Our Paris Olympics Experience

My wife, Carol, and I ended up seeing 8 events in Paris over 5 days. I had previously bought 4 sets of tickets about 6 months ago, and then we picked up 3 more sets while we were there. One event was free.

Our events:

1. Tuesday afternoon - Soccer - Dominican Republic vs. Uzbekistan at an urban sports venue called Parc Des Princes. They battled to a 1-1 tie and this was pool play so both sides were happy enough …
  2. Wednesday morning - Triathlon on Avenue Montaigne. This was an event on the streets of Paris. As a result we didn’t see much of the event, but we saw a lot of the other spectators. Very festive mood. Lots of security everywhere.
  3. Wednesday evening - Tennis at Roland Garros stadium. This was perhaps our highest visibility event as we got to see Rafael Nadal / Carlos Alcarez lose to a couple of Americans in mens doubles. Maybe Nadal’s last tournament?? We are tennis fans so it was a very sad moment to see him lose.
    That was followed by a marathon match between Donna Vekic of Croatia (who eventually went on to take the silver women’s single) and Marta Kostyuk of Ukraine. This match started out horribly, with Marta going down 4 love in games in the first set, before ending in 3 sets with a tiebreaker than went something like 12 points. Exhausting and riveting - Vekic won after failing to close out 3 match points, and Marta also had a match point. So then all 12,000 fans headed out to get home on the metro at about 1 am. Guess what? The metro is closed that late. Lots of scrambling for ubers and taxis with all the attendant price gouging you might expect. We ended up stumbling down one of the roads leading towards our hotel and lucked into the last bus that took us to Porte Maillot which was where our hotel was located. A memorable night!
  4. Thursday - Beach Volleyball under the Eiffel Tower. This was perhaps the most memorable venue of the olympics - a temporary stadium erected on the Champs De Mars - practically underneath the eiffel tower. It was hot! No shade. I felt especially bad for the egyptian women’s team, that had to wear complete black body coverings, as they played the Spanish women, who were skimpy red bikinis. The spanish won. The Qatari team was very good, but looked Sudanese to me. I had a chance to meet one on the grounds (in this event, the athletes and participants mingled freely - not true in other events), and I asked him if he was originally from Sudan. “No man,” he said, “I’m from Qatar.”
  5. Thursday evening - 3x3 basketball at Place de La Concorde
    3x3 basketball is a new olympic sport - this is only its second olympics. I didn’t really know the rules and evidently neither did the US team - who let the Slovakians score 21 points (which ends the game) and walk triumphantly off the court. I was going: “what’s happened - there are still 22 seconds to play.” It’s timed but it’s also first team to 21. Now I know. Also the Canadian women’s team featured a set of identical twins. They ended up in 4th place. During the 3x3 basketball there was an enormous downpour, and the basketball arena is under a sort of circus tent - but there are lots of people who are not protected by the tent, and they all came down to shelter from the storm. The games were halted while the storm passed, and a DJ entertained the crowd. French fans love to sing. They especially love to sing the marseillaise (their national anthem - a revolutionary ballad that can become an earworm) - but “Allumer Le Feu” (Light the fire) is a big favorite too. Games resumed and we once more found ourselves late at night looking for a way back to our hotel. This time saved by a taxi.
  6. Friday morning - mixed doubles in Archery - at Les Invalides. Another incredibly beautiful Venue - recalling France’s greatness in Napoleonic times. Archery is pretty boring as a spectator sport. Personally, I believe they need to change the scoring system, as these archers are all so good that it is not uncommon to have 4 shots be four bullseyes. So if you miss the bullseye, that’s it for you. At the same time, the bullseye target is pretty large. Whey not add a smaller target in the middle worth 11 points??
  7. Friday Afternoon - Field Hockey at Les Colombes This was two men’s field hockey matches. Carol and I had never seen field hockey before - it was Ireland vs New Zealand and France (Les Bleus) vs Republic South Africa. Ireland and South Africa won. Les Colombes is a suburb of Paris - about 6 km from Porte Maillot. One of the intentions of the Paris Olympic Committee was having venues out in the Parisian suburbs and this place looked nice but very much more working class than central Paris. Now with all sorts of olympics fans trooping by all the time.
  8. Saturday morning - Badminton at Porte La Chapelle This was the most exciting match we saw - the Korean champion An Se Young (who would go on to win a gold medal) against a long-time rival, the Japanese player Akane Yamaguchi, in the quarterfinals. Who would have thought Badminton could be so exciting-- but it was.

We left Paris on Saturday afternoon, happy but tired. A couple of themes:

• Parisians were so nice and courteous. Highly unusual, but very welcome.
  • So many different ways of getting around. I’m a big fan of the Metro and the commuter rail, the RER. All the sites were accessible.
  • It was hot!
12 Likes

I was wondering why the 3v3 team did not have big-name NBA players. I looked it up.

Apparently there are rules about who is eligible. They don’t explicitly exclude NBA players. But they need to be ranked.

And since NBA players aren’t going to take time off from their NBA schedule (and the big money) to play in the 3v3 tournaments and be ranked, they end up not being eligible.

3 Likes

What an exciting 5 days! You saw some great events. I’ve not followed the Olympics this year and your descriptions tell me I missed out! Thanks so much for sharing! And btw, you take some great vacations!!

5 Likes

Have you heard the adage about the three phases of retirement: go-go, slow-go, and no-go?
We are in the go-go phase!

7 Likes

Haha, great phase !!

3 Likes

I started early, and after college graduation, took trip to Europe to start me off. No regrets at all.

4 Likes

More importantly, did you have time for some great French food and wine?

3 Likes

Since you asked, here’s the food stuff …

We had lunch at 2 michelin 1 star restaurants, both very good and very different. The first, Jacques Faussat, was very small and also uncrowded and rather simple. The dishes I had were strong. The pricing was quite reasonable and there was only one server, Sophia, from Italy, who spoke 5 languages and wore a large black wig. And was both knowledgeable and friendly. My most memorable dish was fresh sardines – which were very strong and fishy and sharp, served with a butter disk – it wasn’t butter – but it had a meltyness to it, that was sweet and soft and provided such a great counterpoint. Strong flavors, not to say I loved the flavors themselves, but memorable.
The second resto was called Substance, also one star, but with much more ambition than Jacques Fasset. The restaurant was hopping with a young crowd, and they were preparing for their Fermeture Annuelle (annual closing) which was happening that night (Friday) – Olympics or weekend or not. Very fancy and beautiful presentation. We both had the basic menu at about 95 euros each, which featured a pork that was a bit too undercooked for Carol – and too gamey. When we told this to the waiter, he replied good-naturedly, ‘yes, it is pork’. I liked it.
And then, with an hour or so prior to our airport trip, we stopped at the Auberge right on the corner of Blvd Malekoff – the street where our hotel was on. Auberge Dab, a classic old style Parisian restaurant, where we were offered the 40 Euro menu. When we protested that it was too much food for us, the waiter said – order one to share. Which is what we did, And it was fabulous in the classic French aurberge way: 6 oysters from Brittany; Kidneys in Mustard Sauce (not a favorite of Carol’s), a trifle for dessert, all delivered with grace and speed by our attentive waiter, who chatted with us about football and the Olympics and other Parisian things. It was a pleasant surprise – we were able to eat outside in great comfort.

8 Likes

As the French say - first you taste with the eyes.

2 Likes

Remerciements tardifs for the great descriptions. That all sounds like money well spent! I agree about the pork. We get used to North American pork, with the fat (and therefore flavour) bred out of it and the pigs idling around, versus fatty, active, foraging French (and Italian and Spanish and German) pigs. Visitors also find the chicken too “chickeny.” :roll_eyes: Personally I am a fan. Also of sardines and kidneys … you are writing about my dream meals. :yum:

4 Likes