Restarting G6 sensors and transmitter

But to get back on topic, I’m planning on calling dexcom or their sales rep (was solara med supplies during my last purchase), and getting a quote on how much I’m going to spend for the g6 CGM. I’ll prob hit my out of pocket maximum and then stock up on insulins, test strips, and dexcom sensors so I hopefully won’t have to use it next year. Knock on wood

2 Likes

Oh, now I see. The 3-month supply will last 6.5 months, not that the 3 sensors will. That’s about the same sensor life as I get.

Have any of you tried the methods on the Restarting G6 sensors link – and, more to the point, has anyone been able to replicate the results that result in you NOT requiring calibration after restart?

Seems from the comments on that link that some have been able to do so, but not with sufficiently consistent predicability so as to be able to articulate the process… Not a huge deal, I guess (we’re about to hit the end of our first G6 sensor, and I suppose you could always “calibrate” from the current reading… as long as you’re comfortable you’re not pushing the sensor too long – we’re only aiming to get 2 full weeks out of each). But figured someone might have clearer answers at this point.

1 Like

One of my girlfriends just told me that the Dexcom rep at her daughter’s T1D camp told her that the G6 sensors should be reprogrammed by the end of the year to go to 14 days instead of 10 days.

Just passing it along…

4 Likes

Hi everyone, Thank you for all the great info! I just received the new G6 sensor two weeks ago. I have been using the receiver since my phone ( Samsung Galaxy S4) is incompatible with the G6 app. I was prompted by the 10 day hard stop but unsuccessful in overriding it before I had a chance to read your posts. I was unable to replace the sensor due to 2 malfunctioning applicators which would not disengage that Dexcom said was an ongoing issue with the new sensor. I can’t wait to try to override the hard stop when I receive the replacement sensors.

Since I have an incompatible phone (Samsung Galaxy S4), what G6 app would you recommend for my current Android phone and where can I download it safely?

New to this site and love it! Thanks

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Has anyone successfully restarted the Dexcom G6 transmitter beyond the 112 hard stop? I have another week left on my transmitter. I use the receiver only and have an old Android Galaxy S4. Thanks for your advice and support.

1 Like

@docslotnick, @thomas, do you have any thoughts?

I believe that the only way to extend transmitter life using Android is to use the app xdrip+. It works because it limits communication to transmitter>>android but not the other way.

The only way I’ve heard to otherwise do this is with an iPhone and Mac computer. Instructions here:

I haven’t started using the G6 yet, but with the G5 I’ve gotten about 190 days.

2 Likes

G6 users:

Is @kdisimone’s excellent article, posted by @ClaudnDaye, still representing all the conventional wisdom on restarting G6 sensors?

What method do you actually use and why?

@Michel You all know I use xDrip+. One of the perks is transmitter life until the battery is really dead.

What do you have to do to restart the transmitter? Well, I just happened to look at my transmitter days today and I noticed it was at 113. I didn’t do anything to have it restart.

1 Like

I’ve used the article’s second option with the iPhone successfully 2 or 3 times. I had some trouble with it yesterday, but was experimenting a little so it may have been user error. I can let you know if it works again in 9 days :slight_smile:

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I did the iPhone restart method again a few days ago and it worked like a charm!

2 Likes

I’ve tested the first method once so far by putting the t:slim in a faraday bag. When I took my pump out of the bag after 2 hours it started the 2-hour warmup on my phone… so I did have to wait 2 hours without readings, but I also successfully restarted the G6 sensor. I’ll probably leave the pump in the bag a little longer next time to see what happens.

3 Likes

HELP! I am an Android user. I extend my sensors via the SeeMyCGM instructions. (I use a Faraday bag and just run the reset on my receiver every Sunday night so it is reset Monday morning a few minutes after I take the receiver out of the bag. Then, the receiver gets shut off and stays in the Faraday bag until the following Sunday night.)

What I have NOT been able to do is find a way to reset the transmitter counter. The G6 app has been EXTREMELY accurate but Xdrip has not so I just want to reset the counter to be able to have a “spare” transmitter in case something goes wrong, which seems to always happen on my 2nd transmitter. I have an ipad but no other apple devices. Does anybody know of where I can get instructions on how to reset the counter, maybe with just an ipad?
Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Okay, this is kinda weird, providing a solution to my own post, but my son is going to bring over an old iPhone that he replaced and I should be able to use that along with my ipad. (Anybody see anything wrong with that?)

By the way, I am happy to help anybody with the sensor restart. It turns out that is easy, flawless, schedulable and you lose no readings in the process. I do recommend calibrating beyond a couple of weeks, though, as the sensor does drift. It realigns after calibration, though.

3 Likes

You are way ahead of me, @chucklejeff. I just got my G6 a little over a week ago and just figured out how to see when it will expire. :grin: However, I hope to be doing all of this soon enough and will bookmark this for when I’m ready. I could use all the help I can get. :grin:

1 Like

@chucklejeff If you are averse to xDrip+ because of any real or perceived accuracy issues, just run the xDrip+ collector in “native” mode. This takes the exact same calibration data right from the transmitter that a Dexcom receiver gets. So it cannot give anything but identical results.

2 Likes

I also tried the 2nd option, and it worked for me too. :slight_smile: I think the G6 is absolutely wonderful. I’ve only used it for a little over a week, and it’s been more accurate than the G5. I don’t really understand how it works because I’ve never once had to calibrate it. My understanding of the G5 is that it tracked changes in interstitial fluid but didn’t ever actually test my bg. Since I never calibrated the G6, it must work differently. Does anyone know how it works???

After the first day it’s been within 10 mg/dl every time I’ve tested. It seems to follow my bg more closely than the G5 did when I’m rising or falling too.

It’s lasted the full 10 days, and I just restarted it. I’m hoping it will stick for another 3 days. I considered 2 weeks to be a success with my G5 sensors. I’ve been surprised it has stuck on as well as it has because I’ve read other’s reports that it didn’t stick as well.

I really, really love the G6. My only complaint is that the inserter is huge. I recently flew across the country for a few days, and I managed to stash two sensors in my carry-on luggage along with everything else I’d need (no need to check luggage), so I probably shouldn’t complain too much about the size.

I just thought I’d post in case anyone was considering switching to the G6. All the negative reviews I’ve read made me hesitant to switch, but I’m really glad I did. It’s working wonders for me so far.

I suppose I’m only on my first sensor (after first restart), so we’ll see if I start to experience any problems with the next few.

5 Likes

I found a new easier way of extending the G6 sensor. I do it all on my iPhone. I use my Tslim X2 as my other receiver and it just follows along. No need to do anything with it.

Wait until your sensor expires.

-Start session and choose NO CODE

-Set timer for 15 minutes and let session ‘warm up’ for the 15 minutes.

-Stop session

-Start session WITH the code of the current sensor you’re wearing.

-That’s it! It will take 2 hours to do its thing! You will see where the session expiration date resets in 10 days after the 2 hours.

2 Likes

It works using a similar technology to the G5, they have just improved it a bit. They could have gone from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 system, i.e. measuring hydrogen peroxide, to directly scavenging the electrons from the FAD centers in the enzyme.

All that is required to not have to calibrate is to have a system that is linear through the entire human physiologic range, and they have probably found a coating that does a better job at keeping the linearity and improves the response.

4 Likes