Strictly About Pizza

its 8:20pm here in brooklyn. just tested and my finger stick BG was 89. OMG! its been 6.5 hours since i bolused for my pizza. hoping it will stay steady. drinking a lot of water in hopes that it will fend off any late night spike or rise. would love to go to sleep and sleep through the night without having to take a correction.

2 Likes

What an awesome Pizza dosing success. You could not do any better than that! Thatā€™s a glucose normal track :slight_smile:

1 Like

what does that mean?

(PS: last BG test i was 89 )

It means that it is what the BG of a ā€œglucose normalā€ (i.e. a person who does not have diabetes) would have, in time, after eating pizza: as if you did not have D :slight_smile:

1 Like

thx. thats awesome. maybe i dont really need to take insulin anymore. iā€™m cured :wink: (did i mention that my latest A1c came back as 4.8% )

i wonder how all this will work out when i am able to get back into the pool and start swimming again.

4 Likes

Youā€™ll go down to 3% A1c :slight_smile:

1 Like

@daisymae, Iā€™m still in awe over your success! You need to teach me your tricks. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

well, i never ended up spiking last night. i stayed completely flat. overnight BGs were all in the 70s. woke up this morning at 74 and pre-bolused for breakfast. yay, it worked!!!. now i have a pizza formula. now i wonder if it will work similarly at different (but similar) pizza joints. experiment and expand my horizonsā€¦

5 Likes

Since the crust is a big variable in the amount of carbs, I would guess it will work at places that have a similar size and thickness of crust.

With that said, having made pizzaā€™s in my teenage years, there is a huge difference in the amount of fat and cheese in a pizza. Basically, you can add 2x or 3x the amount of cheese you are supposed to without the pizza looking much different. But hey, testing out your local pizza joints is what having this site is all about.

1 Like

yes, it is what this is all about. experiment, experiment, experiment. nothing is a failure :smile:

1 Like

Oh too bad, I guess youā€™ll have to go eat lots and lots of pizzaā€¦ for science.

2 Likes

what am i? the new eric guinea pig? :wink:

4 Likes

I had a bad pizza experience last nightā€¦

Ate some pre-made frozen pizza last night. Per the labels it was only about 50g worth but we all know labels lieā€¦ so I took 6u of novolog to cover it right as I started eating. I always, always have a big spike after the initial bolus wears off with pizzaā€¦ so I was sitting around waiting for it. 2 hours after eating my bg was 75 and all was going so great that I fell asleep in my chair. I woke up at 3am with a bg of 250ā€¦ I clobbered it with 8u of afrezza and sat around til 4 am by which time it had dropped to about 130, so I figured good enough and went back to bed. Woke up again at 5 am at 150 and beat it down with another 4 of afrezza and went right back to sleepā€¦ then woke up at 7 am at about 75

2 Likes

I am curious: was it a pizza brand you have eaten before?

And I am curious: what kind of pizza was it (pepperoni, etc)?

1 Like

Probably had, the results are always the same with pizza. I ate 1/3 of an ultra thin-crust safeway select pepperoni pizza and 1/2 of a Totinoā€™s personal sized triple meatā€¦ wished Iā€™d been using the cgm that time

1 Like

Sounds similar to my first frozen pizza experience after starting insulinā€¦havenā€™t attempted it since, but now that Iā€™ve got my Libre, I plan to use the two crusts in the freezer as soon as I can have dairy again.

1 Like

The real problem is that you are braving the pizza corrections for sub-standard pizza. That is a venial sin, get thyself to a pizza place and do it right. For penance, also have a milkshake and say a couple hail Humalogā€™s

9 Likes

Truth! Taking 4 times the normal amount of insulin is totally worth it for a great piece of NY-style pizza ā€“ but Totinoā€™s is so not worth it.

2 Likes

Yeah it wasnā€™t a planned out culinary adventure or anything I was just in a hurry and didnā€™t have any real food planned. Tonight I do though!

1 Like