Tandem Exercise Mode?

Exercise mode doesn’t work for me, I only use scheduled bedtime sleep mode and regular. Twice since using this pump it has gone into exercise mode. I don’t know how long it was before I noticed it this time, but it caused me to do a lot of corrections over the last couple of days.

I had forgotten how to change it because I never do that. Anyone have modes change on their own, or was it somehow inadvertent user error?

2 Likes

I don’t use a Tandem, but just curious, what is your normal preferred method?

I simply turn off my basal completely a little bit before I start, and keep it off the whole time.

I just let C-IQ reduce the basal rate as necessary.
Exercise mode decreases basal if BG is dropping below 140, shut off at 80, normal below 112.5, shut of at 70.

Exercise mode probably works well for some, especially type 1s but not me.

1 Like

Yeah I think exercise mode is a very poor design. Specifically the automated bolus correction. If while exercising you are running low and take fast acting carbs your bs will rise quickly and then naturally come back down to a normal level.

Control IQ sees the fast rise and will calculate a correction. The absolute last thing I want is an automated correction when exercising. Control IQ doesn’t have enough inputs to know exactly what is happening.

4 Likes

Sorry, I am not familiar with all of the Tandem stuff. What is the number that CIQ targets? Isn’t it something like 115 or in that general area?

What happens when you use exercise mode? Do you go too high or too low?

I’m still a bit woozy from anesthesia, 112.5 CIQ holds basal rate as set in the pump. Shut basal down completely at 70. I’m not sure but perhaps above 112.5 basal is increased above the setting. At some point an autocorrection will happen.

I don’t have my manual with me.

It just keeps me higher than I am comfortable with. I stay at my normal rate and if I go low on a long ride I feed it. On occasion I will run high and do a micro-correction.

1 Like

I do the same. My Endo doesn’t like that I do this, but I do have a Tandem, and exercise mode doesn’t do anything for me (I’ll go low if I use it).

2 Likes

You take the low road and I take the high road. Just goes to show extremely automated pumps won’t work for everyone. I’m pleased with C-IQ. If Tandem goes more aggressively automated I will go back to MDI.

1 Like

One of the things that I have suggested to BOTH pump companies is that they make their exercise mode change not only the person’s BG target, but also the person’s correction factor and their insulin:carb ratio.

Suppose during your normal (non-exercise) time, your correction factor was set so that that 1 unit drops your BG 75 points. And 1 unit accounts for 20 grams of carbs.

There could be a setting in the pump’s exercise mode that allows the person to change these things. Maybe during exercise, 1 unit drops your BG 400 points! And 1 unit accounts for 150 grams of carbs!

Makes sense, right?

But both companies ignored my suggestion.

3 Likes

I think in theory you can do that with Tandem. They call it a “personal profiles” which you can have multiple of.

So using your example I created an ‘exercise’ profile. You would need to change your profile for exercise. Not hard just need to remember to change it.

5 Likes

That’s super cool, @jim26. Thanks!

So an exercise profile can be setup in the same way a sick day profile would be setup, except on the opposite extreme.

It seems that Tandem has something there that Omni does not. As far as I know, Omni only allows you to change the basal rates, not all the other stuff. Unless they have changed that recently.

3 Likes