Sleep study with diabetes tech?

Thanks to me always being tired for what feels like my whole life, I’m finally getting a sleep study done in a couple of weeks. I’ve never had one - likely it’s not sleep apnea but I’m curious if it’s something else.

I’m a little worried about having my equipment with me and how it could affect my results. I’ll try to eat a non-complex meal a few hours before I go so I’m not spiking overnight. Normally I sleep sans clothing with my pump laying next to me, so I think I’ll have shorts and a tshirt on and still just leave my pump next to me. Normally if I go over 140, my high alert will go off and I’ll bolus. If I’m low, of course I’ll eat something (although that rarely happens overnight with my Tandem setup).

Any knowledge on how this could affect my sleep study?? I’m sure some people here have done them before!

2 Likes

If the diabetes tech is a problem (never had a study done, so not sure) you could always transition to one day of injected basal and not sleep with the pump.

That’s a reasonable suggestion, but I’m always sleeping with my pump. I think I’d rather have it because I’ll probably sleep better than I would if I was not using my control IQ.

2 Likes

One issue I had sleeping is that the temperature was too hot upstairs and the humidity levels were too dry…took me a while to figure that out. I’ve heard also that having plenty of vitamins and minerals from berries and veggies helps. I know this is a little on the healthy living pseudo-science side…but, I’ve noticed a difference.

1 Like

Reasonable thoughts. My husband and I have been working on improving our work for awhile - the house is pretty cold at night (affects him more than me) and I’m vegetarian as of this year but try to eat a healthy variety of food (although I’m definitely not perfect). I’ll take the ideas though!

1 Like

When sleeping I like a cool house, but with blankets.

1 Like

Same!

1 Like

I have had several sleep studies done in the past 23 years, and my pump or lows and highs has not been an issue. They do have a camera on to monitor movement while sleeping, but you can change in the bathroom (so wear something).
I do have a sleep disorder that was undiagnosed until I was 48, idiopathic hyper-somnia; or excessive daytime sleepiness.
Take care,
Mike

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply! Glad to know others have had to deal with this, too.

1 Like

I have a belt with pockets I put my pump in at night as I’m a restless sleeper. I had no problems with my pump in the sleep studies I did.

I now use a BiPAP and my AHI (number of times per hour I stop breathing) went from 99+ to under .5 once we got the right settings and right mask.

2 Likes

@allison , I concur with @Mikey417 . Wear something comfortable. There are several cameras monitoring you (including ir). Wear your pump, and eat, drink and otherwise treat the study as a normal night. They will come and wake you up if you show signs of sleep apnea and put either a face mask or a nasal mask on you for the duration. Usually you are up and out by 0700 the next day.

2 Likes

I had a sleep study done prior to cgm and pump, but i think it would be important to keep the normal routine with those as you normally wood or the study will be of a non typical night and therefor might not see what it really happening. As tests go it is a really easy one…all you need to do is nothing :slight_smile: they will likely get you up pretty early (mine was about 6 am…which is pretty early for me) before I had the study done in the clinic I also had one at home… A home sleep apnea test is a very simplified breathing monitor that tracks your breathing, oxygen levels, and breathing effort while worn. It does not fully capture what is monitored with an overnight sleep study. Overnight sleep studies give a more thorough assessment of sleep issues. They are attended by a sleep technologist and capture many more signals, including brainwaves for sleep, muscle tone, and leg movements. My home test was inconclusive so they had me do an overnight…the overnight was actually easier because I knew that I wouldn’t do something wrong and mess it up so I was more relaxed and slept better. anyway relaxing and being comfortable is the most important part to get an accurate assessment …comfy clothes ect…

2 Likes

Thank you all for your help/thoughts! My study was last night - I arrived at 8:30, ready for bed and got all hooked up - that was no problem. I was able to just lay my pump on the bed next to me. But I couldn’t sleep. I was so worried about NOT sleeping that I was up all night. I’d be about to fall asleep, realize what was happening, and wake myself up. The tech said I got about 2 hours of sleep but never hit REM. They aren’t really worried about it being apnea so hopefully something else will show. If not, I may end up doing a repeat one, maybe at home. (I did get a good 4 hours when I got back in my own bed!)

1 Like

so sorry it didn’t go as well as it might…the home option might be good for you … there is a lot to be said for the comfort of ones own bed

2 Likes

Agreed! They don’t get as much data about brain activity, I guess. I’ll wait and see what my results are before thinking much more about it.

3 Likes