Statins and blood pressure drugs: yes or no?

No side effects for me. I have been using a combo version of those two for more than 10 years. The HCTZ is an old and well studied drug that has been in use for more than 60 years. ACE inhibitors have a bunch of beneficial effects in people whose RAAS system is in overdrive (like mine). But if you have side effects the good news is there are so many approaches to managing blood pressure that one is sure to work well.

3 Likes

I actually started on an ace inhibitor, lisinopril 10mg, before I was 40.

I’ve had a mystery cough flare up a number of times in my life that seemed to linger for a whole season…. That happened again at some point while on lisinopril , and even though I’m not convinced it was related, since it’s happened before (and it seemed to respond to flonase)…. They ended up switching me to an ARB, Losartan 50mg…. No complaints

3 Likes

I took an ace inhibitor for 20 years, and a statin, starting at the time of my type 1 diagnosis. When I started I think there was a little vague dizziness from both, but I acclimated. Recently my potassium started reading high, so they switched me from the ace inhibitor to a calcium channel blocker plus a diuretic that dumps excess potassium.

3 Likes