Should I get a Pedicure?

Fascinating… the podiatrist I saw a few years ago suggested (as well as moisturizing— pertaining to my structural problem—collapsed arches causing a nueroma) that I use over the counter orthotic inserts and invest in higher quality shoes (she suggested brooks). I bought several pairs of orthos… and have used ever since. Also bought a pair of brooks… put them in my closet and never wore them. Had forgotten all about them until now… got them put today and put some otc orthotic insoles in them… total game changer; unbelievable—- seems like I could run a marathon again and yesterday I was literally begging my daughter to grab things from upstairs for me because it was so painful to go up or down stairs… somewhat of a separate issue from the moisturizing, but seems really remarkable such a small thing could make such a big difference

5 Likes

Nothing wrong with a pedicure but as a diabetic with some foot issues you still want to see your Dr first and maybe get a medical pedicure. There are some things a regular salon won’t and can’t do especially with heavy used feet in work boots and such. Just one example is my nailbed has the tendency to attach very closely to the tip of the nail, so close that if I cut too short it will bleed. Also it prevents from cleaning underneath the nail, kind of a reverse ingrown. A medical pedicurist can take care of that and a variety of possible other issues.

4 Likes

Glad your feet are feeling better.

That’s great! I have custom orthotics and have basically been told I should wear them as much as possible, including wearing sandals indoors rather than going barefoot, if possible. I had to buy expensive sandals with removable insoles so I could put my orthotics in them. Orthotics definitely make a huge difference, though; if I go out without mine, I can barely walk after five minutes and my feet will hurt for the next day or two.

1 Like

that’s how I ended up at FUD…odd…

3 Likes

@Sam did you ever get your pedicure sorted out? I have dry feet especially at seasonal weather changes which causes huge cracks in my heels, and like you I have tried many products with limited success. There are many Borage oil based creams on the market, but the one like best is made by Shikai. Shikai is my favorite because it absorbs quickly without leaving a greasy mineral oil/vaseline mess and it’s effective for me. Borage oils are super effective for skin issues, because Borage oils are a primary source of GLA and OMEGA-6 fatty acids that penetrate thick and rough skin. Combined with increased hydration (more water) my problem usually goes away in <10 days.

Everyone seems to have a favorite based on their experience. It would be interesting to know what ultimately works for you.

2 Likes

Never actually got a pedicure. Got some gold bond “rough and bumpy skin” cream that’s done a good job moisturizing and keeping the cracking at bay but hasn’t done much to actually reduce the overall amount of thickened calloused skin, just made it not bothersome as long as I keep using it

3 Likes

Finally pulled the trigger and did this to celebrate my fully vaccinated status. FFS certainly glad I waited until then because this place was not unlike a Wuhan wet market. Still actually enjoyed it. Think I’ll do it once in a while although would prefer to find a little slower paced less crowded places

I did tip well because I had no idea this kinda thing included leg massages and I did not manscape.

3 Likes