Glucagon expiration

Some info on glucagon expiration…

I have tested the old red Lilly glucagon kits. The old ones that you needed to mix.
(They are now made by a different company, but still available as a generic.).

Those never expire (unless the mixing solution in the syringe dries up, which I guess can happen if you waited long enough). But I have used those 10+ years after expiration, and they still work!

Once it is mixed, it lasts about 3 days. It has slightly diminishing strength as the days progress, until it no longer works at all. But you can get a few days out of it, after it is mixed.

But the Gvoke kits…

:smirk:

Those do NOT last!

I have one that is a year past expiration and it barely worked.

I will say in a worst case emergency, yes you might be able to get some benefit from it. But compared to a new one, it is really weak.

I have never used Baqsimi, so I don’t know anything about if that one lasts. Share if you know about that one.

But I did learn in 2nd grade that a word with a “q” has to have a “u” after the “q”. So if the Baq[u]simi people are gonna break rules like that, I am not gonna use it.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I’d love to hear from anyone that has tried an expired Baqsimi as well. The one in my purse expired 4 months ago. I live in an area with low humidity so I figured it might keep a bit longer. Not sure??? I’m a bit too chicken to test it out on myself.

Great info on the Lilly kits! I’ve held onto both of mine.

2 Likes

Your post prompted me to look at the experation date on my basqsimi I have. Exp 2/2022 :fearful:…I will replace. I don’t want to find out it doesn’t work when I need it. Thank You!

5 Likes

Why not blast it and see if it works? Have some insulin ready and take one for the team!

That way you will know for the next one you get. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

If I could control the dosage amount, I would do that. Don’t feel like battling a full dose (if it works).

5 Likes

I agree, a full dose of glucagon does crazy stuff to us!

3 Likes

Love this! I seem to recall being taught the same rule…another exception to the rules!!

3 Likes

I have one old Glucagon kit. I have kept it because I know that it at least lasted a few years past it’s date from people that have said they used it. I figured the powder could cake up at some point. Everything cakes here faster because of the high humidity year round. It’s nice to know it has a chance at lasting longer! Thanks @Eric

But I have really wondered about the Baqsimi. You can’t really tell because it’s opaque. It’s got some kind of ball that shakes so you don’t know what’s in it. I had 3 here that I just tossed, they expired 1-2 years ago and I just got replacements.

And no @Eric I don’t want to test them either! I’ve never taken any glucagon yet and don’t want the experience! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: BTW My Endo told me it causes a headache, another reason to not want to try it!

3 Likes

Send it to me, I’ll test it.
:man_shrugging:

You too, @jim26!

3 Likes

@Eric You supply a wealth of information for us!!! But I did already toss them!

1 Like

Sorry can’t help myself…lol.

3 Likes

I heard that headache thing too. I think from some random podcast. I think the endo said in the same episode that gvoke does not cause one.

Yes!!! Love to hear about this experiment!

1 Like

@Eric , I too like @Marie have expired Baqsimi available if wanted. I have used some in the past that was ~2 years expired with no obvious side effects or loss of efficacy.

4 Likes

More important [but only slightly more], quoting from their unpronounceable web site you should not use it if:

you are allergic to glucagon

Allergies to glucagon are hardly ever reported and are, apparently, extremely serious so it is probably a good idea to get an allergy test before you use it. Here’s the Google synopsis:

According to the FDA, glucagon treatment can cause allergic reactions and hypersensitivity, including anaphylactic shock, generalized rash, hypotension, and breathing difficulties. Other reported symptoms include:

• Hives
  • Periorbital edema
  • Restlessness
  • Anxiety
  • Tremor
  • Sensation of cold
  • Severe air hunger
  • Agitation
  • Combativeness
  • Tachycardia or bradycardia

[For those who don’t understand that was all sarcastic.]

4 Likes

Hilarious!!! I have seen similar, but I think that’s the best one!!!

3 Likes

I’ve always loved that disclaimer “Don’t take X drug if you are allergic to it or it’s components”.

How would I know until I take it unless I’ve had it in the past?

2 Likes

It would suck to be allergic to glucagon if you were non-diabetic!

2 Likes

@jbowler I appreciate the education on glucagon (didn’t realize the impacts of being allergic) but would like to know what the alternatives are? I haven’t looked them up and may do so. However, it there aren’t any good alternatives and the choice is glucagon or likely/probable death, I’m not sure “choice” really comes into it. Oh, sarcasm, I get it!

1 Like

This is why we aren’t testing this either. Lol. Not interested in battling the highs that will most certainly follow.

2 Likes

But the thing is, everyone “takes” glucagon, other than Type 1’s, right?

It’s right there with insulin, the 2 of them are almost constantly being released by the pancreas.

As far as I know, most T2’s still have functioning alpha cells, right? So they “take” it. Non-D obviously still “take” it.

Are people actually allergic to the glucagon itself, or are they allergic to the additives that are put in the injected glucagon? Or maybe they are “allergic” to the reaction when you take too much?

3 Likes