The great milkshake and banana split challenge!

Step 4 in the great banana split experiment: we prepared caramel fudge

Unfortunately, we don’t have unsweetened evaporated milk at hand. So, instead, we are using 3 ounces of fat-free half-and-half (again, the only thing we have) with 4 ounces of Walden sugar-free caramel syrup:

This Walden caramel syrup is really flavorful and my son loves it! Here is the caramel fudge:

Of the three fudges, this is the one that my son likes best! It is only 3 carbs per portion (we have enough for three banana splits in there).

3 Likes

The only problem with this thread is that now I am craving ice cream. :poop::smirk_cat:

1 Like

Coffee syrup reducing on the stove!

2 Likes

Step 5 of the great banana split challenge: dosing.

Now that we have all the ingredients, we are ready to dose:

• 1 medium banana: 27 carbs
  • 60 grams of Ben & Jerry’s NY Superfudge Chunk: 16 carbs
  • 60 grams of Haagen Dazs Vanilla Beans: 14 carbs
  • 60 grams of Haagen Dazs Strawberry: 13 carbs
  • strawberry fudge: 5 carbs
  • hot fudge: 11 carbs
  • caramel fudge: 3 carbs
  • Cool Whip whipped topping: 2 carbs
  • Nuts topping: 3 carbs
  • 2 strawberries: 1 carb

Total: 95 carbs

The way we are dosing this experiment: we pre-bolus a normal dose, and wait until my son has fully turned the corner, and is around 90-95 in range going down fast. The clock is now running!

2 Likes

Waiting for the next picture and the results.

I useds a superbolus this morning for a glass of liqueur and a cookie and it worked splendidly.

I am wondering if the prebolus will be enough for the banana split. I think the fat will slow things down enough, but if not on round 2 (if/when you have a pump) a superbolus may be something to try.

1 Like

Here is the resulting banana split:

It is pretty huge! It represents about 700 calories, but “only” 95 carbs, so an interesting challenge, with a lot of fat in the ice cream. Also, we got the best ice-cream we could find, no low-carb substitute there :slight_smile:

We rode the low as long as we dared, actually, before eating. So we’ll see how it shapes up.

I think you are right. Round 2 may need the superbolus in place, along with slower eating of the banana split – it seems to have been gone in a New York minute!

In terms of taste: the hot fudge and the strawberry fudge were awesome in situ! The caramel fudge, while nicely syrupy, carried a little aftertaste of bitterness, so we may need to revisit it.

5 Likes

Looking at that photo I’m tempted to empty my insulin pen outside of 31 Flavors. Yum!

4 Likes

omg…that looks like heaven! Enjoy @Kaelan! Keep us updated on those results!

1 Like

Round 1 is not giving us a good BG curve so far: he has been going up steadily since he ate, now past 170 :frowning: So it appears that despite a really early pre-bolus that he rode into a mild low before eating, this banana split requires more insulin than regular dosing.

2 Likes

Yep, this is how we learn! So more bolus/basal insulin up front…I’m sure @Kaelan will be ready for round 2 testing next weekend. :laughing:

2 Likes

As @Pianoplayer7008 indicated, I’ve also read that bananas wreak havoc on diabetics?? Not sure where I read that from, but it may be worth researching.

2 Likes

I had swim practice 12-1pm. Drove thru Wendy’s on the way home. 10oz chocolate frosty (+ a chicken caesar salad). I should have waited for the 4.5u humalog to kick in before I ate it, but swim practice makes me feel like I’m starving. I ignored the low after since i still felt like it was digesting…

6 Likes

@CarolynA, welcome to the forum and WHAT A KILLER CURVE! As @docslotnick says, never waste a good low :slight_smile:
I see you are a runner and a swimmer, that’s great: we have many runners and swimmers here! You have an amazing A1c! My son (he is only 12) is a swimmer, and has aggressive A1c goals too!

If you wish, you might want to visit the introduce yourself thread. Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome, @CarolynA! Make sure to drop by the Introduction thread and introduce yourself!

Very nice to have you here and I second @Michel’s congratulations on the killer curves!

2 Likes

I think it is a bit safer to do it in two phases: A pre-bolus, and then another bolus right when you start.

As an example, if you need a total of 10 units, doing it all up front and waiting for the low might work, but you wouldn’t really enjoy the milkshake because you wouldn’t be “aware”. :dizzy_face:
But if you did it 5 units upfront, and then another 5 when you started eating, that makes the low less severe.

Make a note of what it takes to bring him back down from that 170 spike. That amount, plus your pre-bolus amount, is what you bring to the next gunfight.

Then it’s just a matter of figuring out how to split it up before and during.

EDIT:
As you already know, the total amount for recovering from a high would be more than what is needed to prevent that high, so you would actually use less total. You already know that, but I wanted to put that here for anyone reading.

2 Likes

Well, this was an ugly curve: it went over two hundred and has been hovering there for a couple of hours despite multiple injections. This makes me wonder if a hormone spike came in as he was recovering from his meal: glucose spikes typically respond very well to insulin, but hormone spikes don’t.

So I am not sure if this curve will be relevant to the analysis of the banana split :frowning: We may have to duplicate round 1 with round 2 (next week!) and see if we get the same results. Either way, it was really delicious :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Michel There’s a possibility that he reached his carb threshold, and was in the territory where his C/I is just not linear.

I noted this in myself when I cut my daily carbs down by about 40%, and stopped eating 60-80 carbs at one sitting.

You remember how astonished you were that I had been taking north of 100 bolus units/day? Cutting carbs by 40% has reduced that to an average of less than 30 bolus units/day. And I’ve also decreased basal by almost half.

3 Likes

I did consider that as another possibility. I am not sure which it is. Another possibility is that these ice creams systematically understate carbs in their nutrition info.

Dropping your basal by half is truly extraordinary!

1 Like

Over-carbifying was in big part a result of taking too much basal insulin, so much so that I had to titrate it way down to a reasonable level. Just shows how out of whack I let it get.

1 Like

Not only you, these kids of creeping errors happen to all of us – hard to pick up!

2 Likes