The last sensor I will ever have to buy? šŸ˜€

Have you heard that the G6 sensors can be restarted? Restarting G6 sensors and transmitter ā€“ See My CGM

1 Like

@bkh no I havenā€™t. Is it for real? I was talking with some people who have the G6 and they said itā€™s 10 days hard shutoff.

Iā€™ll check out this link too. Thanks.

Well, according to the manufacturer, it is. The FDA required it. But the community of users has already figured several unofficial work-arounds as I hoped they would. Or at least thatā€™s the claim. I donā€™t have a G6 yet, so Iā€™m just passing along what I read at that link.

1 Like

Same. Iā€™ll stick with the G5 for the same reason. I use the RockaDex adhesive patches, and also GrifGrips. I have to change the extra patch every 7-8 days because Iā€™m outside a lot and sweat a LOT.

1 Like

I started using the G6 sensor which is my first CGM. There is a tremendous learning curve about how to best use and maximize the new sensor. First, I have found that GrifGrips used with SkinTac are the most durable adhesive patches to secure your CGM but may cause some redness either from moisture or the adhesive itself. If it starts to peel off I just replace it using the same process when the sensor is first inserted. WARNINGā€¦the punchouts are not sized for the G6 and you will need to modify slightly with a scissor. Grifgrips indicated that they will not change the punchout. Another option to secure the G6 is Tegaderm HP 4in x 4 1/2 in model # 9546HP which can be purchased from Amazon that is less harsh on the skin and does not cause any redness. It is waterproof and durable but much more expensive than the Grifgrips. I have had the Tegaderm in place for 5 days now and no problem.

In regards to restarting the G6 sensor, Katie DiSimone has wonderful instructions and YouTube videos. This is a wonderful link: http://seemycgm.com/2018/06/11/restarting-g6-sensors-and-transmitter/

I have had my G6 sensor in place for 23 days now and still functioning accurately!

2 Likes

Iā€™m approaching day 7 and absolutely love it! I already had Xdrip+ installed with my G5, so going to G6 was super easy. Iā€™ve never had dropped signals on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ and it seems to back fill nicely when I shower or am otherwise out of range. I myself shaved my hary stomach, cleaned it with alcohol wipe, then skin tac wipe then put it on and so far, it hasnā€™t even started to peel. From what Iā€™ve read, there is a setting in Xdrip+ to pre-emptively stop and restart the sensor for you! Canā€™t wait to see that in action. I also use a Sony SW3 watch and that works beautifully. I also like that the G6 is more flush with my body so less prone to bumping or pulling. And of course the no calibrations is totally awesome! Every time I spot check, it is well within 20% and often times within 5-10 numbers off. I absolutely LOVE the G6!

3 Likes

I was reminded of this post when calling for a replacement for my Libre sensor (fell off @4 days). Abbott has been great about replacing my wacky/too loose sensors, and I guess I should call more often since I havenā€™t had a ā€œgoodā€ sensor in 3 months or more - missing out on all these free sensorsā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

Settings -> G5/G6 Advanced Debug

There are a selection of G6 options there to enable G6 support and pre-emptively restart the sensor.

I do not have a G6 yet, so @bpollina you are the guinea pig on this oneā€¦ :guinea_pig:

1 Like

@bpollina Yes, xDrip+ will preemptively stop and restart the sensor at 6 days, so you better set it to do so quickly. After the Dexcom reaches 10 days it canā€™t be restarted so easily.

Tuesday is day 10 and I thought I turned that on before day 6. how do I tell if it has been restarted?