Strictly About Pizza

I was hovering around 135-140 mg/dL pretty much all night. For reference, most other things, I spiked up to about 120 and was down within an hour, and my fasting BG seemed to linger in the 60 to 80 range for most of the day.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. So not terribly high. Interesting though! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s how my endo’s nurse has explained it to me. Also the protein will cause a later rise.

1 Like

Our own formulas have changed over time, and they also depend upon the pizza. Thin crust is much easier, and deep dish Chicago-style harder.

Right now, for 2 sliced of Costco pizza, we dose 100% bolus upfront, then another 50% bolus extended 1.5 hours starting an hour after we eat. Typically, but not always, this avoids a spike.

1 Like

Pizza if eaten too late cause all night highs for Liam. So we don’t let him eat pizza after 7PM

2 Likes

We like real pizza but we always bring it home. For a simpler pizza slice, I weigh it, call it 1/3 carb, and take a bolus with 50% up front and the rest over 2 hours. For a pizza with lots of veggies I’ll call it 1/4 carb rather than 1/3. The slices typically weigh 180 to 210 gram, so that’s 60 to 70 grams of carb per slice for the simpler pies. Daisymae’s estimate of 80 grams for 2 slices would not give me nearly enough insulin for the pizzas we have. But with a thinner crust or smaller pie maybe that could work.

1 Like

SUCCESSFUL EXPERIMENT:

so i had 2 slices of pizza yesterday for lunch. i bolused for 90 gms of carbs with 35% up front and 65% extended over 2.5 hours. i started with a BG of 90, and maintained a flat line of 120/125 throughout the entire day. it was only at 10:15 pm that i spiked to 175; i took a correction and was ready for bed. i woke up during the night to test, and i was back in target range.

so i think that this was a true success. although, next time i think i will bolus for 100gms. just a thought. but very happy with how it all worked out.

it was the best pizza ever, and i ate slowly so i could savor every bite. so worth it!!!

DM

6 Likes

Congrats! You’ll have to eat pizza more often now that you’ve got your strategy down :wink:

nom nom :pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza:

1 Like

no kidding. i plan on eating it at least once a week. perhaps making it a regular “date” with my husband :blush:

2 Likes

Awesome!! I’m planning to tackle pizza again soon, now that I can have dairy, have the Libre, and have a steady supply of Afrezza. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

good luck. i found going in, that i was doing an experiment and i would not consider anything a failure. i would simply enjoy every bite, and just let go of whatever my BGs were doing. i took a wild guess and took the chance. i based a lot of it on my formula for a large grilled cheese sandwich. :wink:

2 Likes

Was that the actual carb count or @Eric’s double-the-carbs?

I’ll have to try your 35/65/2.5 formula next time. (Why, you ask, when my formula is working for me? I dunno. Why not?)

2 Likes

i have no idea what the actual carb count was. i looked on the internet for “large slice of cheese pizza” and the counts were between 32 and 38gms a slice. so that would come to about 76gms of carbs on the high end. then i added some more to account for the cheese. and i decided to add a bit more on top of that, hoping i would over-shoot what i actually needed and then hoping that it would work out. whenever i have a grilled cheese sandwich, i count for 65gms with a 50/50% dual bolus over 2 hours. i figured i would be eating more cheese on the pizza, so i extended the length of the bolus for the pizza by 1/2 hour. it seemed to work well.

2 Likes

Great job!,

I like this and will try something very similar next time we have pizza - and wam glad to have Afrezza for a correction later if needed.

2 Likes

pizza experiment # 2:

okay so i had 2.25 slices of pizza (i shared part of the last one with my hubby) this afternoon. i was really hungry. i decided to try tweaking a bit on my last experiement to see what would happen. i bolused for 95 gms of carbs, did a 35/65% dual bolus for 2.5 hours and pigged out.

we walked for about 45 minutes after eating, so i think that ate up some of the carbs b/c i wasnt on any lowered temp basal rate.

2.5 hours after my initial bolus, my BG was 99. i still have 3 units OB for another 4 hours. i will be checking every hour. its experiments like this that make me feel it would be great to be using a Dexcom. but finger sticks work pretty well (if only i hadnt these terrible calluses on them, though :wink: )

i am eager to see how this plays out b/c with my last experiment i was stable for over 6 hours, and no higher than 134, but then at 10:15pm i shot up to 175 (just did an IM correction and came right back down). maybe today it will be different. i hope to stay stable. if i do shoot up again, then the next time i go for pizza, i will extend the bolus to cover 3 hours instead of just 2.5 hours. i might even raise the carb count, too.

signing off,
DM

4 Likes

ooow. just tested at 5:30pm. this is almost 4 hours post bolus and my BG was 135. God, do i wish i had the DEXCOM. am i going to go up more, or will i stabalize? we shall see. i’ll test again in another hour.

2 Likes

That pizza sounds so good right now!!! Congrats on your success!

1 Like

its 7:30pm and i just did a finger stick; BG was 102. keeping my eyes on this; it would be really nice to have that dexcom cgm. also, hope i dont spike later this evening. pizza is such a tricky food to manage. but it tastes so good that its deff worth the effort. MmmGood. :sunny:

4 Likes

If the highest you end up going is 135, that’s AMAZING! :astonished:

2 Likes

Agreed!