The well-timed pod

It doesn’t always work like this. Many times I have 40+ units left in the pod. I don’t like to waste insulin!

But this one went right down to the wire! Only 4 units left!

And when filling the new one, I cleaned out the vial. Also, right down to the wire. I didn’t need to span 2 vials. :+1:

4 Likes

@Eric Like you, I try to not to waste my insulin and only put enough into the pump to be used within the 72 hour + 8 hour grace period. It works out pretty well.

2 Likes

My 3-day total varies greatly!

I usually have some extra in there, because I don’t want to run out with time left on the pod.

I guess I used more than usual the past few days.

1 Like

I used to extract but I have SO MANY pens and vials now, I stopped the practice for now. I am still putting in almost the minimum anyway right now.

1 Like

I also put the minimum in, but if the pod starts running low i will do manual boluses, yes by syringe, i am not that concerned with the impact on my daily insulin intake. But it also hardly ever happens, i tend to have insulin left in the pod.

2 Likes

@T1john I’d thought of doing what you state (injection if pod runs out) but I think the basal dosing would be a pain to try and duplicate. Fortunately, I’ve managed so far to put enough insulin in to target the 72 hour Omni Dash level, usually with enough for several or all of the 8 hour grace period. I have to say (without intent of diverting our topic) that the grace period is something I’ve really thought Dexcom failed on with the G6 (some recovery with G7)…and I figure (and be wrong) they learned that lesson from Insulet.

1 Like

Not that way, start earlier. Just replace main meal boluses with injections if the pod looks like it is getting low too soon. That saves lots of insulin with minimal inconvenience if eating at home.

I put in a bit more than I expect to use, and when the pod expires I extract the leftover into a syringe to use up by injecting the next meal bolus or two. (And maybe reduce the next pod fill to compensate.). Something about my upbringing leads me to avoid wasting a grain of rice or a drop of insulin. And I find that injecting large meal boluses helps preserve pod sites from tunneling and poor absorption.

4 Likes