Recommend don't try to rebuild LOOP with new MacOS Monterey 12.3 just yet

I made a mistake. I updated the Mac to Monterey 12.3, updated xcode, and tried building LOOP master. It looked like the build succeeded and the software installed on the iPhone, but LOOP crashes immediately. Updating the iPhone to the current release of iOS didn’t help.

So I recommend waiting a while before building LOOP, because it seems that there’s something that the developers will need to fix.

6 Likes

I read today that Loop folks are looking into the most recent version of Xcode as a possible issue!

4 Likes

As well as the latest iOS phone version…15.8 I think?

2 Likes

How often do you guys rebuild it?

Not sure about everyone else, but once I get it working with a version I am happy with, and all the customization’s I want are in there, I try to wait until something major gets changed or added or updated before I want to try going through all of that again.

If everything is going well, I would be happy to wait a year before redoing Loop (after my dev license expiration kills the app).

I am currently happy with what is on my phone. Hopefully I can leave it there for a while, and all of these things will get worked out.

I am never in a hurry with anything diabetes related. Like if I see there is a new version of Dexcom, all I do is wait for everyone else to do it first. :grinning:

Sorry, I know that is not helpful for your question. I don’t have anything useful to add. I am just always the last one in the pool. Last in, last out. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

For security, I like to update iOS reasonably soon after Apple releases an update. So that means rebuilding LOOP first using the newest version of xcode, to ensure code compatibility with the new iOS release. It’s true that sometimes it works to update iOS and the previous version of LOOP just continues working, but sometimes there’s an incompatibility. And there were rumors that the newest iOS would have an incompatibility.

What went wrong for me is that the build process succeeded, replacing the working instance of LOOP, but the new instance is broken. On loop.zulipchat they say that the current dev branch will build and work (given enough arcane steps to clean up and refresh things in the xcode workspace) but loop-master won’t. It sounds like they are fixing loop-master really soon to make a release that works with the newest xcode.

4 Likes

Ya, makes sense. I wasn’t questioning your decision to rebuild it, I was just wondering.

I always keep old stuff as long as it works. I just recently got a new phone. Like a few months ago. My iPhone 5 finally gave out.

Yep, I was using a 5 just a few months ago. :joy:

2 Likes

I see they’ve just released a “hotfix” of loop-master, v2.2.8 which should solve the problem.

3 Likes

No joy. v2.2.8 fails in the exact same way for me.

edit: I see on loop.zulipchat that they have reproduced the error with 2.2.8 and are actively working on it.

1 Like

I rebuild only when I have too. If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it. :smiley:

In fact, the last iPhone version I downloaded onto Liam’s phone was 13.7. :D. Yes, I realize patches are important for security vulnerabilities and such but the version he has does the trick and I don’t want to chance any upgrade breaking something and taking my time to fix it.

3 Likes

I would prefer to stretch the rebuild timeline to once a year. Unless, like Eric mentioned, there are new features or fixes that I want or need to implement (or if I have a new device to use).

2 Likes