Pausing Insulin on OP5 - First experiment and this is awesome! Thanks!

Hi, all. This morning I tried things suggested here to get better exercise results. I ate a Kind Mini (8 carbs) alas - and found out a final time that I need a whole one - 30 min. prior to heading out the door. But - the biggest deal is I turned on Pause Insulin, not as early as hoped - just missed turning it on with .05 on board, but said .1 by the time I set it. This is going to be perfect when I tweak the variables a bit more! I did have to eat 8 g of glucose tabs at about the mile mark, but did not have to stop or slow down as much as before. I felt safe and not fearful for the first time since being on op5 since Nov. Yay! So in just 2 days y’all have taught me more than hours upon hours of seeking!. And, I think I have learned something else:
I had previously set insulin duration to 2.5 hours b/c on shots it was truly seeming like 3 hours max, but I was trying to make the automated feature start to give me basal soon er after a meal. BUT. . . By the time I headed out the door, my IOB was “0” - not a real thing, but just what the machine thinks due to my settings is what I surmise. So, since I did drop from 150s to 120s fairly quickly, I think I now know that I had IOB. So, for the next experiment, I have changed Insulin Duration setting to 4 hours and maybe through exercise can get a closer approximation to reality. We shall see! Bit, look, today I got to go really fast once BG leveled from having the glucose tabs! And I am usually having to go slo mo to get home and then experience big rise. So, for another thanks to y’all:
I actually DID change my I/C ratios for all meals, despite my thinking I knew better. I lowered them each by one and sure enough - I did not go low after supper (did rise like 3 hours later, but high fat and protein meal, and today’s breakfast seems to have peaked and is working its way down! I never would have thought of changing these ratios since they were already very aggressive compared to MDI. And now I am feeling excited about manual mode and will test a full day on it when I get exercise fully ironed out. I want to be able to rely on it and every time I try it for a while (like last night literally right before I was going to go to sleep and decided to see if it would do better than automated) it works faster and better, I believe, than automated. And I believe since it is giving me more basal in those times in Manual that perhaps the next pods will keep learning. But even if they don’t, maybe my own 6 segments for the day will serve me better in Manual. I feel I am making progress in a big way where I was beginning to feel bogged down and deflated. Thanks for the great real-life experiences. I feel like I may become the master of the machine, and not the other way around! And then I will be able to trust it and ease up on my work. Meantime, I am rolling up my sleeves and looking forward to more freedom when I hit some sweet spots! Thank-you!

9 Likes

Sounds excellent, there’s no better feeling than heading confidently in the right direction. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

I love to hear success stories. Congrats on dialing it in and making the machine work for you.

3 Likes

Thanks, Chris! Alas - today brings new challenges and musings. Par for the course I guess, but I am in dogged pursuit of finding some keys here and am surely in the right place to get great help! Thanks again!

3 Likes