Omnipod training this Friday!

Yes, his sugars drop more significantly during certain times, which is why we have different Correction Factors for him. In my mind, the “amount of insulin needed” is directly proportional to the time of the day…because only during certain times of the day do his insulin requirements increase or decrease.

We “Can” extract and reuse the remaining reservoir insulin also. There is a method of extracting it…and it’s easy. Just syringe it out. We just don’t do it right now because we found it to be less effective (but we didn’t do any major testing on this theory), once re-used, and we don’t use the full vial each month anyway. The recommended “keep time” on each vial is only 28 days (like the pens)

If it is the same time of day, have you found that a certain number of units drops him the same, regardless of how high he is?

Like if it is noon, would x units bring him from 350 to 300, or from 200 to 150. Like it doesn’t matter how high he is, x units always drops him 50 points?

My correction changes significantly when I get higher.

Yes. The times identified above are laid out as they are because (at least for now), during those specified times, one unit of insulin brings him down by those number of BG points. This setting has changed in the past and will most definitely change in the future as he continues to grow, but at this point…these settings make him not drop low, but also prevent him from skyrocketing.

@CatLady, what GREAT news!!! Congratulations! I can’t wait to read what you have to say after you start!

1 Like

@CatLady, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are going to LOVE it!!! I went from pens to the omnipod in August, and I was positively thrilled with how wonderful it was. Just being liberated from taking a shot at bedtime made me feel more normal. I didn’t really mind taking shots, but there was something about that evening shot that reminded me of disease right before bed that just affected me somehow more than the others. I also was ignorant enough not to know that with the Omniopod, the dosing could be delivered in tenths of units. This was revolutionary for me (while I was still more insulin-sensitive).

I’ll think back over my training for more. I loved what Eric suggested. Too bad about the supplies being shipped to the office. It sounds like you have a good CDE, who isn’t threatened by your interest or willingness to learn. Sounds like a great pairing!

One thing I remember is being surprised by requiring less insulin overall at the beginning. I interpreted this to be linked to better absorption–or at least less variant absorption.

Happy weekend pumping! Let us know how it goes!

2 Likes

Also wanted to say, I love this:

Sometimes, we just have to go with our guts! I don’t think you’ll be remotely disappointed with this decision. My CDE was completely underwhelmed with the Omnipod (never could figure out why), but for me it was the tubing also. I just kept insisting that it was the Omnipod I wanted. She even made me wear one home to test-run before she’d let me sign off on it. I just couldn’t get on board with a tubed pump. Have never looked back!

3 Likes

Thanks, I sure will report on my experience!

PS As @Eric suggested, I am estimating possible basal rates (based on Pumping Insulin) and making notes about my current insulin usage.

2 Likes

@CatLady, I think nobody mentioned this – quite a few pump users mention consuming slightly less insulin on the pump than on MDI, a number often quoted is 90%.

Much better to go a bit conservatively, then, and titrate up if needed? Glad I wear a CGM!

1 Like

Yes, your medical professionals will recommend the conservative approach. It took us about two weeks to get it dialed in, but we were new to pumping and took our time making adjustments, as well as a few mistakes along the way.

One other thing I wanted to suggest - I learned the hard way with my first Dexcom receiver, once it goes in your pocket with keys, the screen gets all scratched up.

I got some of this for my PDM and put it on the screen, and it works great. It is cut-to-fit, so you just cut it out and press it on over the screen.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Protector-Crystal-Definition-Precision/dp/B00NMR6EWQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1495584280&sr=1-1&keywords=cut+to+fit+screen+protector

The PDM welcome kit comes with a gel skin protector, but that doesn’t protect the screen. If you put it in your pocket or purse with a bunch of stuff, it can end up scuffed. This is a good $6 investment!

1 Like

Great point again, @eric!

I would highly suggest something like this.
http://www.target.com/p/contents-garden-party-double-zip-purse-kit-cosmetic-bag/-/A-50701438

Unfortunately, target has stopped selling them online, but I have found them in local stores and also in the cosmetic section of my local grocery (kroger/fred meyer) in a different color. Far and away the best option for carrying the PDM, and it also holds a glucose meter extra strips alcohol wipes etc. etc. Even my phone in a pinch. The thing I love the most about it is that the pdm screen is protected, and i don’t have to remove it from the bag to dose insulin. Also, it’s bright, so it doesn’t get buried in my purse or house as easily. I even put a tiny alarm receiver inside of it so that i could find it with a remote control if i misplace it in the house.

3 Likes

So I am officially a Podder!! :champagne:

(I actually had coffee to celebrate, no need to confound the transition with alcohol!)

My training was terrific–all hands-on, including filling a dummy pod with saline, affixing it to an abdominal model, and activating the pod. The trainer answered all my questions and offered tips based on her own use of the Omnipod. She also gave me her work cell so I can call her with any concerns or problems. Just awesome!! :grinning::sunglasses::smile_cat:

7 Likes

Awesome!

Let us know how you like it!

So exciting! I can’t wait to see you report how it goes!

I understand completely, same issue for me on a regular basis.
Lots of insulin resistance when blood sugar moves to the high end.

1 Like