Pandamania 10k Training Log

Okay @panda, here is an FUD thread on making diluted vials.
(You are on your own with the :mushroom:'s though! :joy: )

Please note that this thread was written for somebody who was making diluted insulin for an infant. As such, these directions are seriously over-the-top about being careful! You can tell if your BG is dropping, but a little baby can’t. That’s why these directions are written like this. But overall, these instructions are very detailed, and should get you through the process.

Also, the instructions were written for using an insulin vial. But for you, instead of using an insulin vial which you don’t have yet, you can actually use your pen to put the insulin into the mixing (diluted) vial. Other than that, it’s all the same instructions.

The main thing to be aware of, since you may not have experience with vials, is that you need to remove air. Whatever you put into the vial, you gotta take out that same volume of air.

And vice versa. If you are taking 1 unit of diluted insulin out, you put 1 unit of air into the vial.
(Not sure if that is common-sense, or known by people who have not used vials. Just wanted to mention it, just in case.)

And before we get to the actual mixing instructions, let me mention that I think a 20% diluted vial would be very useful for you.

Since you now have the 1/2 unit syringes, you can use a 20% diluted vial and have the ability to dose almost anything you want!

Using the 20% vial, look at all the good things you can get!

• 1/2 unit from your syringe gives = 0.10 units of actual insulin
  • 1 unit from your syringe gives = 0.20 units of actual insulin
  • 1 1/2 units from your syringe gives = 0.30 units of actual insulin
  • etc., etc., etc…

I think 20% is a great setup for you. :+1:

Anyway, here it is…

4 Likes