Tandem t:slim X2 Insulin Pump

I’m going to ask my pump trainer about whether I should bolus based on 1 unit per 10g carb (my rough dosage) regardless of being unable to enter carbs. Otherwise I am always going to be chasing a high. I’m actually not sure why it’s taken me this long to realize this issue. I’ve only worn it for not even a full week though, as I switched back to the pod briefly while on vacation.

If she says no, which I suspect she will, I can always try after training is complete.

2 Likes

Per my previous post issues, i tend to just bolus amount i want, and don’t waste time entering info that isn’t really helpful. But then end up explaining things if endo asks, which isn’t often.

3 Likes

We are definitely not advocating you go against your trainer’s or your doctors medical advice, but we have found it useful since we live with this every day to try and optimize our treatment for every situation. Standard calculations can’t really work in every case. Like when you are high (Insulin resistant) and still want to eat and through experience and a CGM know what happens most of the time and you have access to sugar, be a little more aggressive etc. Of course, you should get comfortable with your tech before you get aggressive, but don’t let the tech control you, you control the tech. My son doesn’t use the carb calculator at all, he just enters in how many units directly into the screen and adjusts for the many dynamic scenarios he is presented with. It won’t be too long and you will be a pump jedi.

5 Likes

It’s a bit of a rollercoaster getting started but sounds like you are on top of things. When I switched to ControlIQ, I used it for a week before I realized the standard mode wasn’t working well for my needs. I switched to using sleep mode 24/7 and it really helped even my numbers out. I also usually don’t use exercise mode when I’m exercising because it gives you boluses over 150, which I don’t want when I’m working out.

I tell you this so you know you can change things up on your pump. If you search on here you can find other threads about how people have changed their settings to suit them better!

4 Likes

I didn’t think you were. Also, I’m totally for experimentation (in a safe manner). So is my Endo, usually. I just think I will follow the standard practice until I’m more comfortable with the system, and not being monitored, then I’ll do what I want! ha ha

3 Likes

I tried out the exercise mode last night. It seemed to work I suppose. I started around 8 but left the gym at about 5.2, which is lower than I’d like, but probably higher than I’d have been without using the exercise mode? IDK. Unplugged for about 20 mins as I showered and plugged back in, was still about 5 point something. Went shopping, came home, still in the 5s (and still on exercise mode). I turned off exercise mode, bloused for my 37g carb dinner (it seemed to give me the whole bolus this time, maybe because it was more carbs). Had a low alarm in the night, but it was 4.7 so not actually low, I gotta adjust those alarms they are constantly waking me up. I can see my pump often goes an hour and a half spread out throughout the night of completely turning my basal off, so I think my basal isn’t right. Looking forward to my pump trainer’s advice on adjustments, and getting things (hopefully) even better, but overall even with the hiccups, my control has never been this good–not even in the honeymoon phase!

2 Likes

That is Awesome! Glad it is improving things. Once you get it dialed in, you will be amazed. That is what tech should do for us humans.

That’s great! I’ve never had as good control or as peaceful nights as I’ve had with this pump, either. I tried taking a break (just to be disconnected for a bit) and it only lasted 40 hours before I got hooked back up! I love ControlIQ.

3 Likes

I feel a bit awkward asking this, but what are these measures? This is not blood glucose level. I’m obviously missing something. Please help!

e

1 Like

Probably mmol/L, vs mg/dL used in US.
US 126 mg/dL = 7 mmol/L

blood-sugar-converter

3 Likes

It’s blood sugars, Canadian eh. I think the calculation is something like divide yours by 18 and you get mine?

1 Like

Yup, this:)

1 Like

I have RMT tomorrow. I am a little worried about my new pump. I guess I’ll avoid my lower back area because that’s where my dexcom and pump are now. I don’t want it to get oily!

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation of blood sugar measures. Very useful. Are you based in Canada?

And apologies again, I don’t know what RMT is. Something muscle therapy?

2 Likes

Canadian, yup. Registered Massage Therapy.

1 Like

I think you’re on the right track. It’s your body, and ultimately you are responsible for taking care of it. You are always at liberty to dose insulin as you see fit, the key is to gain experience while staying safe by making sure you have fast carbs close at hand and by paying good attention to your BG when trying something new. An insulin overdose is no big deal if you see the BG starting to fall and you counter-act with fast carbs. This is a skill you can practice. Take 1u insulin, watch what happens. Take 2 or 3 glucose tabs, watch what happens. You can run your own experiments to learn the cause-and-effect behavior of your individual body when cautiously overdosed with insulin and cautiously treated with fast carbs, because knowing how to steer your BG in a good direction is fundamentally what it’s all about.

5 Likes