Omnipods and hot tubs?

Does anyone on Omnipods routinely use a hot tub or take hot baths (>105F)? I know its an official no-no but I’ve been playing around with hot water immersion. The goal is to soak from the neck down for 15 minutes or more. I’m careful to keep my dex on my arm above water but the pods are often on my torso and I’m less worried about one failing since the replacement cycle is quicker.

So far so good? But I’m wondering if there are any pitfalls to avoid.

3 Likes

I sometimes have to soak. Maybe it is not the best thing for the insulin, but it doesn’t kill it totally.

I have rarely had a pod go bad from being in the water. It has happened a few times though. But it was in the ocean, not a tub. It is rare, but it can happen sometimes.

Are you doing this every day? If you can possibly time it so that it happens toward the end of your pod life, that would be better.

But if not, I’d say “go for it”. Insulin in the body is exposed to 98 degrees. And so is the pod. The 105 shouldn’t kill.

And the pods are covered for something like that. If it dies, you get a new one, so no big deal.

@Marie is one to ask about pods in the water. She spends 18-20 hours a day in the ocean. :joy:

2 Likes

What happened?

@Karl.n I don’t do it routinely, mostly when I go on cruises. I nearly lost one pod, but interestingly not the G6 that was on at the same time. I had to use some body tape to hold the pod on for it’s last day (note: I went both ocean salt water swimming, fresh water pool soaking/swimming, and hot tub with that pod). I did experience noticeable insulin degradation, but my TDD did go up; I chocked that up to the food change/frequency. I was prepared for worse with extra pods/G6s.

2 Likes

I got failure alarms on them, and I had to deactivate them.

The alarm code didn’t really tell me anything. Just a generic pod failure.

@TTnyc Ocean water can be more of a killer on any electronics.

But I swim 2-3 hours at a time in the ocean, usually only once per pod. The pods have basically been fine. It is under my swimsuit which helps hold it on otherwise you might need to use something like Skin Tac or a patch to help.

I do have constant problems with site issues with the pods. But that happens when I’m not swimming too, the swimming has almost never affected my pod. I say almost, but I used to swim a lot and every once in a while one would start being askew after, it wasn’t common though. Up to this year I was swimming 1-2 times a week 2-3 hours at a time and the pod was usually okay. Right now I am on hiatus because of a back issue. (and still have site issues)

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear theres nothing definitive to watch out for. I’ve done enough swimming that I’m not too worried about just immersing the pod in water. Its more the higher temperature of a hot tub cooking the pod hardware or (less likely) the insulin.

3 Likes