The "right" way to talk about diabetes?

Then we’re finding the same thing here. Either they’re that good, or everyone is really good at faking…everything. :grin:

Haha! I have though at times, what if these people are making all this up? Lol. Im just taking everyone at face value… and crossing my fingers :joy:

But diabetes does suck. So does being poor. So does having to wake up at 5 am to get to work. So does having to breathe.

So you make the best of it and try to make your life better. Don’t dwell on it.

5 Likes

It does…

I’m gonna have to think about this one…

Dang.

Sure diabetes sucks but life with diabetes is actually pretty awesome for us, and _can be for others_despite the hassles of the disease. It’s that idea that I hope gets across to people when they’re newly diagnosed.

7 Likes

I This is exactly what I’ve been wanting to say but couldn’t figure out how. Thanks for articulating it.

1 Like

When I get down in the dumps about diabetes, I just remember that my son is So lucky to have contracted this disease in the day and age when living with diabetes is possible and that even though there are hassles, he can live a full life. People like @Richard157 are an inspiration as well as a survivor.

6 Likes

Exactly. A New York Times documentary on my life with diabetes would be lucky to get three clicks. “Mid-fifties Canadian man leads totally normal life except periodically takes a few moments out to carb-count or inject or eat weird-tasting glucose tabs … thunk … sorry, nodded off there. And occasionally rants about being too high. But not as much as he rants about politics.”

8 Likes

LOL. Yep. The most exciting scenes in our “life with diabetes” documentary would be those of gratuitous preschool violence, plus a dramatic scene in which my cat pees in my shoes, The diabetes care would be a snoozefest by comparison.

7 Likes

Um yeah.

Day in my life:
Wake up at 3:30.
Blearily look at CGM data for the night. Roll out of bed. Wash face and other important parts.
Brush teeth. Attempt to do something with my curly mop. Give up. Throw it back in a clip, drive to work.

Check CGM. If I feel like breakfast, maybe dose some insulin. Do some work stuff. Filter something. Climb on top of a semi-trailer. Have a meeting. Maybe eat breakfast.

More work stuff. Check CGM. All good? GREAT.
Not all good? Treat. Carry on with work stuff.

Maybe consider insulin for lunch.
More work stuff. Maybe climb on or into a fermenter. Eat lunch.

More work stuff. Check CGM at some point.
Drive home. Consider dinner. Maybe take some insulin. Sit with hubby in our jammies and talk about the day. (See above)

Eat. Check CGM. In bed by 8.

Repeat.

Not…at all… interesting. Lol :rofl:

5 Likes

I can happily say that diabetes did suck. Then I started to understand what works for me and make the appropriate corrections.

For instance, I recently semi retired and am less active. I increased Tresiba by 4u and took care of the situation.

You just have to realize everything
matters, and be confident enough in your abilities to make necessary changes.

5 Likes

thats one of the reasons i went back to OCD finger sticks. (of course, as i have mentioned before, now that medicare is covering the dex 100%, i thought i might give it another try)

@daisymae, the Dexcom used to work great for me on arms…but now the only accurate readings I get are from my low back. I can’t figure that one out but wanted to pass it along. Legs/abs/arms won’t read accurately at all with this generation (G5). Not sure if it’s me or it.

1 Like

was just breezing through this to see what I missed… is this serious?? seasonal hormonal changes? Summer basals???

Every time I come around, I learn something new, but about once every 4 visits, I start feeling like maybe ignorance IS bliss.

For now, I’m just going to try to unread this…

1 Like

So… I’ve got a couple of questions… first, is it a given that ALL women will experience a change in insulin needs as a result of hormone fluctuations? So, let’s just say I’ve never noticed such a thing… could this be because I don’t experience it? Or have I just missed the boat?

And do all women experience it the same way?? Is it a given, assuming all are affected, that insulin needs drop during menstruation?

I would say definitely not. I’ve read (rarely) about some women who don’t notice any impact. Others notice a very small impact. Others notice quite a large impact. And considering it varies quite a bit even in the same individual from month to month, it’s certainly very variable among individuals.

I’d say if you’ve never noticed it and have a level of control that you’re comfortable with, then don’t worry about it. If you’re struggling to get the level of control you would like, then it’s probably definitely something to start tracking.

3 Likes

So you said this…
and I went away thinking about it…

and when I came back, I found you had said this…
"I can happily say that diabetes did suck. Then I started to understand what works for me and make the appropriate corrections.

For instance, I recently semi retired and am less active. I increased Tresiba by 4u and took care of the situation.

You just have to realize everything
matters, and be confident enough in your abilities to make necessary changes."

I agree with both sides… and am glad DID was where the emphasis lay. But as far as whether or not I personally need to be going around telling the noobs that they have a sucky disease, because I’ve been walking round thinking about this for a couple of days now, I think I just don’t need to. I’ve had a really crappy couple of days with really crappy numbers, I definitely am not fond of this disease, BUT if a child loses a nickel, do I go onto talk about the complexities of income and mortgage and whether or not they’re going to be able to afford insurance and how life sucks?

The answer is I could… but then my children would have no friends.

And that’s what it all boils down to. Lying so as not to make small children cry. They’ll figure it out. :smiley:

3 Likes

You’re a very reasonable lady. I like your style. :smiley:

Today things have settled down. Plummeted. They were ridiculous for almost a week… but it definitely was a little off from what I’ve been reading. So right now I have two theories… one is that I’m numb, and I’ve had hormone things going on all along, and I’ve just blamed auto mode… and wouldn’t that be funny. :smiley: and 2, and this is my REAL suspicion, is that I’ve jacked up the amount of carbs I’ve been eating, and maybe it’s just finally caught up to me. It’s been a slow increase, but recently it’s bordered on carbicide. For the last 3 days I’ve been slowing them down again, but today I really cut them completely. All my numbers hit the floor. Please, oh please let it just be carbs and not that I’m going to have to figure out different rates for different moon phases and times of month and different seasons of the year…

good looking out. :smile:

This would be my guess. It can be really problematic when you swing between eating lots of carbs and eating more low-carb.

This is something I’ve really been struggling with latey. My blood sugar is SO much better when I eat low-carb, but it’s become increasily more difficult to do, especially when I travel, due to food allergies. I have an upcoming trip to the US for more than a week and I’m freaking out about the food aspect. I’ve decided that I’m almost definitely going to increase the amount of carbohydrates I eat to close to 100 grams a day, even though I don’t really want to. I could make the very low-carb diet work if I put enough effort into it, but I keep wondering how much effort and stress is it worth?

I’m starting a job next week that’s the same job I was doing half a year ago that involved a lot of variable exercise and where my blood sugar was insanely hard to control (and that’s what originally motivated me to start eating a very low-carb diet). So we’ll see how I respond to that and whether I have too many lows and not enough time in range… Gah. I feel like diabetes will be SO much easier when I’m older, past menopause and retired and don’t have crazy schedules…

3 Likes