Omnipod Looping

First off, @Trying, I apologize for this thread hijack. We can split this off if you would like. These discussions are not completely in-line with your original thread topic! If you think we should split, let’s contact an admin and do that!

@chris, what do you think? Split?

I wanted to think through this thoroughly before replying, but now after thinking about it a bit, I’d like to debate this.

One of the nice things about the normal Insulet PDM is that if you set a temp basal, you know 100% that the pod will honor that for the duration of the temp. If you set a temp basal for 2 hours and go to the hardware store and leave your PDM at home, no worries, the pod will keep that temp basal running.

Here are some scenarios I am not totally sure about, but I think that when running Loop, the Override basal would disappear.

• You set a temp Override of several hours and go out for a run and leave your RileyLink (RL) at home. I think that if Loop does not see the RL, the temps are only for 30 minutes and then it returns to the normal basal, right?

• The green light on the RL shows that it is connected via bluetooth. BUT, there is nothing on RL that shows how much battery life is left!! What if the RL charge wears out??? What if you are on a run and the RL battery dies?!? If the RL dies, after 30 minutes, does the pod return to the normal basal? Lemme tell you, that could be a killer…

• What if the pod is connected on your back side, and the RL is in your front pocket and loses connection. Is the override lost? After 30 minutes, does it return to the normal basal? What happens if your RL loses connection?!?

• What if your phone battery dies and your phone shuts off? After 30 minutes, does the pod return to the normal basal?!?

• When you are exercising, you can’t check to see if the RL has the bluetooth green light on and is still connected. There is always uncertainly that the temp basal is still in play. And if the RL battery has died or it loses connection because of a bluetooth problem, the pod returns to normal basal rates after 30 minutes, and you are toast. Again, as stated above, during exercise this is a killer.

• What if you accidentally turn Loop off?!? If you have set a temp basal but inadvertent shut the app off on your phone? The pod returns back to normal after 30 minutes!

Am I misunderstanding anything here?

Based on my understanding, I really think the ability to set a solid temp basal that does not need the RL and having Loop actively running, would be a huge benefit.

Lemme know if I am misunderstanding, and again, @Trying I apologize for the tangent.

2 Likes