Shorter needles :(

So from most providers perspective they don’t want you to give an IM injection because that might make you go low. Our endo has been ok with my son doing it, but she didn’t want him telling others when he gives a talk…

1 Like

IM makes the insulin start to work faster. IM would either reduce or eliminate the need to pre bolus. Does the IM insulin hit us all at once? or is the insulin shape moved along the time curve to an earlier start time? and if the subq takes about 3 -4 hours to be out of our system, perhaps IM takes less than 3 -4 hours?

The insulin would begin to work earlier, so maybe not good for foods like pizza. But for ordinary meals, I’m unsure if I understand how there could be a low.

If you carb count correctly and eat a normal meal there is no bigger chance that the IM will go low than the sub q, but that doesn’t comfort endo’s and diabetes nurses. They follow the guidelines. Of course that is where a place like FUD comes in. While we haven’t ventured anywhere near IV insulin, we often use IM. The penalty for IM for us is no different than subq and it works better for rage boluses. IV on the other hand, you can really ■■■■ that up royally, and of course if you are careful great, for us the payoff isn’t enough.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: What is a normal meal vs a complex one, for bolusing?

Some people will hit their muscles all the time if they use long needles. I don’t use insulin pens very often, because I’m on the pump. But I don’t want longer needles when I use a pen.
Actually, I wonder if short pump cannulas could prevent kinked cannulas sometimes.
Personally, I don’t need insulin to work faster most of the time and I rarely pre-bolus.

1 Like

Holy schnikes! I’ve been asking my doctor & various pharmacists this for a few years now. None really did more than rolling their eyes and issue platitudes.

In addition to the obvious difference between 6mm & 8mm, I have done physical comparison of lesser brands 8mm and name brand 8mm (B&D for example). Several house brand or even Reli-On 8mm needles are typically in the 6.5-7.5mm ranges (not getting into sharpness, needle thickness/flimsy).

Before noting the difference i swore on pharmacy was actually getting supplied with damaged batch of Novolog pens.

Fyi, my sweet-spot in the belly. other places are too lean. But like others I’d need a 30000mm needle for belly these days. Seriously though 8mm won’t get there from here.

My differences were quite marked. Staying in the 95-120 range vs hitting 220-240 with the shorter needles. Same areas, same food (have pretty rigid set of foods that work great).

I should add that shorter needles, on me, don’t get deep enough into the fatty layer resulting in generally poor effectiveness. I’m nowhere close to IM. I’ve yet to experiment with IM and likely never will but now I’m curious dang you! hahaha…

Brands I’d love to see others compare are Reli-On, Good Neighbor & True Plus with B&D Short 8mm.

Sorry to have rambled but i can’t express enough how happy this topic made me to stumble across. Thanks to OP & everyone. Going armed to the doc next week & pharmacy this afternoon. my folks are actually great if I’ve spent time really checking into an issue or topic…they listen and discuss unlike others I’ve endured.

3 Likes

I just got 2 boxes of 8mm pen needles and just began using these for all bolus. I will still use the 4mm for my Tresiba and report my experience back to the group. For some reason, I thought the backflow (the dribble that comes out after the injection) may be less in the 8mm compared to the 4mm. It appears to be the same.

The 8 mm pen needles appear to be intimidating :open_mouth:. The 8mm syringe, for some reason don’t look as intimidating as the pen needle.

2 Likes