Pandamania 10k Training Log

that’s about right, roughly 12 hours.

i will add daily carb totals to the report starting today. they fit in nicely next to the other totals in the rollup.

starting gun is 8:00am. i can purposely spoof that with the remaining long runs to dial in a nutrition plan! i will be staying with my parents the night before the race, who as newly minted d-parents (albeit of a fully launched adult), are very cutely bending over backwards trying to be helpful, so i have pretty total control over the night before and morning of with family support to boot (a rarity for me!)

it is actually extremely adorable, my dad even bought himself a little glucometer to “understand better what i do every day”. :heart:

5 Likes

It’s great to get the fam support! :heart_eyes:

What IC are you using in the morning?

1 Like

IC… i am sorry, i don’t know what that means. i looked but haven’t been able to pin down what that stands for, i’m sorry. i looked for a glossary or something but couldn’t find. insulin c-something i guess…? i don’t know, i am really sorry.

2 Likes

Oops, sorry!

Yes, acronyms are pretty ridiculous.
lol

I truly hate them! Not kidding. It makes things much harder to understand. Especially when they are done in txt.

I will get a good description for you and post it here.
brb!

2 Likes

Sorry about that. :arrow_up: Just joking a bit. :joy:

Acronyms are truly ridiculous.

IC stands for Insulin-to-Carb ratio. It is the amount of insulin you take for a particular amount of carbs.

So in general, if someone said their IC was 10, that is just shorthand for saying 1:10, which means they take 1 unit for every 10 grams of carbs.

The “insulin” part of IC is always 1 unit. So the IC is 1 unit of insulin for X amount of carbs.

An IC of 20 means, 1 unit covers 20 grams of carbs.

And your IC can be different for different times of the day.

With me on all of this? Following?

2 Likes

copy! sorry, prior to deciding on law school i was in first response and “IC” means “incident commander” in that universe but i knew that couldn’t be right :wink::wink::sweat_smile: i don’t actually know but there’s another thing on my get-diabetes-house-in-order checklist! standby for calculation on that, i will start doing that math.

literally cannot believe my providers never mentioned any of this. thank goodness for all of you here!!!

4 Likes

How do you currently decide how much insulin to take for a meal?

I am trying to get an idea of your pre-race dosing.

By the way, I don’t actually use an IC myself, I use The Force.

2 Likes

well 3 units sort of puts me through the floor unless i eat what to me feels like a lot in one sitting, and 1 unit doesn’t always seem to be enough for a meal cause i go too high unless i started kinda low. so i mean i hope this isn’t dumb but i look at where i’m at and what’s on the menu and guess 1 unit or 2. i try to make smart food choices, and i correct with more food or insulin if i was wrong. corrections are usually pretty reasonable if it’s 1 or 2 units at a time, food, check glucose, and whichever repeat prior steps if/as needed. i really haven’t been very precise about this, and currently full units are all i have. i am smaller than the average adult and don’t show any signs of insulin resistance, so i’m working in a pretty narrow range. this is also where i feel like the possibility of random residual function may be making things more challenging at this stage because it does sometimes feel unpredictable… but i will have more insight once i am calculating it, at least for calibration purposes.

2 Likes

What you are doing is fine. You look at where you are, which way you are going, what you are eating, etc. All of that is good stuff.

Sounds like you are already using “The Force”!

I don’t need a ratio for you, other than trying to help dial-in your pre-race strategy.

I’d like you to have about 30 grams of complex carbs on that morning. Not things like juice or fruit. Things like brown rice. A bagel. Wheat toast. Stuff like that.

So the reason I asked about IC is just to get an idea of what you will need.

Remind me again what you are using to inject. A pen, right? Which type?
(Sorry, you probably already told me, but I don’t have room in my brain to keep everything. :man_shrugging: )

Tomorrow you will have 1/2 unit options. Or actually, even smaller than that with the dilution!

Go ahead and grab some sterile vials from Amazon. The smaller size vials will be easier to work with. Just put “sterile vial” in the search and get a box of them.

Anything less than 10ml would be ideal.

Once you have all your stuff and the sterile vials, we will go through the smaller dosing options and how to do that.

2 Likes

NovoLog FlexPen and Lantus SoloStar

i’ll get sterile vials: 5ml works it sounds like. shall i also ask my doc to add a separate Rx for filled vials, so i have insulin vials to start from and sterile vials to dilute in? my appointment is on the 11th so i can make requests then.

i can do that food wise. i usually do something like brown rice with an egg or a bit of smoked fish, with some kimchi (i make my own!) if i’m eating before a hard push, i think that would work 2-3 hours in advance?

and yay then! but i must confess i wasn’t trying to rely on “the force” so much as nobody told me that was a thing i should track and calculate :rofl: lucky accident i guess!

3 Likes

Yes yes yes!!

You can eat whatever you want… except on race day. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, yes kimchi is good. Probiotics and all of that. But it does nothing for you before a race.

The 2 hours before a race, all you need is carbs. That is the thing that provides benefit.

Fat gets in the way. It slows carb absorption and creates unknowns.

There can be some benefit to protein before workouts, but for endurance events it’s really most useful after.

Your meal does not need to be tasty or enjoyable, it should just be focused on slowly metabolizing carbs. There can be small amounts of protein and fat, but pick something that is primarily carb-centric.

And this is not 100% necessary for a 10k, but just thinking down the line for you.

4 Likes

ok! i will get that Rx next week. and i am basically a believer in practice like you play, so i will practice for the future i want. :+1: (but i will cook my rice with some fat free chicken broth and herbs mixed in the water for flavor then! that shouldn’t affect anything digestion wise.)

2 Likes

Run #4: 2 Mile Mosey: 18 Days to Go

Sleep Hours: 5

6:00: Wild Wednesday! BG: 82, black coffee

9:00: 2 Mile Mosey run, start BG: 115, End BG: 157

9:30: BG 175 and rising, NovoLog 2u

10:00: BG 187 and rising, NovoLog 2u

10:30 BG 203 and level, NovoLog 2u

11:15 BG cratering

11:30: BG 108 and heading down: dilute juice (7g), 1 regular PB PerfectBar, 2 whole wheat mini waffles with strawberries and sugar free whipped cream

12:30: BG 132 and leveling

1:00: BG 140, CanineConstitutional = 2 miles easy sniff walk in the woods

1:45: BG 116 and level

3:00: argh here we go, it’s the daily panda drop! BG 68 and heading through the floor, it’s juicebox time

6:00: and we’re back, BG 105, NovoLog 2u

6:30: shrimp, corn, and roasted pepper chowder with whole grain crackers

7:00: BG 134

8:00: BG 104, 12u Lantus, 1u NovoLog, 1 slice wheat toast with a few chopped berries on top and some butter+sugar free jam

11:00: BG 108, time to go get ready to do it all again!

DAILY TOTALS: 18u Lantus, 9u NovoLog (more went to correcting that unexplained high than to food today), Carbs: (to post 3/7 onwards), 2 Mile Mosey run, CanineConstitutional 2 miles easy

Run #4 03/06/2024
Distance: 2.03
Song of the Day: “House on Fire”, Mimi Webb
Run Time: 22:31
RPE: ~4/10
Surface: Treadmill
Shoe: Hoka Clifton 9
Start Time: 9:00am PST
End Time: 9:22am PST
Start BG: 115
End BG: 157

Notes: sugar went up more than yesterday (despite easier workout) but did not break range. not sure why yesterday stayed so much flatter with similar inputs.

4 Likes

Are the BG numbers CGM or meter?

When I see this, it makes me think maybe you are doing 1 check right before. Is that right?

It is helpful to check multiple times leading up to your run. That gives you an idea of which way you are going and how quickly. It could be a flat 115, a rising 115, a falling 115, a plummeting 155, etc.

In this case, I would guess that it was a rising 115.

And yes, you can get BG trend from the CGM too. But a good meter will be more current with your numbers.

2 Likes

you guess correctly, though i do follow trends on my cgm. i mostly rely on cgm because i hate finger sticks, so i usually do those as little as i can to be honest. :grimacing: but so noted: always iterating, i can absolutely change that. i also just finally got a better meter. (i say “finally”, but truthfully i have only been at this a pretty short time, i’m still catching up with gear, lingo, best practices etc.) the one i had was from my EMT jump kit so it wasn’t fussed with say, record keeping features since every patient is a one off. so i had a pretty basic meter and was just keeping track manually. now i have a better meter that should help (accuchek is what i just got, came yesterday, i am getting orientated on the my sugr app as we speak).

every dang day is different :expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::rofl: full info and details to come with today’s report, but you can see today’s run went up then took a hard u-turn and leveled off in the 90s (and yes it really is in the 90s, confirmed).

2 Likes

Is that the one I sent you? :grinning:

If not, then I can say - you are about to get an even better meter! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

when i realized the quality of meter matters, i actually got the accuchek to keep in my car so i don’t ever get stranded without a good meter. i decided it makes sense to basically keep a full testing kit and spare pen needles, glucose tablets etc (everything except the actual insulin basically) in my glove box just in case, especially because being stuck for hours unexpectedly can happen here semi-often due to avalanches or wildfires, or even just an accident that totally closes down our 2 lane highway until it’s cleared. :sweat_smile::woman_shrugging:t2: i always have food and water in there, but realized daya b needs her stuff too now.

3 Likes

You are rising up before every run. Betting that’s not the run.

We need to fix that.

Maybe try taking your Lantus a little later at night. Or maybe a “slice” or 2 more Lantus in the evening.

2 Likes

roger on all that!

2 Likes

@panda, one other thing.

Friday is your rest day. Treat it like a run day, do everything the same. Except don’t run.

See if your BG does the same thing at the same time.

So hold off on the Lantus change until we can confirm you have a rising trend at that time. If we identify that it’s doing that without running, then we should make a change.

If you do a hard run, you can see a BG spike. But I can’t imagine you had a BG spike from an easy 2 mile jog Wednesday! That has to be unrelated to the run. (Unless you get nervous from running. In which case, that might be causing a spike too. :man_shrugging: )

Sorry, is this too much info? I might be throwing too much your way.

5 Likes