Spiking from Different Foods and How We Handle It

Enjoy your new-found yogurt excursions!!

thank you. i went back to the market today to buy myself another container, and they were all sold out. :sob:

I am going to look on AMAZON :wink:

2 Likes

Breakthroughs like that really do help quality of life. Itā€™s nice when we discover tricks that enable us to enjoy life more and live it to itā€™s fullest. <3

1 Like

tell me about it !!! its taken me a year to figure out my swimming routine. food is a whole other deal. but i wasnt going to give up. i love yogurt too much to call it quits.

2 Likes

guess what ! not only did i experiment 4 times with the new ā€œregularā€ full-fat yogurt, but i bought another brand to see if there was any consistency with my results. AND, there was. no problem at allā€¦ i wonder what it is about the Greek yogurt that spikes me? it has 1/2 the carbs and 1/2 the sugars in it. i guess its density causes it to digest at a different rate???

1 Like

Perhaps you were Roman in a past life, and the Greekā€™s are just getting back at you. You never know.

3 Likes

this could be the answer to so many other questions i have :wink:

1 Like

If that is true they should. You civilization wrecker you, @daisymae!

1 Like

why is everyone picking on me. you Greeks are all the same. thick, rich and creamy yogurt lovers :wink:

2 Likes

tried a different brand of yogurt today. its very similar, ingrediants are obviously the same, but the amount of carbs in all of the yogurts i looked at at the market were surprisingly different. also, the amount of sugars in each brand were different. i dont know the preperation process that gives all these yogurts such different tastes and consistancies, but i found it interesting.

just thought i should report it. (especially b/c it seems that all of the Greek yogurts are the same across the board)

1 Like

So out of curiosity, what did the Greek yogurt do in terms of a spike? (ie - BG readings?)

i would spike over 100 points within an hour. (and this was for only 6 - 8 gms of carbs and no sugar, splenda or fruit.)

Despite pre-bolusing?

Btw, do you spike with the other brand of yogurt you just tried?

no, i havent. isnt that the weirdest thing? what on earth is in that Greek yogurt that makes me spike? its like the COFFEE spiking thing; some of us go sky high within a half hour, and some of us have no response at all. dont know what to make of it. (and BTW, i bought 2 new different brands of yogurt this afternoon; all from different companies, and i tasted each one, as an experiment, and not one of them spiked me. go figure ! :smile:

1 Like

before eating the Greek yogurt, my BG would be 80, and within 1 hour, i would be over 200. and i tried everything. 2%, full fat, 0%, different brands, etc. nothing different from any of them; completely the same reactions and reaction time, as well. (i could proably do a dual bolus for one, but who wants to go through all that trouble just to have 8oz of yogurt??? :wink:

1 Like

I spike from no-fat, sugar free, fruit-added yogurt but I do not spike with full fat Bulkan yogurt with me adding some berries and sweetener manually.

I find it annoying that there is no sugar, free full-fat berry yogurts but, hey, that is life. Just because I do do not want added sugar does not mean I do not want fat :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i am right on board with you regarding the full fat. it is my preference above all others. i like how thick and creamy it is. and i prefer it tangy, so i dont use anything in it. no sweetners or berriesā€¦just plain. why this spikes me is beyond my comprehension.

1 Like

Itā€™s inexplicable. I have zero spike with full fat plain Greek yogurt. I donā€™t even bolus for it.

But last week I mistakenly bought the vanilla flavored. 6g in the plain, 12g in the vanilla. When I ate the vanilla yogurt I spiked like if I had drank orange juice.

1 Like

interesting. i wonder why you spiked from the Vanilla when there was only 11 gms of carbs. maybe the sugar content was considerably higher. did you check the container before you threw it out? i have noticed on these ā€œregularā€ yogurts that even though they are not Greek and are not made with any sugar, you still have the sugars of the milk in them. also, the different brands have different amount of carbs and of sugars. i have no explanation for this, but i am just going with the flow. i am certain that i will find the one brand that does spike me, but i am not there yet. (i have tried 3 brands so far : ITHICA MILK, Brown Cow, and Maple Hillā€¦ all Full Fat)

1 Like

BTW, how high did you spike? and what was your BG before eating the Vanilla yogurt?