked my phone settings. The phone time is set correctly. I am in Eastern Daylight Savings time now. My phone is set to automatically be at the correct time.

What am I missing? Is Loop being thrown off by the 1 hour daylight savings time thing? Loop shows the correct time of day in the upper left corner. So Loop should know what time it is. But it’s always an hour late on the basal rates.

Is there a setting in Loop that would fix this? Is this a known issue?

Here is an example, the images show what I mean. Screen shots were taken at 10:49am.

You can see that my rate at 9am is 0.75, and my rate at 10am changes to 0.65.

At 10:49am, I did a zero basal. That should be dropping down 0.65 (my 10am rate). But it is still using the 9am rate.

At 11am this would change to be my 10am rate. Everything is 1 hour late!

Any suggestion on a fix for this?

2 Likes

That deserves a bug report at Issues · LoopKit/Loop · GitHub

A copy of what you posted here would be good. Also include a Loop issue report, and state your version numbers (phone, iOS, Loop).

1 Like

@bkh, do you happen to know if there is a build setting like “automatically adjust for daylight savings time - yes/no” or something along those lines?

I wonder if it is just the daylight savings time that is throwing it off, because if it was currently standard time, the basal times would be correct (“spring forward, fall back, blah, blah, blah…”)

Sorry, I don’t know and haven’t looked. I mostly just download and build (with a few small changes to constants so that I can take larger boluses and enter anticipated meals that are more than 1 hour ahead.

1 Like

Hey, I figured it out!!

Suppose you travel across the country, or go from daylight savings time to standard time. When your phone time gets changed, you might think that it will automatically change time on your Loop settings, right? Well…wrong!

Like if you go from eastern to pacific timezone, guess what? Your Loop settings will stay in the previous timezone 3 hours later, unless you change them.

So my issue with the zero basal from my previous thread, and mentioned here, is that after we went from standard to daylight savings time, Loop stayed in the old time.

You have to MANUALLY change the timezone in Loop. :roll_eyes:

Here is how. Click on the pod icon on the upper part of the screen. I think they call this HUD or something.

When you get to this screen, scroll down and click “Change Time Zone”. Like in this image. That will update your Loop settings to match the time on your phone.

I want to adding the people I tagged on my other post, in case they ever run into this. If you travel and change timezone, you gotta manually change your timezone in Loop!

@TomH
@ClaudnDaye
@Trying
@bkh
@Marie
@jbowler

I don’t know if anyone else on FUD already knew about this, but now you do!

5 Likes

That’s a great tip. I think I might have known it once upon a time, but it’s long since left me.

But this still doesn’t appear to resolve your original issue in the other thread. If the problem was just that your basal schedule was off by 1 hour because of daylight savings time, then we would have seen your basal go to 0 an hour late. But the graph from Apple Health that you posted showed that the basal was 0.7u at 6am, 7am, 8am, 9am, 10am, 11am (with very minor variations.) So it’s not clear to me that the underlying issue is fully understood.

3 Likes

I knew about the manual setting of timezones in loop but for whatever reason, didn’t make the connection. Apologies! That would definitely explain it. Thanks for figuring it out and posting for future generations!

2 Likes

He only showed an image of 7 - 8 AM on his original posting as best I can tell?

1 Like

@Eric I agree with @bkh, definitely reportable and you do need to include version number of build, the graphics, and if possible the reports from Loop (Settings, Support, Loop Report and/or Bug report).

There is no setting for time adjustment in the Loop program proper build process or its own settings on your phone that I’m aware of (just looked, though might have missed something), nor is there in iPhone (Settings, Loop). The iPhone itself (Settings, General, Date & Time) you can set time zone and whether to adjust automatically. I haven’t noticed any DST effects, but haven’t been looking for them either.

If you travel and there’s a time zone shift, Loop sees it and asks you if you want it to set to the new time zone (I don’t know the reason, perhaps because some people take day trips and don’t want adjustments?) I’ve noted this on cruises and a trip to Arizona. Haven’t been lately and don’t think it’s changed. (Looks like you figured this out on your own…)

3 Likes

Not 100% sure, but I think that only happened in later versions. My version is the older FreeAPS.

Yep, you are right about that.

I guess I still don’t know what happened on that day.

So the bottom line for me - on race day, the zero basal will be 100% guaranteed when I peel that pod off my body…

1 Like

@Eric That might explain a lot; I have no experience with FreeAPS. Wasn’t it known as FAX? If so, isn’t that what’s now under development by a different team as iAPS?

1 Like

I meant this one from the original thread:

1 Like

When unlimited isn’t enough, we go unencumbered.

But I was hoping for a better way…

2 Likes

That’s the one I was referring too, @bkh. Unless I’m reading the chart incorrectly? See highlighted part below, in that image

I had assumed the basal of .7 kicked in later as he “reverted” back to his normal settings outside of the 7 - 8 am timeframe. But again, I could just have read it incorrectly!

1 Like

Not in AndroidAPS; it follows the 'phone. What happens, IRC, is that it demands a “profile” change, beeping akimbo, so the fix is to change to a copy of the profile then back (yes, really dumb). It then (automatically or maybe in response to the pointy stick) updates the Omnipod profile, even if the profile is flat.

As they say on the report cards, “Some effort required.”

I find it curious that while AndroidAPS supports (in the beta) a “full closed loop” where I don’t bolus or enter carbs it doesn’t do things that are very obvious. A pop-up with a message, “Hey dude, you just travelled a long way very fast, you are now at 5AM, welcome to jetlag. [OK]” would be fine.

1 Like

I am sorry, I don’t know much about the different branches and names! :joy: