Restarting G6 sensors and transmitter

Are you saying you don’t need to install anything on your iphone, just use the settings on the receiver or iphone to Debug? Or do I need to download Xdrip+ on my iphone I don’t have a mac I have a pc.
Thank you

sent you a message on a question forgot to mention I am using G6

Hi @Skooters xDrip+ is not compatible with the iPhone, only Android. The Spike app is what you’ll need

1 Like

I am trying to do the iphone restart on a transmitter, do I need a mac or just a PC?

I just tried to restart Dexcom G6 sensor using the method of removing the transmitter and putting it back in after 45 minutes. I let the first session expire before I did this. It took the 2 hour warmup successfully. It opened with a very high number. I entered a manual calibration and now every 15 minutes it keeps asking for a calibration and doesn’t give any readings. It is caught in a loop. I used the original code from the one before. Has anyone encountered this problem? Is it because my transmitter will expire in 2 days or it is my user error? Thank you. Help! J.

1 Like

I think it is because there is a high difference in what it thinks (on assuming a real new sensor), and what you are entering. I suggest you enter that number again and again if it keeps asking.

Another option for next time is to restart with no code.

As for transmitter days, it normally goes several days linger than what it shows, so I would keep trying calibrations. After a day or so, it may work without calibration request.

2 Likes

Hi Jojo,

I have experienced this at least twice. After completing the warmup session I would get very high numbers and get caught in a calibration loop as you did. Once you get caught up in that loop just replace it with a new sensor. I just restarted a G6 sensor successfully by calibrating immediately following that first high reading. Just do 1 calibration because with will get stuck in that calibration loop.

Good luck!

2 Likes

@G6newbie, can you explain that again, please? I am still unclear.

2 Likes

Hi Michael, I have experienced the high readings after restarting the G6 via removal of the transmitter for 30 minutes, then going through your normal warmup process as if you were inserting a new sensor. At first, I thought I had dislodged the sensor during transmitter removal but that was not the case. I tried calibrating and got stuck in the calibration loop which will go into calibration error and then sensor error. When I restarted my current sensor, I again was given a high reading. I calibrated and waited. I did not get calibration messages and the sensor is functioning fine. Not sure if I was just lucky but I did not calibrate more than once. Once you receive that calibration message you are done. Not sure if that helps.

3 Likes

I have a 8HHxxx transmitter and have so far been able to run my first G6 sensor already for 55 days and just restarted it today again for another 10 days!
I have been very careful, however, to protect the sensor on my arm with an additional adhesive patch that I replace every 5-7d. So far I did not experience any issues on my skin and no itching or rash.

Most of the time I was able to restart it in the following way:

1. Wait for new BG to come in and then wait about one minute.
  2. Forget/delete Dexcom from Bluetooth list in phone’s settings.
  3. “Stop Sensor”, “New Sensor”, enter code, “Start Sensor”
  4. Wait 2 hours and 5 min for the warmup to finish. Do not accept any pairing requests during that time. You’ll probably see “transmitter not found” display on the Dexcom app during this time. You can use your phone as normal during this time, but I advise turning off Dexcom app in the Notifications section of your phone settings so that you don’t keep getting pinged every 5 minutes.
  5. After the warmup wait, open Dexcom app and wait for pairing request.
  6. Accept pairing request. You may see “signal loss” message for up to 5 min after this setup.
  7. BGs and fresh 10-day session should appear after that signal loss clears in five minutes.

Today when I tried that again, I got a “No Restart” error two times in a row so I tried the other a bit more complicated method removing/reinserting the transmitter as shown on the YouTube video “How To RESTART A Dexcom G6 Sensor (2020 Version!)”

What I noticed is, that the readings upon any restart are completely off (much too high) in the beginning. I will then usually re-calibrate it on a daily basis the first 3-4 days and after that it gets very accurate without much noticeable dropouts for the rest of the time.

While this seems to work fine for me, keep in mind that I am not a diabetic and use it only for experimental reasons, as I just want to monitor my response to different food items. The approach might be risky, if you have to rely on the readings for your insulin. Dexcom sensors are only calibrated and approved for Diabetes during 10 days, anything beyond you are on uncharted territory…

3 Likes

Wow! $500!!!

I saw that someone was paying a $100 deductible each for a 90-day supply of sensors and the transmitter.

Now I really feel blessed that Univ of PennCare (IBX Personal Choice with a better tier for Penn Pharmacies) only costs $30 each per 30-days and only $60 each for a 90-day supply of both.

1 Like

That is a really great deal. Glad it is working out for you. We just paid $350 but the rest of the year will be much less.

When I started with dexcom seven, it was also via pharmacy, and could be included in mail order 90 day supply for insulin, bg strips, syringes, etc, referred to as a diabetic kit ($40 per 90 day). After one year they realized cgm wasn’t similar price as bg strips, so excluded from kit and had to get dexcom from DME. Was great while it lasted.

1 Like

Today under the shower my first sensor finally fell off after 96d of duty and about 10 restarts.
Let’s see, how long I can go with the 2nd one… :grinning:

3 Likes

Wow that is amazing. Did you get good data the whole time?

@andrea: indeed amazing runtime - how did you manage the sticking tape? removed the original Dexcom tape after X days and used which alternative exchanged every Y days? I know that good fixation with tape plays a key role to achieving long runtimes.

Lately I’m just getting indefinite calibration errors when I try to restart the g6. Are there any new tricks? This started with my last few shipments probably starting mid 2021.

Does it make a difference whether you use the code or the no-code mode?

I’m not sure—- always in the past when I’ve restarted, it’s been with no-code— as far as I’ve known that was necessary to restart

1 Like

If you try to calibrate with too big of a difference, it doesn’t like it and it will ask for repeated calibrations. If you split it into two smaller requests, that usually solves it. The second calibration I pick a number in between because it’s algorithm usually works it towards that calibrated number anyways. I’ll fine tune it the next day.

But if you get in the recalibration loop just enter the same number two times in a row and it takes it as gospel. Of course that number will be off later as it works it’s way through it’s algorithm.

2 Likes