Things You Have Done To Help You Be UNLIMITED

ditto that!! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Don’t ya just hate that!

2 Likes

this is a very hot topic. when i was first dx, i was given a sheet of paper that had a sliding scale on it. it showed me that when my BG was in “this” range, and i wanted to eat 30gms of carbs, 60gms, 90gms of carbs, i was to dose my R insulin accordingly. the scale went something like :70-100 BG, for 30gms of carbs, take 1 unit of insulin…you get the point.
(i was also taking NPH, and then later Lente was added to the mix)

i was told that i did NOT have to bolus for ANYTHING except carbs. there was no distinction between fast or slow carbs; just any kind of carbs. i began reading labels. i thought i was doing the “right” thing. but my BGs were all over the map.

it took me years of questions to my endo asking why on earth i was getting these crazy results. it wasnt until i joined FUD that i learned that perhaps i needed to bolus for protein as well as fat. needless to say, due to many other reasons, i fired that idiot endo (who hapened to be a pump-wearing T1D) and got myself a kind, progressive, patient, informative endo who i have been with ever since.

as the saying goes: YDMV :thinking:

obviouslly, the system has evolved and changed much since then.

sorry for the high jacking . just wanted to put it out there how different we all are.

1 Like

Like some, I have never felt limited by T1D. Limited by time, being only 5’0” tall, space, money, talent, attention span - oh, absolutely! Very limited indeed!
But having D has never really changed my ambitions, wishes or desires.
I train martial arts, I play bagpipes, I sew and weave and make bagpipe bags out of leather. I arrange music, I teach beginners, I help people rebattery old Dexcom transmitters and set up old pumps and looping apps. I am currently trying to work out how to make Highland Games athletic events safe for an indoor event (sand bags as shot put, heavy cabar made out of lead pipe and pool noodles etc etc).
I am a very ex gymnast. I really sucked at gymnastics, acrobatics and was only marginally less incompetent at trampoline sports, but I loved training and flipping and hanging out with other athletes.
I did well at school and uni, with zero accomodations. I do well in my profession. I work part time so I have time for all my other “stuff”.
I am not a parent, or even an Auntie, but I have an assortment of kids I like to spoil rotten. I think I do pretty well at that mostly.
I have had T1D since 1978. My mum taught me to swear in lieu of not eating lollies. I was an angelic looking 5yo with a serious potty mouth!
Honestly, I love my life, and have never felt the slightest bit limited. I think my life may have been different without getting D at age 5, but whether that would have been a good thing or a bad thing, who knows?

7 Likes

hooray for you!!! sounds like you are living a wonderful life. do know what could beat that :star_struck:

1 Like