Bolusing for Pizza and other low GI Foods - in young kids (For LOOP Users)

So, I have tried many methods over the years with Liam in bolusing for those low glycemic foods (slow digesting) such as Pizzas and pastas, which he loves…and eats a LOT of. :slight_smile: Posting this in case other parents reading have tried other methods and have had no luck in preventing the highs later.

So, in our case (I realize this is just one use-case), Liam takes FOREVER to eat…literally, he’ll take an hour to eat 2 or 3 slices of pizza. And if you bolus up front for this, he’ll go low eventually. If you wait too long to enter the insulin, he’ll go high later. So we found a happy medium that seems to work really well for Liam…and it’s really super easy. Now…this is for LOOP USERS (we specifically use the FreeAPS / Microbolus branch of Omniloop)…if you don’t use loop, this method probably won’t work.

So, instead of bolusing him AT ALL for the pizza whether before, during or after, all he does now is eats his pizza and AFTER he’s finished WITH EACH SLICE, he enters the carbs into loop and does NOT bolus for the slice…each piece he finishes, he enters another 25 pizza carbs into loop WITHOUT any bolus. In Liam’s case, this results in most BGs never going above 180 either during or post-prandial. As long as he’s entered the carbs for each slice after he’s finished it, loop will immediately begin giving him insulin in smaller doses over a longer period of time.

I’ve tested this method now for about a month and 90% of the time he never crosses above 180 and he doesn’t go low…sometimes I do have to give a couple glucose tabs on the way back down, but never any drastic drops from this method.

Anway, wanted to share it in case other parents of kid loop users are looking for alternative methods to bolus / deal with those low GI foods and the inherent highs that they can produce if not dealt with sufficiently.

Cheers and happy 4th everyone!

6 Likes

How does Loop handle that, when you enter carbs and don’t bolus? Does it do an automatic bolus for the carbs? Like an extended bolus?

1 Like

It (FreeAPS) gives a portion of the total bolus amount every 5 min. How much (the %) is user defined.

Many meals we never bolus directly for. We only enter carb info and let loop bolus incrementally, in small amounts.

2 Likes

So a little bit like doing extended on the PDM, where you pick a percentage and a time period?

1 Like

Not perfectly relevant…but for my morning approach I’ve been taking 4 times the regular basal for a period of 30 minutes right when I wake up and 2 units of bolus followed by another 1 unit of bolus 30 minutes later along with some protein and hydration

Right when the number starts to dive I know that I am in good shape for breakfast and coffee.

4 Likes

Maybe. I don’t remember that far back. Lol.

Here’s a pic of what today’s pizza looked like. He forgot to enter the second piece so entered both the second piece and third piece after the third piece had been eaten.

And here is what loop did:

And here are today’s BGs

4 Likes