Pizza without the dosing pain

If tomatos are in season I just peel and chop them and sautee them with a little olive oil, water and spices til they fall to mush (we’re in the South so lots of tomato’s). Sometimes we use pesto in place of red sauce base which we make in big batches using spinach or kale (or basil in summer) and freeze in little containers. But if I buy jarred I just look for lowest sugar grams on label…whole foods has a store brand pizza sauce and marina sauce that are cheap and decent if you’re not going for foodie level.

1 Like

Ummm, I volunteer to taste test the next recipe you try out. :wink: That looks delicious!

3 Likes

Same here. Nothing like the taste of fresh! But sometimes it would be nice to be able to take a shortcut :slight_smile:

Tomatoes are yucky but i love a good pesto pizza!! Or white pizza. But pesto is my preference but harder to find if you aren’t cooking it yourself.I might eat @Michel’s pizza even with those tomatoes…

1 Like

@CarolynA, do you like caramelized onions? If so, pissaladiere is a great option! @beacher and I were talking about it earlier. My recipe for it is same as pizza, except that for sauce and toppings, for a 12" pizza, you use:

• Sauce is 2 tblspoons of olive oil, mixed w juice of 1/2 lemon, to which you add 4 anchovies very finely chopped, salt, pepper, and, if you wish, a 1/4 teaspoon of ground fennel seeds. You spread the whole thing over the dough

• 2 lbs of raw onions, caramelized at lowish temperature (so that they are sweet but remain light, not dark)

• 20 oil cured olives, pitted, cut in halves or thirds

• If you like anchovies, you add 4 anchovies spread in length like the spokes of a wheel

This is probably my favorite “pizza” but my kids don’t like it much, they like the regular pizza version better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A variation I like is to brush the dough with Dijon, then top with onions caramelized with fennel seeds. Popular at parties and picnics and with people who say they don’t like olives or anchovies although fact is they don’t know any better.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/onion-tart-with-mustard-and-fennel-241734

2 Likes

Ok, you got me, I will be trying this, sounds delicious! Glad the pizza dough worked out. We love recipes that take 5 minutes to make.

1 Like

Rose neurotoxin? Why not just drink Ros’e wine?

@Michel sounds delicious… might prefer generous chunks of steak to anchovies but id still eat it. I printed out the recipe to try when I have time.

1 Like

It was a reference to a thread at TUD. Probably unwise of me, since not everybody is on both sites. Should I change it?

I see no reason to change it. I must admit I didn’t understand it until you pointed me to TUD, but there is nothing wrong with it, perhaps you could put a pointer in your message so people aren’t confused.

1 Like

We tried @Chris’s pizza dough recipe again. This time we did not leave it too long in the oven:

In the spirit of quick recipes, we radically shortened the homemade tomato sauce recipe. We used 4 large tomatoes, dunked them quickly in boiling water to peel them, then tossed them in hot oil on a hot burner with garlic, oregano and salt, and took them away 5 minutes later. Then we used the same toppings as before. we found the pizza delicious: the dough was awesome!

My son thought the longer-processed tomato sauce (from the first time) was better (but I didn’t: I found the fresher taste of the 5-minute tomato sauce wonderful). Right now, the longest lead-time item for this pizza is the caramelized onion (which also contribute a lot of carbs). I am considering how to shorten it.

As a note, we needed to use 120% of regular carb pre-bolus for this pizza, and there was no late spike or extended bolus necessary.

4 Likes

Looks great! Maybe we will come for dinner once you get to Spain!

2 Likes

Is that based on the onion’s natural carb value, or are you adding sugar or balsamic vinegar to hasten the caramelizing?
I’ve never included onions in my carb counts, but after looking it up I was surprised how much they contain, so I guess I should start.

2 Likes

We use a bunch of onions in almost anything we make, soups, sauces, etc.

It is often the #1 source of carbs in my recipes.

3 Likes

i love pizza and i’m a grown up (sometimes). i go to the same pizza joint religiously b/c i know that however they prepare their pizza is predictable and consistent. it took me about 1 yr to figure out how to bolus for it, but i did it and it has worked wonderfully ever since. what i tend to do, btw, is have the pizza in the late afternoon, early dinner time, so that i dont go to bed with a lot of IOB.

at this “restaurant” i found that i like 2 large slices of regular pizza. not thick crust, but none of that thin crust either. just regular. not a ton of tomato sauce, not a ton of cheese.( this is the way that I like it and not necessarily the way others do). so for this formula i came up with, i did everything consistantly until it worked out just fine. and i get a flat line throughout.

my formula is as follows: 35/65 % dual bolus split over 2.5 hours, accounting for 95 gms of carbs. also, i pat off the extra oil on the top of each slice with a paper napkin before shoving it into my mouth. it took about a year to figure this out, but i am a persistant chic and when i really want something i refuse to give up. everything that doesnt “work out” i chalk up to a learning experience.
just my 2 cents
DM

4 Likes

So I experimented with grain free (and so coincidentally low carb) pizza crusts this past week. I’ll have to post the recipes later (just almond flour, oil/butter, egg, baking powder, and salt), but it was great dosing-wise - went from 80s to just above 100 with both recipes I tried.

2 Likes

You gotta post the recipe! How did it taste, @Pianoplayer7008?

The first recipe I tried was:

1c almond flour
1 egg
1 T coconut oil
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt

Mixed all ingredients to form a dough, roll it out about 1/4” thick between two sheets of parchment paper, then bake @350 until golden/browning at edges. Add desired toppings and bake until done.

It was a nice decently thick crust, but it was a little on the dry side. I’m going to try either adding another egg or a little more oil next time. I would say this makes the equivalent of a small size pizza, with only 17 carbs for the whole crust.

My family had pizza again a few days later, and I didn’t want to do the rolling out, etc thing again, so I used a microwave mug biscuit recipe, but made it in a bowl for a flatter, thinner “crust.” I use a Fiestaware bowl that is I think 7” in diameter?

3T almond flour
1T butter or butter substitute
1 egg
1/2 t baking powder

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in the microwave, then mix in remaining ingredients. Microwave 60 seconds or until cooked through. Lay on parchment paper on a pan in the oven and bake until starting to brown. Add toppings and bake until done.

This one was more spongy (because of the egg/flour ratio), but still tasted good and was more moist than the first. It made a personal size pizza with only 4 carbs!