Stress and insulin resistance

So, this morning I did a pretty hard workout for 1 hours. My BG rose a bit, but not really high. I drank one of @daisymae ’s Boost shakes bolusing fo fit plus a bit for the rise. Everything was good. This is my usual routine and works well.

After the workout, I spent a long time on hold with my phone carrier, and an even longer time on their website to pay my bill and get a little discount. At the same time my giant fluffy cat was attacking my phone and arm to get attention. When all was said and done I have a twice the spike I had after the workout requiring a correction.

Physical stress like a hard resistance workout elevates my BG a bit, but emotional stress really ramps it up.

No really need, unless you want to, for comments. Just posting this to drain away some of the stress. HA HA, Love you all.:crazy_face: :kiss:

12 Likes

Agreed. I was having some minor dental work done a week or so ago with zero IOB except my small basal. After the procedure I noticed I’d had a steady climb up to 140. Once I was out of the chair and home it had already dropped on its own back to 110. No serious physical discomfort involved, just mild (and unwarranted) anxiety. That’s the first rise I can unequivocally attribute to stress as far as I know.

5 Likes

I too have noticed that stress affects my BG. I am a teacher and we have a 2 day rotation schedule. On Day A, I have a large lively :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: class which I co-teach with a teacher who has a very different teaching style from mine. On Day B, I have a small quiet class which I teach by myself. I eat the same breakfast (weighed and measured) every day but on Day A, my postprandial BG rises much(20-30points) higher than on Day B. A stress response for sure!

7 Likes

Have noticed that personally too. It’s ‘emotional stress’ that causes my blood sugar to go nuts and I have to bolus like crazy. Insanity! Definitely emotional stress.

3 Likes

As someone who’s dealt with both the ups and downs to Emotional Stress impact, and very unexpected impacts of certain types of physical stress (in my case, being in Cardio >15m)… Watch & Listen to your body.

In spring/summer 2003, I tried to deal with my work & emotional stress by being super active at the gym to spend energy… and guess what… my body did not like it, but I did not properly listen to it. Which resulted in Type 1 diagnosis in December of 2003. – I still continued this method, not realizing for years that my body did not like being in cardio beyond 15m, and would get “stuck” in fight or flight response for 6-8h (keeping my Blood sugars above 10 mmol/L, regardless of insulin intake!)

Since, I’ve decided to use Art Therapy, Yoga, etc. as a way to lower stress levels instead, and limit my physical activities so as not to trigger the sustained response.

Most importantly, find a Hobby / Friend / Activity you enjoy, and can easily jump into, and use it to reduce your stress, and get you back to normal (And watch out… for my Yoga had such an impact, I always needed sugar pills handy, and would turn off my pump from about an hour before for 4h.

1 Like

Hi stress is the worst in all 42 years of my T1 diabetes!! I have to make myself calm and relax and then watch my BS come down often!!
I see myself in Gods hands literally. then this helps to relax a bit!

4 Likes