Our latest endo visit today

It’s like a meeting with the Big Bad Wolf for all of us, isn’t it?

We had our visit this morning, and I always dread it. It is amazing how what we all get in these visits is almost completely negative feedback. Ours did not miss the pattern. With the peaks we have been seeing and the disorganization of summer, our A1c was up to 5.6% – I was sure it would be higher, and I am not convinced that the number is fully accurate. Of course, the banana split from last Sunday must have contributed a hefty amount :slight_smile:

As for the rest, we heard a handful. The number of lows, of course, was the #1 on the list, which I understand. Later the endo explained to me that we should not live to control his diabetes but let him live his life.

I was angry because that’s exactly what we try to do: let him be UNLIMITED, not only today, but also later in his life. I look at his summer and wonder – what did he not do because of diabetes? He went to multiple sleepaway camps, including one that was hard on CWDs. He spent 2 weeks surfing in a hot and humid country that is h&ll on insulin (Costa Rica). He did any sport he wanted all summer. Whatever he wanted to try and eat, we made it and tried to figure out a way to make it work. So I was angry, but I did not show it.

Instead, I talked about the option of starting Afrezza at our next appointment, as a way to take the edge off peaks and reduce post-peak lows. We left it at that.

FYI - the nurse is a T1. She sang the praises of Tresiba: she told us that she switched 2 months ago and will never go back to either pump or Lantus.

Now I have to find a way to get rid of my temper so that I can enjoy the rest of the day :slight_smile: The #OpenAPS news that @Bradford gave us today is worth celebrating!

[EDIT] Well, this was quite a venting session :frowning:

7 Likes

We all need to vent sometimes Michel. This disease is not for the faint of heart, and if it wasn’t the endo, it would be some idiot relative that just sent you the latest “research” from readers digest. I am glad we are all here to support each other through the big suck that just happens sometimes.

3 Likes

Obviously, I feel venting is a necessary part of processing through things. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m so sorry y’all had such a frustrating visit. Did the endo at least seem amenable to trying Afrezza?

1 Like

Noncommittal at this stage :slight_smile: We did not hear a NO, so I always see the glass half full!

1 Like

When I asked my endo about Afrezza samples, his first response was why, since I have A1Cs in 5 range. I said it would make it easier for me to maintain that, and splurge on foods I had been avoiding. He did agree, and the samples worked well for me.

However it is not covered by my insurance, so I use it, but sparingly. Last refill the price went up quite a bit, even with the discount card.

8 Likes

@MM2, people like you and @docslotnick are such a great source of optimism for our kids :slight_smile:

3 Likes