T1D 3rd place in half-marathon

A T1D got 3rd place Overall in a half-marathon this weekend, and 1st place in Masters.

Not a big race, so it isn’t anything too exciting, but just wanted to share it so everyone can know that PWDs are getting it done.

13 Likes

Time? Pics?!

1 Like

That is SO AWESOME! And if someone deserves it, it’s you!

Can you share your prep, race and post race?

At some point I can put some things together.

But the reason I wanted to share this today is a very simple thought. Diabetes is not the limiting factor for most things. If you work hard at it, diabetes can be overcome. It is a very small thing.

Anybody’s race speed comes down to a) how hard they work at it, and b) their natural athletic ability. And anyone can overcome a lot of shortcomings on “b” with a little extra “a”.

But as far as the disease, it really doesn’t matter a whole lot. If you work hard at it (the “a”), then the disease won’t matter. Ultimately, it is not the disease that limits you. It’s “a” and “b”, nothing else.

3 Likes

@Eric, this is really awesome! In a way it’s funny that running has the potential to kill us PWDs, but you actually won against normals!

1 Like

Not running (or not exercising) is probably more dangerous to anyone in the world than exercising is to us PWDs…

1 Like

Go you! Third place is amazing!

And, your above thoughts are right on. I often think this about T1D - it’s just a thing EH has. And I think you can apply the above thoughts to much more than only racing.

But good work on the race. :wink:

3 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly what I am saying.

Whatever your passion, the disease is small compared to your heart and mind.

This post is not about a single little race for some T1D, it’s about not letting D stop you from pursuing what you want.

I don’t think D is the limiting factor for anyone. Fear and self-imposed restrictions will always be more of a limiting factor for anyone.

D can be a small box we sit inside of. But we can push the walls out and make it bigger and bigger, until we break the walls and live free.

3 Likes

Were you wearing your FUDiabetes shirt?!?!? Gratz buddy!

3 Likes

We actually do need some shirts!

Thanks.

4 Likes

I was thinking a good image for the shirt could be a guy on top of Mt. Everest, wearing a CGM on his arm, flipping everyone off?

No???

:smiley:

4 Likes

This is fantastic! Congratulations!!!

2 Likes