Peanut butter

I’m looking for some foods that will act similar to peanut butter. My daughter has T1D and is switching schools and, despite advertising that they are “nut aware,” they are operating as “nut free.”

My daughter always has a peanut butter sandwich or peanut butter with apples before heading into high energy activities, such as gym class. I’m having trouble finding a new go-to food that is nut free and will act like peanut butter. They eat lunch at 11:30, have recess and most specials including gym in the afternoon, and there’s not afternoon snack before dismissal at 3. In addition, the morning school-provided snacks are incredibly high-sugar, high-carb, so there isn’t much to build on by lunchtime. I try packing snacks, but she wants to eat what her friends are eating.

I’ve tried packing cheese sandwiches, but she’s going low after gym just a couple hours later. She’s not an adventurous eater, but not too picky either. Any peanut-butter-profile suggestions would be appreciated!

2 Likes

Is Almond Butter allowed? I have recently broken up with a years long relationship with Peanut Butter, all because I discovered Almond Butter. My wife prefers Sunflower Butter but it’s disgusting to me.

1 Like

My son eats sun butter, and sunflowers are technically not nuts. I’m not sure whether it’s going to impact blood sugar in the same way but it might be worth a shot?

2 Likes

What about string cheese or spreadable cheese with her apple slices?

ETA: Here’s some alternatives to consider.

1 Like

Hello! I’m sorry you have to revise your plan, but it sounds like a tasty process. :smile:

I really like Sunflower Seed Butter. Sorry to see the no vote above, but they make one with honey that’s delicious to me. Specifically the brand listed below.

Ingredients: Organic roasted sunflower seeds, organic sunflower oil, organic clover honey, sea salt

Nutrition Facts: Serv. Size 2 tbsp (32g). Amount per serving: Calories 190, Total Carb 8g (3%)

Versus the same company’s peanut butter:
Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts, Sea Salt

Nutrition Facts: Serv. Size 2 tbsp (32g). Amount per serving: Calories 190, Total Carb 7g (2%)

(I edited down the nutrition facts for space.)

I’m not sure if sun butter would do the same thing from a staying perspective…but you can try?

Also I am not sure where you’re located but a few of my grocery stores as well as Whole Foods sell those small packs of individual nut butters which might be a good way to test out a couple days worth and not commit to a giant jug of something your daughter hates?

Keep us posted on what you find!

3 Likes

I like sunbutter, but I find it more liquid-y than peanut butter, so tend to prefer peanut butter when I can use it. However, the addition of honey sounds DELICIOUS and I wonder if it would also make it more viscous? This is something I will definitely try. I often work in schools where I need to be nut-free and I also like to avoid nuts while flying, so sunbutter + honey could be a great resource. I love that the one you linked to comes in little travel packets! Those are super handy when travelling. Hopefully they ship to Canada. :slight_smile:

I concur with almond butter! It can be really pricey, but if you have a local grocery store that grinds it in-house you may be able to find a good deal.

Also at diabetes camp they have this weird stuff called “soy butter” – I have no idea how or what it’s made of but it is very similar tasting to peanut butter. No idea if it’s healthy though.

If a school is nut-free, though, that means they are free of all tree nuts and peanuts.

@TiaG, I’ve never tried soy butter, but I’ve heard of it. Maybe I’ll have to give it a try if it has a taste/consistency similar to peanut butter. All the seed butters (including the one @TravelingOn linked to) have a more runny consistency that I don’t like. I’d be super happy if I could find a nut-free something with thick consistency that I could use when I work in schools and travel.

Thanks all! I’ll look into soy butter - sounds interesting! Sun butter just doesn’t have the same impact at peanut butter (and my daughter doesn’t like it). Almond butter nutrition looks close, but I’ll have to see if it’s banned also. Our substitute doesn’t have to be a “butter”, just something that will be yummy and sustain her through the afternoon. I’ll give some of these ideas a try!

1 Like