Pump Warranty

I just received an email from Omnipod asking me:

“Your insulin pump warranty will expire on November 20, 2024. Do we have your consent to fax the medical form to your doctor that follows your diabetes treatment.”

If I consent, does that mean I’m obligated to go with Omnipod? I want to go with Tandem, the pump I’m currently using.

2 Likes

Then decline or just ignore the request from the Omnipod folks. If you give them permission, they’ll be sending forms for your doctor to fill out stating medical necessity and giving a new Omnipod prescription for pods and PDM, which is an unnecessary bother for the doctor—and you don’t want that prescription accidentally filled.

4 Likes

Will do. Thanks for the guidance!

2 Likes

@jo_jo You indicate your using a Tandem; so, how would Omnipod know if your warranty is expiring? You or Tandem would have to have told Insulet (Omnipod) and that doesn’t make much sense. I’d recommend doing some checking to ensure it isn’t some sort of scam to get information from you; like check the sender information to verify it’s from Insulet (check the email header info for who the actual sender is). If you’re not interested, as @bkh says, just ignore/delete it.

To answer your question though: No, providing consent for someone to fax something does not obligate you in any way, but it may confuse the dickens out of your Endo/doctor’s office. If someone is asking you to sign anything, refuse until you’ve read thru it completely and verified you aren’t signing up for a service you don’t need or want.

3 Likes

I am under warranty for two pumps (Omnipod Dash and Tandem). I paid out of pocket to try Tandem half way through my Omnipod experience. I don’t think it was a scam, but they did send originally send the email to me asking me to provide consent for someone else entirely, then fixed it to be addressed to me when I asked who they are talking about and why I’m being asked to provide consent on their behalf, which I have to say doesn’t ignite much trust on my end. But then again, it’s not like I never make mistakes!

4 Likes

Under warranty for 2 pumps from different manufacturers explains the contact. As others have stated, ignore those that don’t interest you and pursue those that do.

3 Likes