The IOB Predicament... What do you do with a climbing blood sugar prior to starting exercise?

One other thing…

I have two ways of tracking insulin resistance/sensitivity.

(1) I eat the same breakfast everyday. How the bolus performs day after day gives a good indication of when insulin resistance starts to ramp up and by how much.
(2) My overnight bg patterning. When it starts to consistently drift up and level somewhere overnight, it’s time to start cranking up temporary basals to deal with the hormone-induced resistance. When it starts drifting up to 160 and staying there overnight, that’s when I start adding it in 5-10% at a time. If it drifts up and levels at 190 like it did last night, I know I’m getting into the most resistant 4 days of the cycle with more rises to come.

I track my percentages of extra basal needed by day of cycle and compare notes to previous months for patterns. I’m lucky that it’s so consistent for me.

Anyway, if this is a factor for you like it is for me, it will help make the rest of your corrections for exercise/highs/etc start from a more level playing field.

Again, no pressure. Just my two cents.__

1 Like