Pancreatic Insufficiency AKA The hits just keep on rolling

@SobeiT Yes, I’m still using Trio version 0.2.0 (latest dev version). I had tried iAPS 2.3.3 and haven’t noticed any great difference between the two (that makes sense, one came from the other). I have built, but not tested, iAPS v.4.6 (I think they’re up to 4.8) and Loop 3.4. My point isn’t to chase after the latest/greatest willy/nilly, but to try what might be an improvement. I have the time, the interest, the need…and I’m retired. It isn’t something everyone can or should do.

Like you, I have Dynamic ISF and CR turned on with Adjustment Factor of .3; Sigmoid is on with Adjustment Factor of .3 as well; Max SMB and UAM SMB are set to 90. My ISF and CR vary extensively meal-to-meal and day-to-day. I tried using the Fat/Protein bolus compensation built-in to both iAPS and Trio. I thought I noticed a difference in control initially, but with my EPI meds/BG rollercoaster, I’ve simplified and gone back to carb counting only; it seems to have helped today (8/13/24) along with much smaller carb meals. Hopefully it helps long term; the last two days have been a real mental well-being challenge; regaining reasonable control and peace of mind is my priority.

All of this said, thanks for your thoughts on ISG & CR; if what I’ve done holds up, I’ll begin some further changes. My recommendation coming back to you is don’t do what I do, but what works for you. To some that will sound like a cop-out and that’s not my intent. Its just that with the number of iAPS/Trio on/off settings, adjustments, and T1’s individual nature, the best you can do is read the available documents, Discord channels and FB pages; start with recommended settings. Adjust & watch impacts for a couple days; adjusting that or another setting & test again. It takes time and effort. Keep a written record of changes/impacts, don’t rely on memory. Ensure you know what you’re changing, why, and whether it works. Safety first!

If you have other pointer’s, please advise…sharing info is what this forum does best!

2 Likes

Sure! Here’s a response you can use for that thread:

Thanks for sharing the detailed update! It sounds like you’ve got a solid understanding of how to manage the EPI, especially with the enzyme supplements. It’s great to hear that you’re already ahead of the curve with the right questions for your NP—credit to @Josie for that reference!

Managing the pills with every meal and snack will take some adjusting, but it seems like you’re well-prepared. I’ve heard that it can be a bit of trial and error to figure out the right dosage for different types of meals, so don’t hesitate to ask your healthcare team if you need any tweaks along the way.

As for traveling, yeah, planning ahead will definitely be key, but it sounds like you’ve got the organization skills to handle it!

If anyone else has tips or experiences, I’m sure they’d be helpful here too. Best of luck with the new routine—sounds like you’re on top of things!

3 Likes

First, I’d like to say thank-you to all for the suggestions on how to handle the EPI diagnosis and impacts to my BG. I’d particularly like to thank the person that offered me direct contact to help me thru the mental struggle of finding a path to work with it; I was really struggling to cope with my seeming loss of any control. Thanks, big time for the offer and discussion!

Although its only been a couple semi normal days now, it seems I’ve reached equanimity with the impacts of my T1 and EPI by drastically increasing my ICR strength, decreasing from two to one of the enzyme replacment pills per meal, decreasing meal size and carb load of each. I may still have to adjust my afternoon/evening ICRs to call them “dialed in.” My basal has remained the same throughout, and it makes sense given the enzyme’s are flushed out of the system either by use or elimination (that’s right, the “BIG” elimination!). I’m back to being able to eat wheat/gluten products (no Celiac symptoms), almost no intestinal gas pains, significantly normalized “poops.” Also, I’m glad to report, the NP that dx’d/prescribed was very accepting of my advice on warning future T1s of the potential impacts and how to address them so others she see’s aren’t as un-prepared as I was; further, she was very grateful for the references to Dan Lewis’ research that @Josie provided.

Anyway, it’s been an intense two weeks that I hope not to repeat! Thanks for the help that was offered and rendered, I greatly appreciate my fellow FUD readers/writers/friends! And please, monitor yourselves as well; if Dana Lewis is right you’ve got a 1 in 3 chance of joining me on this adventure!

7 Likes

@TomH I don’t do FaceBook but you might find this group helpful.

3 Likes

@CarlosLuis Thanks for the reference!

1 Like