The IOB Predicament... What do you do with a climbing blood sugar prior to starting exercise?

I know I’m harassing you, but you kind of keep putting out good information. I have a friend in my group who has a terrible time with this. If I were to drag him over here, would you guys have any info for him?? He says it’s been a problem for years, and he doesn’t drink coffee…

You aren’t harassing me.

Invite whoever you want. There are a few ways to help deal with the morning spike.

I hope you will consider FUD your group too! And all of us also your friends.
:wink:

2 Likes

Right?! And if there is a separate “my group,” why haven’t we been invited? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

You know what sound I made when I read that? The kind when someone sees something really sweet like a little kitten doing something really sweet like cuddling with something… you ever see that? That was nice, Eric. You guys are my group, too. And I don’t make a habit of calling just anyone a “friend”, but I see what’s going on around here, and either these are friendships in the making, or you guys are all laughing behind my back, but since I’ll probably never know… :smiley: You don’t know this about me, but I’m a FUD-pusher. And I wouldn’t be that if I didn’t love it here.

I have a stupid grin right now. For going on 4 minutes. :smiley:

Okay, I’ll have my people call your people and we’ll see what we can do.

3 Likes

Consider yourself …selves… invited. And disregard all of that about the 670… half of the people in there have returned theirs anyway. :smiley: I actually think I’ve mentioned this 16 times but have received nothing but silence, so i kinda took it as you guys not really wanting to run with my kind. :smiley:

Anyway. I’ve got good people back there. I’m trying to lead them with candy… maybe not the best strategy. :smiley:

1 Like

I won’t be joining you, since I don’t do the Facebook thing, but I can assure you no one is laughing behind your back. Thanks for the invite!

1 Like

Same here. Facebook offers some useful services, but to me that’s just the bait to gather people like ore for mining. I don’t want to support that process.

2 Likes

Didn’t use Facebook for 8 years and didn’t miss it for a second. I accepted an invitation to join another 670G “support” group that was so awful and mean and weird that I decided I’d start one on my own and let people speak their minds. It’s at almost 500 people now, and I’m on it all the time. I MISS not using Facebook and envy you both. But I do have great people in there, so there’s that.

1 Like

So about last night. I did ZB for 60 minutes then hit suspend as I went out the door. I remained in a suspend until I returned, a total of 1 hr and 10 min. Walked 5 minutes in the beginning then ran for most of 40. High intensity. The last 30 minutes were at a brisk walk (but still moving out). I ended the suspend and had 20 grams of carbs (5 tablets) and did 50% of my missed basal. Within about 20 minutes, I saw a sharp rise almost to 200. I did another .5 units and jumped on my trampoline for 5 minutes and saw an immediate turn around. Oh, and I left at a 125 and returned at 92.

Everything was good except that climb… I assumed it was the glucose tabs which worked well the day before. But I don’t know…

1 Like

That sounds great.

The thing that endo’s and CDE’s fail to tell people is the dosing after exercise. They think that you have been exercising for an hour, the last thing you want to do is take insulin.

When you are on zero basal, the exercise is helping you metabolize the carbs and amplifying the insulin.

I am interpretting your comment above that as soon as you stopped, you spike. Is that right?

As soon as you stop, the fact your muscles are no longer working and you have not been taking insulin for 90 minutes makes a spike very likely.

Let’s fix that.

The idea of replacing 50% of your missed basal was a very safe conservative number.

I think the best thing to do is be super-aggressive when you finish - with both carbs and insulin.

Take enough insulin for 40 grams and then wait maybe 15 minutes or so and take the carbs to replenish your muscle glycogen.

Are you able to stop a BG plummet with something like chocolate milk or some other fast carb?

For example, if you are 200, and you take x units, and then 15 minutes later you are plummeting, do you feel safe with a fast sugar to stop the plummet? Or is that a problem?

The reason you want to hit the carbs is to replace muscle glycogen for the next day. The sooner you take those carbs, the faster your muscles are ready for more running.

How safe would that be for you? If not, we can come up with a more conservative approach.

1 Like

Within 20 minutes. After 5 glucose tablets (20g carbs).

So return home, end suspend, do 50% of missed basal, bolus for 40g of carbs, and then wait 15 minutes before consuming. Yes? If I’m jut not hungry, can I do the carbs with glucose tablets?

Yes, I can control a plummet.

And it’s supposed to be very hot tonight. Does that change anything?

That sounds good. But it kind of depends if you are rising or falling when you finish. If rising do a little more bolus, and if falling do a little less. Just find numbers that work. Try it, test, adjust for next time.

Sure, gtabs are fast carbs. But it’s also good to get protein to help your muscles repair.

Have you read this one yet?
what-should-i-consume-after-exercise

You should hydrate more. And when it is very hot your body has to work harder. So pay more attention to the effort you make rather than the pace.

There is more to your exertion than just how fast you are moving.

That’s why heart rate monitoring is useful.

1 Like

I also don’t use Facebook, and that’s probably why I totally missed your prior posts about the specifics of your group.

Thanks for the invite though :smiley:

1 Like

This is getting a little suspicious… :smiley:

1 Like

so LAST night… the run itself was great, but I ended up crashing all night. I did the 60 minute ZB, but I needed to do 3 glucose tablets about 20 minutes before heading out the door. That didn’t happen the other two days. I had my iced coffee about 10 minutes before, and then left. Walked 5 minutes. Ran 40 minutes straight-- high intensity. It was very hot outside, and I was working hard. Walked 5 minutes and then alternated running and walking for the final 12 minutes. So, in total, I ran the better part of an hour and 10 minutes. But don’t try to confirm that with any numbers here. Just trust me.

I needed one glucose tablet with about 10 minutes left and another about 5 minutes from home. Came in, resumed basal, bloused for 50% of my missed basal and immediately had a banana + insulin for 20g of carbs. I left the house at a 116 and returned at 52. But the biggest difference was I just crashed ALL NIGHT LONG.

So I didn’t do the 40g of carbs this time since I was on the low end, and I did eat it as soon as I got home. Even most of today has been very low… getting suspends left and right that are NOT causing spikes.

I’m heading back out tonight. Things really are going well, and the runs themselves are great. And I have no problems messing around with all of these things, but I’m still trying to learn how… So that’s it. Thoughts??

What was going on here? After 60 minutes of no basal you were dropping. Any guesses there?

I don’t understand this :arrow_up:

Being on the low side when you finish and eating right away is the ideal way to replenish.

That sounds great. You are starting to get that non-diabetic vibe going.

As you start running more and harder, you will notice a big reduction in your insulin requirements.

A big reason to feed the body as soon as you are done.

A bunch of fast carbs right when you finish will help that tremendously.

The thoughts you are used to - “I can’t drink a glass of chocolate milk, I will be 500+ for the next 24 hours…”

Will eventually - over enough time of consistent running - be replaced by thoughts like, “I better chug this chocolate milk, or I will be plummeting all night.”

It does look that way, doesn’t it? haha

Sometimes I second-guess my Facebook aversion (like when I see your group!), but I tend to find other ways of interacting with people to be more enjoyable and meaningful.

I suppose this forum is a be a bit similar to facebook though…

1 Like

I’m giving you guys a hard time. I dropped Facebook eight years ago and was never happier. But things had to be done… so I did them, and now I’ve got a group over there. It is a great group, and although I’ve sold my soul in buckling on my facebook boycott, I couldn’t ask for a nicer group of people to have done it for. :grin:. AND now I have you guys here. And to think I used to talk to another diabetic once every couple of years…

2 Likes

None. The day before my skin was hurting by that point… this time I was hanging at an 80 with symptoms of dropping.

In the last exchange, because of the spike, you recommended bolusing for 40g of carbs then waiting 15 minutes to consume. Because I came back low I decided against 40 and did the 20 I did from the day before while bolusing at the same time. Does that make sense?

So soon?

I actually did… with a banana. Still not sure if I’m making myself clear?

I don’t doubt for a second all of my instincts are wrong. It’s why I’m here just listening rather than following my own reasoning. :smiley:

Because you didn’t want to wait 15 minutes? Instead of waiting and doing 40g, you did the 20g right away?

Am I understanding it correctly?

Or do you mean you had 40g, but only bolused for 20g?

All of these things always need to have flexibility built into them, based on your circumstances.

I said to wait 15 minutes because of the spike last time. But if you are low, or dropping, you don’t need to always wait 15 minutes.

And the bolus amount can be adjusted along the same lines also.

The critical thing is - when you are done, take insulin and carbs. Experience will help you with amounts.

1 Like