Thinking about taking a pump break

I seem to be struggling with Pods lately, poor absorption, unexpected highs, a pump site spot that hasn’t healed after 2 weeks, etc. So I am thinking it’s time for a pump break and need to buy more insulin syringes (I just have a few in my back-up stash.) I am fairly lean and am not sure what size needle I ought to request. When I used pens I used anywhere from 4mm to 6mm tips and I still have a bunch to use with the Tresiba for basal that my HCP gave me. Thanks for suggestions and any other transition advice in advance!

3 Likes

Whether you are using a pen or syringes, make sure you get something with a 1/2 unit increment!!

(You may be spoiled with the micro-doses from the pump. :grinning:)

I like the longer needles. I think they absorb faster. The 4mm ones were horribly slow for me. I use 8mm.

I like syringes better than pens. I just trust them more.

I think BD makes the best syringes and pen needles. I would not skimp on quality.

If you think 8mm is okay for you, my recommendation is the BD, 31-gauge, 8mm (5/16") length, with 1/2 unit markings.
Here is the NDC#:

6 Likes

I use pens, and I also prefer longer needles. I think counterintuitively they are generally less painful than the super short ones (not that any pen needles are truly long).

5 Likes

Thank you both! :pray:

2 Likes

depending on what your insurance covers, obtaining the right insulin pen and cgm will make the break easier. if its only for a little while, you might consider afrezza… its really fast and will most likely only affect your lungs after 1 year of use…easiest insulin to give yourself while driving

3 Likes

I don’t know, I would find it easier to quickly jab myself one handed than to use Afrezza I think. For me, the benefit of Afrezza is 100% the speed of action. I find it much more annoying and also less subtle to use than pens (tho I inject through clothing, so if you don’t, your experience may differ).

1 Like

I had a pod lump for over a month one time. So aggravating. I don’t know if it was too close to muscle on a lean area and just knotted up or what.

I hate to hear that you’ve been dealing with these frustrations. I totally get it.

Even just relying on my pods for basal is a bit exciting for me…meaning inconsistent. But for my own factors at play it’s still the best evil for me if I’m gonna have to be diabetic. But my point is that injecting for eating or corrections took care of 90% of my site issues.

Are you leaner than you were? More yoga lately? Are you sitting or sleeping on them differently during our long Coronatine? I had that issue pop up when I quit my job and was at home full time. Different chairs and different movements through the day impacted my sites in new ways.

Anyway, whatever you do I’m sure you’ll rock it out. Hopefully it’s a string of flukes for the big picture. I support you whatever you do!!! Hugs!!!

5 Likes