So Word on FUD Street is Contour is the Meter to go with.... but why?

Wow!!!
I’m sure my perspective is different based on diagnosed 50+ years ago, but any meter is better than urine testing, or the visually read BG strips when they first came out. And when meters first came out, they required huge drop of blood, and 2 minutes to do test.

When I check my dexcom or meter BG, I see it as an appoximation, as BG is constantly fluctuating to some degree.

I do BG checks primarily to use as calibrations for dexcom. I may do 1-4 tests with my verio and/or contour next, depending on how far off meter and dexcom are, and what the variation is between meter values.

2 Likes

this is why i no longer use the One Touch products. terribly unreliable, inaccurate, and worthless.

1 Like

Every country has problems with their medical system, but I think ours is pretty good. I don’t think you would meet too many, if any, Canadians who would trade our system for the American system. I see one of the best endos in the world for free and don’t have to worry if I change jobs or lose my job that I won’t have access to healthcare. Insulin is affordable over the counter, no one is forced into R+NPH because they lose their job here that I’m aware of. Pumps are even free for everyone in my province! Different people will have different opinions, and quality of care is better in big cities vs. rural areas, but I’m a huge fan of our system despite improvements that can always be made.

I don’t use 18 meters… not quite. But I do swim in numbers.

Yes, this is consistent with what I hear from all of the diabetics who are either in great control or just highly skilled. There’s a certain confidence and coolness to it. I don’t think it’s that you have a different perspective at all, you’re just already where I’d like to be. And, having been diagnosed 50+ years ago, I imagine you’ve been there for some time.

I really did a bang up job of my diabetes management for approximately the first 13+ years of it. A true train wreck. I think about some of the things I pulled, and I understand I’m lucky, very lucky, to have survived it at all. So I’ve been trying to figure it out for the last couple of years. Slowly kind of settling into it, and there has definitely been quite a bit of “the harder you try, the worse it gets” kind of thing going on. In reality, however, it’s not that it’s getting any worse. You’re just seeing it where you’ve never seen it before. And when you look, you want to fix it, and that’s when the games begin. So I used to test a couple of times a week, and now I test sometimes 20 times a day. Sometimes more. It’s over-compensation, but it’s a stage, too.

I do use my CGM, where possible, as a guide of sorts. A way to keep an eye on my blood sugar. But as good as I’ve gotten at understanding these numbers, and unless it turns out I know nothing at all, then I do think I understand quite a bit, I just can’t use it like that. It’s just too much guessing… If I’ve been at a 51 for an hour on my CGM and have corrected 45 minutes ago, then I have no idea if I’m at a 75, a 125, a 225… or a 51. I have to stay ahead of it because getting behind it sets me up for failure.

I’m long winded. :slight_smile: I’m trying to say you’re right, and I know you’re right, I’m just trying to get there.

2 Likes

There is Walmart in Canada (since 1994) but no Relion. I suspect this is because Relion does not want to get their products approved in Canada for such a small market.

No - Not joking. It is not a casette tape, it is a test strip cassette. It is really cool and the thing feels high quality, but it is quite bulky so I don’t use it that much.

Here is a salesy video. At 1:25 you see how cool this is…

https://www.accu-chek.ca/en/meter-systems/mobile

You would…

Send your taste buds into overdrive with the perfect combination of crunchy, chewy AND chocolate. Our highly coveted HobNobs get a boost of milk chocolate, resulting in a biscuit that is as sweet as it is satisfying.

1 Like

Can you give us dimensions?

1 Like

Wow, is that a commercial or just your personal description??? I’d like a hobnob. Very badly. It’s probably a good thing we don’t have them here. Though I haven’t known to look…

Because it does look like the old car phones… a little bit.

1 Like

I copied the Hobnobs description off the McVitie’s website - there are also dark chocolate covered hobnobs which are better than the milk cholocate in my opinion.

I just checked and they are available on amazon.com but at truly rip-off prices.

This post has plenty of interesting comments - not had time to read them all so apologies if I am repeating what others have said.
First the standard for a meter to be approved for testing is really quite poor. The Contour Next has a MARD of 5 but I think to qualify somenthing like 15 is OK.
On my website bgonmywatch.com I have an article “Calibration needs accurate blood glucose meters” which has links to 4 or 5 separate studies on meter accuracy. In all of them the Contour Next is in the top one or two places. However other Contours using the same strips do not do so well.
If you are using them to calibrate CGM then G5, G6, Guardian Connect all claim a MARD of about 9 so if you add this to the 5 of the Next you have a potential variation of 15 %. Personally I set my lower warnings at 4.5 to allow for an up to 20% variation against the 3.5 at which my warning signs kick in.
As someone above said accuracy is the thing that counts, why spend all lthat money (or insurance I am UK based so do not understand US insurance) and not try and get the best outcomes?

1 Like

Yeah I’m not happy with them eliminating the built in tester, but that’s offset by the fact it will have a follow app,similar to Dexcom that will combine Dexcom info and pdm info. This will be nice when our daughter is back in school as we can look at the follow app and if she is high or low, see if the school has done anything to rectify it, before calling them.
The app plus Bluetooth being more reliable at longer distances than the radio frequency pods makes the change attractive for us.

I was just checking out your site and came across this:

“The accuracy is measured by mean absolute relative difference (MARD). Basically this means the percentage variation plus or minus when compared to a laboratory test which measures the plasma as compared to the meter which measures the whole blood. A MARD of 5 means that the meter is not more than plus or minus 5% different to the laboratory reading.”

I spend too much of my day alone with my meters, annoyed. Based on recommendations here, I’m bringing in a couple with me to my next lab draw. I didn’t have much more of a plan than just to see which ones were closest. Is this how people can people can determine the accuracy of their own meters?

Very interesting site by the way! :slight_smile:

Thanks, absolutely no point in calibrating with a poor meter. Especially as I understand Contour Next strips are reasonably priced. Do not pay for them myself.

The site was set up earlier this year to act as a first step for people who have not heard of CGM. I have spent the last 3 months trying to get articles in the media to tell lthem how CGM can transform their lives. Directed especially to parents of T1 kids and adults who have poor warning signs.

My favoutie analogy is that for 35 years I was groping around in a vast warehouse trying to find things with my mobile phone which constantly needs re-charging. Then I find a switch marked CGM and the warehouse is flooded with light every item on every shelf in sharp focus.

So far not had much success but writing an aricle for online diabetic magazine that has lead me to find out much more about the various systems. The All about CGM article had an update last night and by the weekend should have had several more including one that for me is an eye opener.

Cheers,

Anthony

Sorry I did not answer you question.

I have done this a couple of times but not a regular thing. The Contour is consistantly aligned with my xdrip+ app that I totally believe in it. However as everyone is different it might work better for one person than another. Of course when comparing you should have your blood glucose in a pretty straight line not rising or falling sharply. If you have CGM not a problem if only BG sticks then might be a good idea to take a sample 20 minutes before and after the hospital test as well as at the same time.

Good luck,

Anthony

1 Like

I did bring my freestyle meter when blood was drawn for lab 71 vs 79. Pretty close. Freestyle does take the least amount of blood compared to the other meters that I’ve used, Accuchek Aviva, OneTouch. One Touch is by far the worst: requires the most blood, inconsistent. My new insurance will cover only Contour, so we’ll see what they brings.

2 Likes

I’m with you on the one Touch… some people do all right with it, but it’s not my overachiever. I’m STILL waiting to hear back from my doc about my lab draw. About to go call again…

Have yet to find anyone who has reported doubting their contour. And I did the man draw, nice and stable, and am still awaiting the verdict.

Hope this finds you well!

Hi Nicky I’m pretty good, in a world full of confusion and doubt I have been convinced or convinced myself that the contour is the best. What is a bit confusing the reports that I quote say that the other Ascensia products using exactly the same strip are not quite so good. I was tempted to get the one that looks like a memory stick but it came up less well in the various studies.

Hope the verdict looks good

1 Like

What’s bewildering to me is the variability in costs, the insurance coverage, or the absence of coverage of test strips. If anything, one would think that if we are vigilant, testing as necessary and keeping good BG, WNL, we ought to be 1. commended for our good efforts and 2. not be discouraged or disallowed from “testing too frequently”. Quite some time ago, I was told by one endo, “I don’t want you testing so often” - in reference to more frequently than once daily. SMH. Needlessly to say, I’ve moved onto doctors who support my desire to maintain good health.

Our healthcare system is truly broken. It appears to reward disease and illness management rather than prevention. Insurance will cover amputation, dialysis, which are all possible complications of poorly managed diabetes. Yet, why don’t they focus more on proper management of diabetes? In the end, preventive costs and programs will cost FAR less than hospitalization and procedures.

3 Likes

I hear you… and I’m going to need a keyboard to respond…