New to an insulin pump - advice?

My son uses pump bands very frequently and prefers the bands that have four or five pockets and are all fabric, i.e. they need to be put on over your head. Since they don’t have zippers or buckles they are pretty light, but not as secure as the zippered ones. There are many options out there if you look.

2 Likes

Gram weenie. You have killed me. That is all.

3 Likes

I didn’t invent the term. It is used a lot to describe cyclists who will spend big bucks on titanium bolts and group set upgrades that save a few grams of weight. Lighter weight bicycles are great. Wheel weight is more important, but nothing is a important as the motor - the rider. And my motor is not what it use to be.

4 Likes

@Chris - Thanks for weighing in. Just to clarify, are you referring to something like this? Amazon.com

1 Like

There really isn’t anything similar on Amazon, perhaps a local seamstress could make one, this one is close, but the ones we purchased have no adjust-ability, just the stretch fabric which means they need to be ordered close to your waist size. They are just fabric with a foldover to hold the equipment in place, no other retention mechanism. They have four or five pockets around the circumference

Here is one that looks similar but is adjustable - https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Diabetic-Lightweight-Accessories-Medtronic/dp/B08HLNMYC1/ref=pb_allspark_dp_sims_pao_desktop_session_based_2/134-4337772-1342733?pd_rd_w=fFoWJ&pf_rd_p=e896123b-6614-49c5-873e-d532e726c2f0&pf_rd_r=GDE8CTWFC7DXWKG3XMK8&pd_rd_r=7d72aa16-838f-4cd1-8fb1-6b641501fb06&pd_rd_wg=M7Jes&pd_rd_i=B08HLNMYC1&th=1.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

During the day, I put my pump in the coin pocket (fifth pocket) of my jeans.

I bought some Scottevest khaki pants that I use occasionally which have extra pocket space for a pump plus a hole inside the pocket that the tube can go through (intended for headphones I think). They are okay; I’m not sure I’d buy them again.

At night, I sleep in sweatpants that have big pockets. My pump goes in one pocket and my phone in the other (so that hopefully I’ll hear/feel one of them if they start alarming).

3 Likes

You just gave me an idea for sleeping with a pump. I sleep in tee shirts. Putting the pump in a pocket on the shirt with a buttonhole to pass the tubing would work well for me. I never sleep on my belly, alway one or the other side with a little on the back. Also hide the tubing from the kitties. They love to bite on cords and tubing around that size.

It would be a nice project for my granddaughter to do on her fancy sewing machine.

1 Like

I put mine in pants pocket, but always have to make sure tubing is hidden. Curious cats love to play, and once had my tubing chomped on (and split) by my cat. Have to keep tubing protected at night too!!

3 Likes

They should make flexible metal tubing covers for pump using cat lovers,
doncha think?

1 Like

Then you could even color coordinate your tubing covers and look as cool as this engine:

2 Likes

You got my sense of humor, Chris. You might get called twisted if you are not careful. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I use a variety of things like this for my phone - I don’t use a tubed pump (I use Omnipod Dash pods) but I do use the G6 so the phone has to be attached to me pretty much all the time, and attached in a place where it can see the G6 sensor. I’ve ended up with the ‘flipbelt’ as my first choice, here’s an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flipbelt

This is the one I’m currently using:

https://www.amazon.com/FlipBelt-Level-Terrain-Waist-Medium/dp/B00JF9DWWU

It’s just a stretchy tube with horizontal slits; you can pretty much stuff anything into one of the slits and even a slippery iPhone doesn’t manage to escape. I found the clasps on the other things just made them difficult to put on and the webbing belt buckles slipped leaving them loose. The flipbelt will sit on my hips, avoiding my own waistline issues.

I often don’t use it when I have a pocket, however having an iPhone in a pocket does restrict my movement so sometimes I go back to the belt.

3 Likes

The Omnipod is my first pump. I refused to consider one with tubes.

3 Likes

Certainly they all have pros and cons. I forget now what I didn’t like about the Omnipod - maybe at the time it didn’t have CGM interface.
I give lots of kudos to Tandem for developing the first commercial auto-control technology. It has certainly been helpful to me. But every day I have some issue (usually minor) with the tubes.

In fact just the other day, for the first time in 4 years, I dropped the pump and pulled the tube out of me - so had to put a new one in. That wouldn’t happen with an Omnipod.

2 Likes

Where to put your pump is a challenge for women since we wear different styles of clothing each day. The bra is my go-to place but I have stretched a lot of turtlenecks trying to get to it. ( turtleneck stretching is another pet peeve for me….what good is a turtleneck if it doesn’t hug your neck?!) I have discovered RevelWear who make tanks and tubes with pump pockets. I love these but definitely go with the tank for active wear. The material is strongest and your pump stays in place. It is easier to reach your pump to bolus and a bit more discreet. They are not cheap and there has been inconsistency in the material they use but they are very open to feedback. And, if you do put your pump in your bra, make sure the pump face is towards your body. If the pump light goes on, you will not look like a disfigured cyborg glowing from your bra!

5 Likes

Whenever I think I’ve got problems with everyday stuff, I think about what women go through, and know I have it easier.

3 Likes

That is some funny ■■■■ right there. You should give some of that material to one of the amazing women comics on Netflix right now. I bet they could put together a great 1/2 hour special for the diabetics.

2 Likes

I am not embarrassed by being diabetic. It is a fact of life that I readily share and often make light of it in conversation with others and if they ask, I am happy to discuss what I am wearing and why. I appreciate your concern. It just made me laugh when I first saw my pump glowing through my clothes and thought I would share the humor with others…I am just waiting for Neil Diamond to sing “Heartlight”!
Turn on your heartlight
Let it shine wherever you go
Let it make a happy glow
For all the world to see…thank you Neil!

5 Likes

I call myself a cyborg. My wife isa covert cyborg as her pacemaker is under the skin. :rofl:

2 Likes