The governor who has made (almost) all the right moves

Don’t know about most, but mine requires 50 hours + defensive driving course OR 100 hours of driving logs.

1 Like

really.? It wasn’t so complicated back in the Stone Age when I got my license there… just had to pass the written and driving test

I remember going to visit relatives in SD and being amazed they could start driving solo at 14 and drive during all daylight hours with nobody else in the car at that point…

2 Likes

Here are the rules for the teen drivers in WA. The first drivers license is sort of an apprentice license to start.
Licensed teen drivers 15-17 are issued an intermediate license as part of Washington’s Graduated Drivers License program. Under an intermediate license, you must follow these rules:

For the first 6 months, you are not allowed any passengers under 20 years old except immediate family members. For the next 6 months, your passengers are restricted to no more than 3 people under 20 years old who aren’t members of your immediate family.

For the first 12 months, you are not allowed to drive between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m., unless you are accompanied by a driver 25 or older. The only exceptions are for agricultural purposes and assisting with the transport of farm products and supplies under the supervision of a farmer.

Absolutely no cell phone use is allowed, even with a hands-free device. This includes talking, sending texts, reading texts, and taking pictures. The only exception is in the case of an emergency.

These restrictions are lifted once you turn 18, at which point your intermediate license automatically rolls over into a full, unrestricted Washington drivers license.

1 Like