One lot of Glucagon recalled for loss of potency

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/eli-lilly-and-company-issues-voluntary-nationwide-recall-one-lot-glucagonr-emergency-kit-due-loss

Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY) is voluntarily recalling lot D239382D, Expiration April 2022, of Glucagon Emergency Kit for Low Blood Sugar (Glucagon for Injection, 1 mg per vial; Diluent for Glucagon, 1 mL syringe), to the consumer/user level. Lilly is recalling lot D239382D to the patient level because of a product complaint reporting that the vial of Glucagon was in liquid form instead of the powder form. The firm’s investigation indicates that the liquid in this Glucagon vial could be related to the manufacturing process. The use of the liquid form of this product may fail to treat severe low blood sugar due to loss of potency.

I was notified of this due to having replaced my glucagon stock earlier this year. Apparently there is only one affected lot (D239382D with exp 4/22), the one I have was not included in this lot but worth checking any that you have!

7 Likes

Yep, looks like there is a problem - I have two, one which expired 06/2020 and the recent one which expires 11/2021. I took the vials out of each and shook them; the 2020 is a nice, solid, dry wad of whatever. It rattles around in the vial (maintaining its disk shape which I admit is slightly unexpected). The 2021 is clearly deliquescing; the block does not move and I can see shiny on the surface. The less-than-normally-intelligent people at Lilly clearly let something, maybe water vapour, maybe something more dangerous, into the vials.

My lot number is D162330C. I’m going to move that out of the cabinet to avoid it getting used; I’ll stick with the 2020 until I can get a refill.

4 Likes

We moved on to Baqsimi. So much easier of a process.

2 Likes

How does that work? I mean I would never use glucagon on myself - if I’m able to administer glucagon I can chug a glucose tablet, or a coke. I also know the process required for the glucagon injection is certainly beyond my wife’s ability if she is panicked (which she would be) so I’m looking for something like Baqsimi, but I’d like to know the details of how it is administered to an unresponsive third party.

1 Like

It couldn’t be easier… Just a simple nasal spray. I’ve never had to use one but we get two every 90 days and add it to our stock.

3 Likes

I have 3 in my stock. I now have confidence my wife could actually use in an emergency situation vs the Lilly glucagon kit which I couldn’t imagine trying to use with all the emotions and fear that come in those situations.

4 Likes