The "secret"

Michel’s post made me think this:
Do you know the secret to being a successful diabetic in the long-term?

Finding the right mate.

Maybe even more important for the guys, 'cuz we’re generally more stubborn.
:wink:

Count me as one of the lucky ones.

Who else? Give a shout out to the person who keeps you well.

6 Likes

If not for my wife I would not be able to make this post because I would already be long dead. It reminds me of the poem: “Let me count the ways I Love you”. I can count those ways by counting how many times she has saved my life.

Not to mention how she has selflessly put up with me for all of these years. And continues to.

6 Likes

Aaaaw. You guys. I’m sitting in the car sniffling. This is so sweet.

I think having a helpful friend and/or rad parents can also sub in for the “partner/spouse” role (although I wouldn’t say we’ve got those in our T1D life, exactly, but I want to believe it’s true for other folks out there who might not be in a relationship presently). I know FUD has so many super parents represented - inspiring! Your kids don’t even know what they’ve got yet!

We really should have a meetup some day. Then I could hug everyone.

7 Likes

I can only speak as a parent :slight_smile: I know that optimizing my son’s BG would not be possible if there were not two of us committed to it. And - I feel that, by analogy, for a PWD to manage it must be SO MUCH better to have the right partner!

@TiaG was writing earlier about how hard it must be for you guys going through it on your own, never having an hour or a day off – it really tears me up a bit every time I think of it for you all (and for my son too, of course, once he has flown the nest).

So when I read about @docslotnick’s, @Eric’s @Millz’ or @CatLady’s partners – or when I see how hard @TravelingOn works on her partner’s D, it is truly heartwarming – and sad to think of those who don’t have that kind of a partner.

8 Likes

…and lazy.

2 Likes

If not for my hubby (who is a nurse), I’m not sure I would’ve made it with my first injection. :laughing: He did it for me the first couple of times til I could get over my issue of stabbing myself with a needle. And even though he regularly admits he doesn’t know the answers to my nearly constant wonderings and questions, he at least lets me talk his head off and bounce ideas off of him as I think through various aspects of management. Then of course the unfailing support through the good and the bad…

6 Likes

@Eric Thank you for this thread asking us to honor the “rocks” in our D lives!

I’m so grateful to have such a wonderful husband/ partner/ renaissance man in my life. We’ve learned so much together since my diagnosis. I realize it would have been much, much harder without Gregg’s support!

Thank you and Love you @millsey1 :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

My partner (now my husband) is the sole reason why I now take much better care of myself. Until I met him, I ate what I wanted, rarely tested, guessed at boluses, gorged to treat lows, had high A1cs, and didn’t care. Then I met the man I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with – and preferably a long and healthy life. So I went to diabetes boot camp and whipped myself into shape.

From day one he has been fully supportive and he takes an active interest in my treatment. When he cooks or bakes, he figures out the carb count, or if he buys prepared food, he makes sure it has a carb count. He reminds me to test or eat before or while I’m active. Pre-CGM, when I tossed and turned in the night he would wake me and ask if I was low, and if needed, he would drag me into the kitchen and force me to eat something, then sit with me until it was time to test again. Even though inserting a fresh Omnipod is the easiest thing in the world, he always asks if I need a hand, and he’s always there when I’m inserting a Dexcom on my arm, because then I do need a hand. If I’ve had to go to hospital (eye surgery; stomach bugs), he has never left my side. He says the hard work and commitment I made to improving my diabetes care is what motivated him to quit smoking (as if my nagging wasn’t enough!).

After 25 years, it must be tiring; it could be a burden. If it is, he never lets on. And for that and much, much more, I am thankful every single day.

11 Likes

like everyone else: my husband is my cheerleading man. i couldn’t have done this w/out him. yes, he can be a royal pain in the A sometimes, like when i go low. but he is getting used to my pleading about how much to correct and how many carbs i need when i go low. i have even brought him in to see my CDE for a talk (her husband is a T1D so she can empathize with him) about when to help and when to keep his mouth shut. and its been easier and easier for the both of us.

he is very patient and very caring and every time i think i have worn him out with my D chattering, he listens with big open ears :blush:

5 Likes

this is true love. i share your story with you every step of the way. (and btw, my husband quit smoking, too :blush: )

2 Likes

@Beacher, what a lovely write-up this was! This is so heart warming.

3 Likes