Newbie general DIY loop ?’s

Thanks in advance for any info.

I’ve ordered an MM2 for libre sensor.

I’m confused regarding app (xdrip/spike) and Nightscout webpage.

Can I use just my phone/app to see BGs and look at trends without Nightscout webpage?

Or is Nightscout what holds all information to make insights and predictions for the app (xdrip/spike)?

I currently have iPhone so I guess I’ll start with Spike or Test pilot iOS or Tomato.

But willing to change to android phone if I can get the basics. Seems like that maybe more active.

Welcome to our community. You certainly have asked an interesting question. What hardware are you planning on using for the pump since I that may make a difference?

Thank you for the response. Honestly I don’t know. Still reading and trying to understand .

I thought I would see if I could get sensor (US-14), transmitter (MM2), APP (Spike/TestFlight) and Nightscout? to log values and make predictions first.

If all goes well take next step.

Ok, are you planning on using an older Medtronic pump or are you planning on using Omnipod?

Here is good post on the topic:

1 Like

I have a Medtronic 630 and 523.

And an older 522

Wow you really have a good selection of older MDT pumps. If my memory serves, you need to have a certain firmware on the 523 to make the loop work, but the 522 works on all firmware versions.

Currently, only the following Medtronic MiniMed models allow us to remotely set temporary basal rate commands, which is required to do OpenAPS:

512/712 (all firmware)
515/715 (all firmware)
522/722 (all firmware)
523/723 (with firmware 2.4A or lower)
554/754 (European Veo, with firmware 2.6A or lower; OR Canadian Veo with firmware 2.7A or lower)

On your question about Xdrip vs Nightscout. Nightscout is just a way to get the data out of your system in a usable way. I don’t think it makes any predictions. We set up a nightscout site, but my son wasn’t very interested in it. I think you have to compile your own software solution (reduced liability) to do the predictions. Here is a link to a thread talking about that.

1 Like

Thank you much appreciated. I buy one sensor and discover a whole new world regarding my diabetes and the possibilities…

1 Like