Stockpiling Dexcom G5 transmitters: how long do they last?

@kmichel I have to agree with @Michel about the battery life of G5 sensors.

This is borne out of my tracking longevity of them with xDrip+ ( no artificial software imposed battery limits).

Out of two transmitters purchased at the same time and used consecutively, the first one lasted 193 days, the second one only 123 days.

Although this is just n=2 at this point it would strongly suggest that the transmitter battery wears out according to the Dexcom description.

1 Like

Probably, @docslotnick. However, I do have several spare transmitters and always work with the oldest of the bunch.

I had one go flakey in about 60 days, and they replaced it. I had my previous one to the current one flake out on day 90 (exactly) of use, and they would not replace it for obvious reasons.

I’m just going off of my experience with them. I’d still try to keep using them if I could not get more for some reason.

2 Likes

Interesting. My transmitter purchase date is coming up very soon and I’m stressed that “issues” will come up with my insurance or Byram and my current one will die before I get the new one. Which day do I start the last sensor to get the most extra days? I remember someone testing it but I forget the final result.

I’m thinking that it might be worth it to purchase an extra one out of pocket and always use the older one just so I can always be one transmitter ahead so I don’t run into unfortunate CGM gaps… Do you think that’s worth it?

Also, for taxes 2018 medical expenses are limited to 7.5% AGI then back up to 10% limitation for 2019… so if you itemize even with the larger standard deduction, it makes sense to push medical to 2018. And stockpile syringes and test strips for me. [then likely go to an itemize every other year schedule with charitable, property tax for me and many of my clients]

1 Like

I have found that I get exactly 3 sensor changes (at 1-week intervals) out of a transmitter once it first tells me it is going to die. That is assuming a good transmitter.

Since my insurance only allows 1 transmitter per refill, I bought 2 spares when I first started out and sold one of the two off (it was a 2 for 1 deal from a certain website not related to Dexcom). It really got me nothing but a sense of security for a long time. But I ended up needing it when a transmitter went wonky on me. It avoided having to wait for Dexcom to replace the wonky one.

If you look around, you can find a spare transmitter for about $200 +/-.

1 Like

From my limited experience, I have basically get a 6 month life on the G5 transmitter from when it shows up at my door. I posted some information on this from a Canadian perspective in another thread which is linked at the bottom of this post.

I made an attempt to always keep one G5 transmitter spare and stretched my first transmitter to 6 months using xdrip+ because my insurance only covers 1 transmitter every three months.

Dexcom Canada says (which is different from Dexcom US) - “Your transmitter is covered under a limited warranty for three months, starting from the shipment date.”

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: DIY replacing Dexcom G5 batteries?

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are helping me understand my recent shipment of two Dexcom G5 transmitters. If they only warranty the purchase for three months, why am I being sold a supply of two (2)? Every time I’ve received my G5 shippment it has been with two (2) transmitters (G4 we only got one transmitter per order). I guess time will tell if they will both work as expected and/or if I am able to receive a replacement transmitter free from Dexcom if it doesn’t. Again, thank you for sharing here! I feel empowered having this information and won’t be scratching my head as hard if something should go awry!

1 Like

We have always received two at a time also…I think it’s an insurance thing. I have never had one NOT work for the full time.

1 Like

@Tapestry my comments about the 3 month warrantee are based on Canadian supplied transmitters. In Canada you get only 1 G5 per box.

In the US I expect they do no sit on a supplier’s shelf for as long but I could be wrong.

Thanks for weighing in @ClaudnDaye . The same here; they have always worked. It’s good to know though, a possible reason, should they not!

@Aaron, thank you. I saw Canada and wondered about that. Perhaps in the States it is different becuase they ship two. That was a selling feature when moving from the G4 to the G5, that you would receive two transmitters, because they didn’t last as long as the G4. This information will help; hopefully I won’t need to fall back on it! :slight_smile:

This is how the warranty works in the US: the transmitters are warranted as long as they are started within 5 months of shipment.

When you get 2 transmitters, as long as you start the first one less than 2 months after reception, and the second one follows within 90 days, you are good for the regular life of both transmitters.

If you start the second transmitter 5 months and 1 day after shipping, if it is DOA or dies before 90 days you are out of luck.

3 Likes

I’m noticing that my G5 transmitter box labels do not include an SB Ship By date. Only the manufactered date.

Just tried to start one that was manufactured in April 2019. Wouldn’t pair.

Trying one manufactured May 2019 now.

My supplier tends to send me stuff that was manufactured a while ago.

1 Like

Darn. That is not good when dealing with Dexcom transmitters.

2 Likes

May 2019: also wouldn’t pair

Trying my other May 2019 now…

1 Like

In September 2019 we started a May 2018 transmitter. It lasted only about 10 days.

Of course, at that level it is an issue of odds. Some will pair, some not. Some will last longer than others.

2 Likes

This second May 2019 transmitter did pair. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

…and it died two weeks later at 1AM…which means the app screamed at me every five minutes for 45 minutes with me snoozing it in my sleep until I woke up and realized which beep it was.

I ended up turning my phone off entirely bc you can’t silence a transmitter alarm for good so far as I can tell.

I turned my phone on this morning (after waking up with no help from my usual phone alarm clocks since my phone was off) and it started screaming the transmitter warning scream immediately and thereafter every five minutes.

I have Android and I can go into phone settings and Force Stop the app. It shuts down the dexcom app and stops all readings and alarms. Allows you to keep using your phone, but shut up Dexcom. I do this during the dreaded first 8 hours of a new sensor when my readings are way off(low).

Not sure if that works for iOS.

2 Likes

I had a start-by Jan 2019 transmitter some sweetie :heart: sent me. I tried using it this week. Sadly it did not start. :frowning:

dexcom lifespan image insulin lifespan

3 Likes

80 minute phone call with Dexcom:

I learned:
-they consider G5 shelf life to be 5 months from when they ship the transmitter from the MANUFACTURER to the DISTRIBUTOR
-they only warranty G5 transmitters within 5 months of the ship date to the distributor (not the ship date to me), or if it failed within 90 days of the day I received it
-Dexcom can see my transmitter starts and stops through my app…they inexplicably cannot see all of the failed pairings with the other transmitters…they had no way to verify that the transmitters wouldn’t pair
-the Dexcom India call center is completely closed due to the pandemic
-I spoke to a call rep working from his home in Cincinnati
-call reps have discretion to do “goodwill” replacement of high value items such as transmitters and receivers…this is based on the call rep, their supervisor, your order history, and your replacement history
-I elected to not burn my “goodwill” option on a G5 transmitter today since I imagine I will be forced to the G6 soon

None of my three transmitters were replaced bc I’d had them more than 90 days. Nevermind that I received a May 2019 transmitter in December 2019. Not covered.

3 Likes